Rockism is the cancer killing Sup Forums. You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical...

>Rockism is the cancer killing Sup Forums. You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical, electronic music outside of Daft Punk/Burial/Aphex Twin or jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on because they aren't marketed predominantly by "COHESIVE CONCEPT ALBUMS!!!!". That's why Sup Forums is all rock, pop, rap and some surface level jazz and electronic.

Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0dim2ml7I
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rockism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

honestly the sad part is that this is completely true

i like this.
also why does it say scholastic on the bottom?

wow, glad that somebody wrote this

>look up the top rated rhythm and blues on RYM
>number 1 is fucking Nina Simone
Why do RYM rockists have such shit taste

Not supporting RYM or anything, they suck, but the issue is you looked at top albums instead of top compilations or singles.

>only albums ever made are rock, pop and rap
>liking pop at all
Kill yourself nigger

Found the rockist.

i imagine that some artists make a album as a full piece which is intended to be listened to in full, but i would guess this is true for about 15% of albums probably less

I don't understand, what's the problem with that?

Only was really a trend for mainstream rock music 1967-1977 and golden age hip hop
After that there are a few concept/full experience albums (MBDTF for example) but 90% of the time not really

to be fair
to be fair
there's nobody that has ever done what burial was doing on untrue, before and after, quality-wise. it's the sincerity and humanity of burial's music that makes him so much better than his one-dimensional contemporaries.

the notion that someone would create a song to fit into an album instead of making the best song possible infuriates me

>liking rock at all
Kill yourself nigger

Wait, what? Rock is generic as fuck and you rarely find any album that's meant to be appreciated as a full piece. It's the 2obscure4u shit that is released in full albums and not just a bunch of songs in a disc, and rock is far from being that.

i understand this but why it has a photo of wilson? when he said that?

Steven Wilson is the definitive rockist

Here's the thing, making a cohesive album is really fuckin hard. So when an artist is able to pull it off well I find it impressive and I give them big bonus points. But not everyone does it well and I would rather that those who don't string together 10 good songs than try to make a GY!BE album and have it be boring and monotonous. That said, I generally judge albums as a whole because that's how I usually listen to them, but I do have playlists with good songs from a variety of albums as well. Neither way is the 'right' way, both can be good both can be bad.

They don't have to have had a concept for an album to be worth listening to in full. Songs on the same album will generally have the same style to them and usually be of similar quality. If I decide "I want to listen to Belle & Sebastian", I'll just put on an album of theirs, not make a playlist of similar indie pop songs.

>GY!BE
>indie

why

Who is being a rockist here? Sup Forums shits all over Kendrick Nigger. Post anything with an electric guitar and you get a (You) with an ebin fedora meme.

Yeah but rockists will discredit/ignore genres like pop, dance, and pre-50s jazz because they're mainly singles-oriented

no need for passive-aggressiveness, user.

nice try, put more work into your bait next time

>rockists
>being anything but single lovers
stop pulling shit out your ass OP

He had fans mail him their iPods so they could be destroyed because they took away from the "full album experience".

Rockist doesn't mean "likes rock music."

What about all the threads we had when the new D'angelo record came out and all the love/praise it recieved? What about /bleep/? What about the classical general? What about all the threads about folk artists? I know you're trying to ruse but come on, put some effort in it at least.

see

see >You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical, electronic music outside of Daft Punk/Burial/Aphex Twin or jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on because they aren't marketed predominantly by "COHESIVE CONCEPT ALBUMS!!!!". That's why Sup Forums is all rock, pop, rap and some surface level jazz and electronic.

>What about all the threads about folk artists?
Trad folk != contemporary folk which is even more rockist than actual rock

Nowhere does OP say anything about rockism meaning "liking rock music."

They are singles/live recordings genres, the point being the format, rockists think all music should be in album format, like most rock

Should have specified it in the OP. I knew you'd cherry pick that one thing, but what about the rest of the things I addressed?

You know what's funny?

I can snap and kill every mother fucker on this board if we met IRL.

Seriously, think about it. I'd have your windpipe crushed, your nose flattened, your teeth shattered, your fingers snapped, your ribs broken, your pelvis pulverized, and your eyes gouged out before you would even know what's happening.

You guys talk big shit. Watch yourselves.

>singles
what is /bleep/?
>R&B & Funk being single genres

Classical has general threads almost everyday unless that's recently changed.
pic related

/classical/, /bleep/ and /jazz/ only have singular generals that each last days on end with

not obscure enough

if a black music artist was ever printed on vinyl, theyre too mainstream

Does it shock you that a board comprised of what I imagine is primarliy white, 16-25 year old males who are mostly suffering from a lack of a romantic life seem to enjoy indie rock (and other rock sub genres), pop and rap?

The genres in question may not be filling up the boards with threads, but they have threads and I'm sure good discussions occur in them. So I guess my point is that you will get good threads about the genres you mentioned, just not constantly like you will about more popular genres.

albums are shit
just listen to the particular songs you like, unless you are retarded and force yourself to listen to listen to songs you don't like

Rockism and Poptimism are killing this board collectively.

So you agree with OP, fair enough then.

if everybody in this thread was executed in front of me I wouldn't blink tbqh

i think he's lightened up a bit since then. he put his solo albums on streaming services

But you're in this thread too

I'm in your mom faggot

>he doesn't listen to full electronic releases

I bet you don't like non-radio versions of mixes as well, casual.

Thank god

>You will never get a good thread about soul, R&B, funk, folk, classical, electronic music outside of Daft Punk/Burial/Aphex Twin or jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on because

Because nobody cares about those genres here. Nobody's stopping you from making a thread about any of those things, your discussion won't get sabotaged or derailed by trolls. The demand for these genres just isn't high enough.

I don't agree that it's the "cancer killing Sup Forums" and that "you will never get a good thread about soul, r&b, funk, folk, classical electronic music outside..." nor do I agree with the fact that the board is "all rock, pop, rap and some surface level jazz and electronic". He's saying definitively that it's a cancer, that you will "never" get this or that and that "all" threads are x & y.

Sure more popular genres are discussed more frequently, does it take a genius to deduct that based on the demographics and popularity of those genres that less popular genres like the ones discussed in OP are going to suddenly overtake what most of the userbase listens to? Not really. It's not a cancer or rockism, it's just people tend to discuss what they enjoy, and more people tend to enjoy the genres he has an apparent problem with.

I'm sure OP has a point (or is trolling?), but he worded it terribly and used absolutes and a condescending tone to try to get his point across. Basically there might be some common ground but I don't really agree with any of his statements, rather there might be some points in this discussion we can agree on.

>soul
shit
>funk
shit
>r&b
shit
>folk
shit
>electronic
shit

these are all objectively correct facts and you should kill yourself for liking any of these shit """"""genres""""""

Oh I forgot, classical is the shittiest of all

And here you see the rockist in his natural habitat.
Hate genres do you like, Mr Rockist?

nice

I like all sorts of music, but evidently your primitive mind cannot handle these things so I won't even tell you

>I like both post-punk AND shoegaze!

enjoy your monkey music you degenerate

I guess you listen to black metal too

Metal is for nu-male cucks and sjws

>implying nu-male SJW's could withstand true illegal guttural bulldozing all-devouring slamming brutality

youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0dim2ml7I

top getting rekt a new asshole in this itt

>top
op

*tips*

>R&B
Who do you even talk about
>funk
Everyone likes funk, not many people LOVE funk
>soul
What is there to say about soul? It's a great genre. I'd like to see some threads with more obscure soul artists for hip-hop sampling desu
>folk
>who are Fleet Foxes, Nick Drake, Comus, Bon Iver, and Bob Dylan and why doesn't anyone ever talk about them
There aren't really folk specific threads, but folk artists are brought up very frequently
>classical
I wholeheartedly disagree. Have to ever been in a classical general? Them niggas go deep.
>electronic
Ehh, you have a point
>jazz
Many people here actually have really great taste in jazz, it's just that no one seems to want to talk about it

Hip-hop is so popular on Sup Forums right now bc it's a controversial genre. You either love it or hate it, and it creates really heated "arguments" (mostly just memes and buzzwords). Also, it's simple enough for everyone to discuss. Say what you will about rap, but it's a great catalyst for conversations mane.

>jazz outside of Miles/Coltrane the list could go on
Blindfold threads are a thing.

>who are Fleet Foxes, Nick Drake, Comus, Bon Iver, and Bob Dylan and why doesn't anyone ever talk about them
>There aren't really folk specific threads, but folk artists are brought up very frequently
Trad folk not contemporary/pop folk you mongoloid

>>who are Fleet Foxes, Nick Drake, Comus, Bon Iver, and Bob Dylan and why doesn't anyone ever talk about them
Sigh...

>Trad folk

nobody wants to listen to niggers sing about the babylon machine or any of that shit

I wish there was more discussion of Americana and Alt-Country. Every thread I make gets 20 responses tops. Is it because of the pleb attitude that "country music is for rednecks"?

Go watch NASCAR or something

>electronic is a genre
please that's like saying "live" is a genre

kek

what is that even supposed to mean

You missed it just last night, actually! /roots/ is a general that talks about/listens to all things roots music related! I'm planning on starting it up every night with a specific genre theme, but every /roots/ related genre is allowed.

Here's last night's admittedly slow thread:

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rockism

I'll definitely be keeping a look out tonight, roots music is the best

nice bait

Why can the average Sup Forumstant not comprehend that some people just enjoy music in different ways? Is it because they're mostly underage autists with no friends?

What's wrong with Nina simone?

It's not b8 you spearchucker

Well, would anyone on here even dare to disagree?

Jazz has been a genre of albums since even before rock was

>Despite the name, it is not rockist to like rock music, or to write about it. One may also care about R&B or norteƱo or bubblegum pop, but discuss them in a rockist way. The idea is built into the way people talk informally about what kinds of popular music interest them. It is also possible to criticize rock music in a rockist way, such as dismissing a rock band because a writer feels as though they have no good albums and only solid singles.

Literally from the article.