Why is it so acclaimed? What's so good about it?

Why is it so acclaimed? What's so good about it?

lou reed

It was innovative to an extent for its time and has influenced a lot of bands. That's it.

Otherwise nothing special on the songwriting/composition end.

The ultimate Sup Forums album in that regard. Lots of ideas that are cool with mediocre execution of those ideas, while the album's aesthetic makes it feel far more out there and experimental than it actually is.

Basically.

i have to admit i still don't get what exactly makes this band great as opposed to merely important. to me it is just not compelling music

People were surprised with Lou's gay voice

and his gay voice

Sunday Morning, Heroin, Venus in Furs and All Tomorrow's Parties are legitimately great songs.

kek

>innovative for its time and influential, but nothing special on sognwriting end
>the ultimate mu album in that regard
I don't think that is representative of mucore at all. if you take all of the consensus great albums on here and pick one at random, i think you are more likely to get a good but unimportant album than an important but mediocre album.

btw i just want to let you know that if you are saying that most mucore is stuff people just like because it has an experimental veneer and good ideas then you are dangerously close to agreeing with all your pleb friends from hs. because that is exactly what people *always* say about good music that they don't get

Same with The Beatles

Sunday Morning = proto-dream pop
I'm Waiting for the Man = proto-punk
Femme Fatale = proto-indie pop
Venus in Furs = proto-shock rock
Run Run Run = proto-psychobilly
All Tomorrow's Parties = proto-raga rock
Heroin = proto-avant folk
There She Goes Again = proto-alternative rock
I'll Be Your Mirror = proto-twee pop
The Black Angel's Death Song = proto-drone
European Son = proto-noise rock

You don't find Strawberry Fields Forever, In My Life, the medley, A Day in the Life or Eleanor Rigby compelling? Not trying to be a wrong generationer, it's just that I can think of a number of Beatles songs that are very moving on musical and lyrical levels.

There's nothing to get though. It's some pop songs that are not too different from whatever you get on the radio along with some early attempts at noise rock/post rock/shoegaze that was done better by future bands.

You're lying to yourself if you don't think a hefty amount of Sup Forums posters (not most but definitely many) browse this board so they can find weird music to show their friends/be pretentious about.

Also I think that user was talking about the general ten to twelve albums that are called Sup Forumscore, not the full chart. Those albums for the most part fit that description.

well I'm not really talking about VU in particular. you said VU is typical of mucore, ie a typical example of an album mu just likes because it is faux experimental and innovative for its time (which is almost a contradiction, incidentally). so that makes it sound like you think that in general the music that gets talked about on here is a bunch of nothing-special that people just like because it is faux experimental and historically important. and i'm saying that if that is what you think about mucore in general then you just sound like, well, a big pleb. because that is what people who aren't into music always say about the music that we like

I'm not one of these faggots (like ) who think TVU created every genre of rock, but it was one of the first rock albums that went beyond the typical Chuck Berry/The Beatles/The Rolling Stones sound.

white light/white heat is much better

well I'm not so sure. first of all you won't find much stuff here that is really all that weird/out there. if you want to persuade yourself of this just make a spotify station based on any mucore artist, and you will just hear all the other mucore artists. maybe the avant teens listening to noisy bandcamp idm and post rock fit that description, but if you are running around being pretentious because you listen to sufjan stevens then you are a fucking dork

It's my favorite album. It's the perfect mixture of experimentation with pop music.

For the most part it's electric Dylan with some seeds of La Monte Young.

The White Light/White Heat is where they really fucked with the system.
>being pretentious because you listen to sufjan stevens then you are a fucking dork
>do_you_know_where_you_are.png
And Sufjan isn't one of the artist's I'm talking about. I'm referring to this chart (and other versions of it) specifically.

Oh that. Nah I was just joking indirectly referencing pleb/patrician stuff with that one.

Greil Marcus makes a point on treating pre-rubber soul beatles as different entity from what it came after, when each members' interests start penetrating their songwriting. If you are fed up with Abbey Road and the like, I suggest you to take a closer listen to some of their first five records, there's over a dozen of authentic early 60s pop gems sitting there, all of them produced by an unified hit-maker machine.

oh shit man, if those are the albums you were talking about then you really are the kind of pleb that I was talking about. i don't love everything on this chart but there is not one album on there that is 'nothing special.' at minimum you need to give me kid a, itaots, itcotck, remain in light and loveless because those are legitimate all timers. if you seriously think kid a is just something people only like because it is 'weird' then you are truly in league with the forces of darkness

lol no

Quote the post where I said all people (as in fans of these albums in general) like these albums because of their outwardness from the mainstream instead of just a subgroup.

Oh, wait, you can't.

You can quote the post where I said a sizable amount of posters on here do like these albums because they're different from the mainstream though. It's right here.

If you had elementary level reading comprehension you would've noticed I've never aligned myself with the group I've been talking about.

>Oh, wait, you can't
lol calm down buddy. i just had you mixed up with the other guy i was arguing with . my bad

yes there are lots of toddlers out there who make entry level mucore part of their identity so they can jerk themselves off about it. but i don't know how many of the posters here are really like that. as much as we all shit on entry level mucore (like i just did), almost all of it is really good music. to the extent that people arrive here looking to put a feather in their cap, I think most of the time people are sincerely arguing about music they like. maybe what they like is influenced by their desire to be different, but I think the guy who listens to music that does nothing for him just to be pretentious about it is actually a pretty rare breed.

this album literally ruined my life

youtube comment tier