Can someone truly explain to my why Math Rock ISN'T the best genre...

Can someone truly explain to my why Math Rock ISN'T the best genre? Last time I made a thread it actually turned into a Math Rock Rec thread. HA! That's the power of Math Rock.

>inb4: It's boring i'd rather listen to my 4chord Kiss songs XD

>inb4 b8

>inb4 inb4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0lD4eXLubac
youtube.com/watch?v=QPNcDUW9fQM
youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w
youtu.be/1tpJ_6YaawU?t=14m20s
youtube.com/watch?v=xRgowoyDpm8
youtube.com/watch?v=uriORahlCBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aRqxzAFo3g0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like math rock, but I don't think it's the BEST genre because it can get boring if the band doesn't slow down a bit from time to time. That's it tho, I think it's great.

math rock is fine but the "Can someone truly explain to my why Math Rock ISN'T the best genre?"- type fans are major cunts

I can't stand TTNG. The instrumentals are fine but I hate the vocals.

I like Tera Melos, Hella, Girraffes? Girraffes! and Battles.

it's not that best genre because that's subjective you silly goose.

i do like it a lot though.

First four responses and all of you like Math Rock while trying to argue it's not the BEST genre. Checkmate.

Math Rock = 2
Other Genres = 0

The new ttng album is a lot better than animals imo
less whiny emo shite

i used to loooove math rock and thought it was the best genre 4 or 5 years ago but i'm not as into it anymore so let me try lol.

a lot of math rock is just pop music with slightly more noodly guitar parts and maybe a couple measures in 5/4 or something. it doesn't really push as far as the bands / fans think it pushes and often sacrifices really robust songwriting for pretty appreciating guitar bits that don't do a ton to actually move a song forward. idk, so much of it sounds nice for a while but is really just kinda bland and inoffensive but just slightly different enough from other rock subgenres to make it seem super fresh and exciting for a while.

some earlier math rock is cool but now you have a scene of math rock bands who only listen to other math rock bands and it all sorta sounds the same and doesn't really push that many boundaries.

the only albums i still really like are
hella- hold your horse is
tera melos-patagonian rats
monster machismo- aye aye porcupine

Can anyone recommend me some great math rock bands? Something that isn't too poppy?

I like mathcore like The Dillinger Escape Plan.

lmao kill yourself fucking faggot

Nice counter argument you pathetic inbred mongrel

If I go into the classical thread right now I can find 20 people who all think classical music is superior, and none of them are arguing that classical isn't the best.

Can anyone recommend me more stuff like hella?

youtube.com/watch?v=0lD4eXLubac
youtube.com/watch?v=QPNcDUW9fQM
youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w

youtu.be/1tpJ_6YaawU?t=14m20s

youtube.com/watch?v=xRgowoyDpm8

It's a shit genre, fuck off with this meme pls.

I think Algernon perfectly blends the silly guitar antics with pop, the songs are usually short and actually go places.

listen to his stuff with marni stern

youtube.com/watch?v=uriORahlCBQ
Mouse On The Keys are tight as fuuck

i really liked them for a while and still go back to listen to fun. i always think of them as more emo than math rock but listening back to them, i guess they're just as mathy as anyone else. i agree that they do a good job of not letting the noodling get in the way of just having catchy melodies and good dynamics and all that.

i liked the three trapped tigers song! do you have a fav album by them? i've never been able to get into lightning bolt weirdly enough. there are just other bands and genres that i go to first when i'm looking for something harsh and heavy. and idk, battles have a few great songs but for the most part are exactly the kind of almost-pop-but-totally-not-because-it's-different-and-edgy shit that pushes me away from lots of math rock.

Thanks for the rec, I'll check them out,
and to OP, I also love me some math rock, but I would say that it's not the best genre because the majority of math rock is so heavily focused on the melody itself that it doesn't very often engage me in an emotional sense with vocals. When I think of my favorite artists I'm usually thinking of the ones that make me feel something. math rock doesn't really ever do that.

The first EP is probably my favorite thing they've done, but I love Route 1 Or Die and the whole EP compilation too. Silent Earthling was solid.

so..... OP are you convinced yet?

Math Rock is all melody with no atmosphere, timbre, improvisation, subtle instrumental effects, and especially no sense of rhythm. It's certainly not the best dance music. If the old saying is true that, "it's notes you don't play that matter," then Math Rock is a genre where every note is always played.

most math rock today is technique without songwriting
old school math rock is the best

Dude playing around with rhythm is one of the most frequent things math rock does.
It's like you're criticizing the idea of math rock as opposed to the actual music
Side note, does Minus the Bear count as math rock? If yes then I really like math rock

This isn't even an example of a good math rock band.

>and especially no sense of rhythm. It's certainly not the best dance music.
I don't agree with this at all. Some of it grooves so well.

youtube.com/watch?v=aRqxzAFo3g0

How does one dance to that? The only things that come to mind are pogoing and headbanging.

not the best, but very enjoyable !

btw i liked colours-anthology anything else ?

I don't think pogoing or headbanging go with that song at all.

CAN SOMEONE REC ME SOME SHIT LIKE PRETEND'S FIRST ALBUM

If you like mathcore I'd suggest Car Bomb and The Fall Of Troy.

For math rock I'd suggest GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES!, Hella, toe, Floral and CHON

bygones has Zach in it.