Why does Sup Forums still pretend that RAM is a bad album?

Why does Sup Forums still pretend that RAM is a bad album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=quHVq28Y_gg
youtube.com/watch?v=O2qEA9_4wkY
youtube.com/watch?v=TKKGrKaix44
youtube.com/watch?v=4HWZWvq6bJE
youtube.com/watch?v=uW9054Eq7U4
youtube.com/watch?v=uXj8FM7lTrw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why does Sup Forums still pretend that Daft Punk aren't Calvin Harris / Deadmau5 / Guetta tier EDM?

Because normies

one of the best normie music releases of the 2010s imo

Because it's terrible just like everything Daft Punk produces.

Retro rubbish. Didn't have the minimalism that makes DP albums so good.
Even if this was released in the 70s, it'd still be mediocre

its the best album of the decade imo.

>Daft Punk
>minimalism

minimalism as a musical element, not a genre
you fool
example:
youtube.com/watch?v=quHVq28Y_gg

I love RAM, but i love everything Daft Punk do so i'm not sure my opinion matters

What do you mean, I love RAM

Its was a really good album
>"muh is popular" then is bad....

Because it's legitimately a mess of an album

It's really not great. I dunno it's just retro-fetishism - trying to tip a hat to the disco and funk albums of the '70s but they zapped any kind of personality and soul and grittiness from those records they tried to imitate. The production is so clean that it became sterile.

it's just awful. Well engineered though

how about Doin it Right

not that guy but doin it right sounded like a christmas song.

fair, that was probably the best song on RAM and sounded the most like old DP

What's good about it?

Love that simple 808 loop and vocal melody is rather nice, but Panda Bear's delivery just sound super stilted to me.

Doin it Right is rubbish, m8. The best songs are Touch, Motherboard or Contact.

>best
I think you mean 'most forgettable'

>Touch is forgettable
>Doin it Right isn't

imo the only good songs are Touch and Get Lucky
everything else is garbo

How is everyone forgetting that Giorgio song? If it didn't have so much talking it would be solid 9 to a 10

>talking shit about Giorgio's monologue

man I hate Touch. That guys voice (Paul Williams), the Daft Punk choruses, the melodramatic strings, the chorals... There is nothing I find touching about that track.

>My name is Giovanni Giorgio
>but everybody calls me... Giorgio
>BUM BUM BUM BA BUM BA BUM BUM BUM

>but Panda Bear's delivery just sound super stilted to me.

Just like everything he has done since Person Pitch

Fragments of Time is the best tracks btw, pure yacht rock

THESE FRAGMENTS OF TIME

Daft Punk should put their energy more into producing for other artists or just continue to make house
they are excelent producers but need some guidance

objectively wrong

>just like everything he has done since Person Pitch
lol this. he almost singlehandedly ruined that one pantha du prince album with his awkward feature.

if not the flat out worst, RAM is the most disappointing album ever made. the music is not only bad but is basically for pussies and homos with its lounge-y cliche aesthetic. On a composition level, it keeps the repetitive structure of their house tracks without retaining any of the energy or including any variation, leaving you with watered down, uninteresting, straight up cheesy music that people only like because it's Daft Punk. Listen to Alive 2007 and then RAM; what the fuck happened? If you like RAM you're probably a loser or a fag.

Some dipshit on youtube made a better track in an afternoon out of the 15 second commercial than anything on the actual album youtube.com/watch?v=O2qEA9_4wkY

Remember when you thought RAM was going to be great and the Robots were going to bring life back to music? And then you heard "Game of Love"

I don't hate the album as much as you, but Game of Love was legitimately a complete travesty.

>it's bad because it's not house

>"So nobody told me what to do,
>"and there was no preconception of what to do."

>rhyming 'what to do' with 'what to do
now ya fucked it up

>rhyming
It was a fucking interview you idiot

But did you at least like Giorgio by Moroder?

it was still a terrible rhymed, idiot

>On a composition level, it keeps the repetitive structure of their house tracks without retaining any of the energy or including any variation
It was repetitive but their old shit had little to no variation, whereas RAM being mostly acoustic and human-played meant there was always variation
The repetition and little-to-no-variation was part of the minimalism of their old stuff, which made it feel so bare and robotic (in a good way)

I don't think its a bad album, but its nowhere near as good as Discovery or Alive 07. I quite liked Game of Love, as well as Within, Lose Yourself and Doin it Right.

I'd probs give it a 6/10

because Sup Forums edgelords are hipsters who dislike that's it's not 'underground' enough

maybe you should learn to differentiate between structural variation and "muh human touch" "variation"

>what is Discovery

>their old shit had little to no variation
which is absolutely fine when it's hype tracks but not when its soft acoustic "pop" because all of its energy peters out pretty quickly

true, but even structurally there was way more variation in RAM
the repetition in HAA and earlier is ridiculous, borderline laughable
Ones that come to mind are Robot Rock, Superheroes, High Life, Make Love

I reiterate: I think this is a good thing, its what made their older albums so memorable

Like I said, I think its a good thing that their old shit was so repetitive and minimalist. Thats the Daft Punk sound
I think RAM is pretty meh compared to Discovery and Alive 07, but that other guys criticisms didnt make sense

because it literally has one good song which is touch
none of the others are catchy or good

Game of Love is one of the better tracks on the album, just because it's not super pumped up like anything on Homework doesn't make it bad. And that track you posted is just a shell of the actual thing for Get Lucky. It's not better. I dislike almost half the tracks on RAM but it's got it's moments.

not that guy but that track he posted is WAY better than the original version, simply because he repeated the only great part of the song (the vocoder bit) and that alone makes it better than all the shit with Pharrell

plus its way closer to DP's old stuff (super repetitive, use of not-so-clean samples etc)

Fine if you don't like Pharrell, but the vocoder on it's own doesn't make the song. It's totally lacking. But they could have spun it better if they'd actually taken it more in that direction I guess.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.
Still a dope song though.

He's not a damn leprechaun, he doesn't have to rhyme good... not that he was rhyming at all.

You're straight up lying if you don't think Get Lucky isn't catchy. I don't care what music you listen to.

bruh when they teased that vocoder bit on their website, my expectations for the album shot through the roof. its so perfect, it totally outshines the rest of the song

he wasn't trying to rhyme, he was just talking normally. Do you never repeat a phrase occasionally in speech?

No, I like the idea in concept but if you're not going to evolve your songwriting skills above house music, which they didn't, just don't bother changing it.

It's okay. I never listen to it anymore.

I'm very aware of how their old music is and what makes it good, thank you very much. I agree with you to a point that there's more variation in RAM, like you're not going to find a track like Touch on any of their other albums lets say. But the structural variation you find in RAM is actually way more predictable, boring, cookie-cutter compositionally than their house shit. Look at that garbage track Instant Crush for instance. You might argue that it has more variation than Robot Rock, but it's super super super fucking basic and uninspired. So, like I was saying, it'd have been better if they just didn't bother (I don't think Human After All is that good by the way).

Also, you're forgetting how deep the mix is on the Homework tracks which makes a lot of the ridiculously listenable over time. With repetitive dance music it's all about the tones and detail and the mix, and I'd argue they pulled it off way better before.

Thank You. That vocoder bit literally encompasses what everyone should be feeling about the album within one bar of music. That one little measure is more fun and hype and catchy than anything that came out of the entire project, yet instead of just fucking looping it and making us shit our pants they tried to get all pretentious and serious with it and fell flat on their faces.

Considering it's by Daft Punk - the people who threw arguably the most beloved party soundtrack of all time - Game of Love is probably the worst track ever made. I can't think of anything that comes close There's absolutely nothing redeeming about that song. what's wrong with you? Have you listened to the lyrics? Are you a 75 year old grandma? I will seriously never forget the disappointment of hearing that for the first time

um yeah except he did rhyme "what to do" with "what to do" and guess what-- it turned out atrocious

oh im sure i do it all the time in speech, but not in a song because rhyming a word or a phrase with itself is a big musical faux pas

It's shit desu

who remembers hearing this and getting hype as fuck and being let down when the full song came out?
youtube.com/watch?v=TKKGrKaix44

But he wasn't trying to rhyme, it wasn't musical, it wasn't trying to musical. It's an old dude talking about his life as an introduction to a song.

It's a faux pas because it shows that you can't think of anything else to rhyme it with. But this has literally nothing to do with rhyme! The guy isn't fucking trying to rhyme in the first place! Nothing he said previously rhymes whatsoever! He's not singing! He's not rapping! He's not speaking in meter! He's not reciting poetry! It's not even fucking spoken word! It's an interview!!!! He's just talking!!!!!!

>"Hey son, go turn on the car, and also put the suitcase in the car"
>"Wow mom, rhyming '"the car" with "the car"', now ya fucked it up, what a terrible rhymed"

FUCK YOU FUCKING IDIOT!! THE ONLY THING STUPIDER THAN YOU IS THIS FUCKING CAPTCHA!!!

Chill, it's just bait

FUCK I FORGOT TO ADD THE PICTURE OF THE CAPTCHA

got me good

me. it was better in my head user... youtube.com/watch?v=4HWZWvq6bJE

>wasn't trying to rhyme
what he did or didn't ~intend~ to do is none of my concern and none of yours either-- he rhymed in the song and it made it into the final cut of the album. the execution is what's sloppy, not the intent.

its sounds completely amateurish from a musical perspective, which is arguably the only perspective you can interpret music from

The 10 minute Daft Punk remix of it is actually kind of good if you haven't heard it. The mix is way better than in the original and they play out the whole 'organic/analog music but house' idea at least a little successfully.

they're "intended" to be close-ups of bill boards you dense retard

I like the mellowness, groove and sound of the synths. I don't mind the lyrics/vocals too much on the track either, maybe even like them, but I can easily see how someone could hate them too because I can't fucking stand "Within" which is the real stinker here.

>It's an interview
but isn't it funny how i heard it in a song instead of on cnn and read the transcript on lyricsfreak.com and not the new yorker?

you're disgusting me user. cleanse your soul with Guy-Man and company

youtube.com/watch?v=uW9054Eq7U4

Just returning to Something About Us on Discovery for a second, Game of Love shouldn't have thrown you so much really. These two tracks are quite close, except Game of Love sounds more layered and less like Owl City.

Might get some hate but Something About Us is a bad track and the worst on the album, it's like the soundtrack to a middle school kiss.

>this is my favorite album of all time

I thought Random Access Memories was good. Probably the best cohesive work by Daft Punk. I still enjoy the songs on Discovery more.

People have nostalgia googles at this point for Discovery. I would include myself in that. I don't like RAM, it's a giant step down for me in comparison. Is it a fair comparison after x amount of years of nostalgia? Nope. But there it is.

>googles

They tried to go the DUDE RETRO LMAO route with this and while it worked really well on some songs (Give Life Back To Music, Giorgio By Moroder, Instant Crush, Touch) it didn't work as well on some other songs (Game of Love, Within, Lose Yourself To Dance). Doin' it Right, Contact, and Motherboard are downright some of their best songs though.

1 new justice track just btfo'd every song of RAM
youtube.com/watch?v=uXj8FM7lTrw

yup, truth.