What does Sup Forums think of Van Dyke Parks? Great musician or circus music pioneer?

What does Sup Forums think of Van Dyke Parks? Great musician or circus music pioneer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nOmA3sS34ls
youtube.com/watch?v=u1npuRr5xsc
youtube.com/watch?v=tB6JwCmTIEw
youtube.com/watch?v=GwizSFM1xZ4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Song Cycle is a 10/10

I don't know about the rest of his discography though

Looks like Rivers Cuomo

worth looking into if you liked Song Cycle

Do you think he's ever had sex?

he has a son senpai

Dirty hippy sex maybe.

youtu.be/nOmA3sS34ls

honestly you should listen to everything he's done, none of them are as good as Song Cycle but they're all pretty good, some better than others though. he's only got like seven or eight albums so you could listen in a day or two.

He has a lot of collaborations too though

Ys was one of them

He made some decent showtunes, but personally I'd rather listen to Looney Tunes music.

Kitsch shit. His fans should just listen to operettas and Broadway showtunes

I don't like showtunes but I like his music

guess that doesn't make sense.

Christgau?

His Twitter is funny

Twin Fantasy is my favourite record.

He produced and wrote some of the music for this jap guy's album in the 70s its pretty lit
youtube.com/watch?v=u1npuRr5xsc

I absolutely adore him.

Song cycle is really up there as one of my top 5 records of all time. First couple times I listened to it it gave me headaches, but I've grown to adore it.

None of his other releases really did match up with Song Cycled, though Discover America, jump!, and arrangements vol. 1 are all great in their own right.

Songs cycled is an album I foolishly put off after hearing discover america an clang of the yankee reaper, an album so bad even parks himself describes it as "braindead", and thinking the rest of his career was dedicated to weird calypso. Songs Cycled is really great though, definitely worth checking out if you loved song cycle.

I can't exactly tell you just why I love him so much, but he's one of my favorite musicians of all time. His twitter is a goldmine, too. Full of that old-man-dont-give-a-fuck style humor, upbeat cynicism, and that parks brand psudeo-intellectualism that will leave you scratching your head trying to descipher his tweets for a few minutes.

While his music isn't exactly "genius", I love his eclectic, styles, and his puzzling lyrics.

Love him

He certainly isnt everyone's cup of tea though, I can I definitely see why someone wouldn't like him.

I can't tell good production from bad production, so I cant really tell you anything about his production skills either.

>First couple times I listened to it it gave me headaches

Thats how it was with me

I listened to it on a rec from Sup Forums, had no idea what the fuck I listened to...

Then I listened to Songs Cycled for some reason, and really enjoyed it. Went back to Songs Cycle and it finally clicked I guess.

is he responsive on twitter? someone should ask why he parted ways with Frank Zappa before he (zappa) got big.

>In 1965, Parks briefly joined Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention on stage, where he was referred to as "Pinocchio."[16] After being asked why he left, he said, "because I didn't want to be screamed at",[20] .

Occasionally it looks like

Sounds about right

Song Cycle definitely is a little compressed and fuzzy, could be more clear sounding. I think Lenny Waronkner did the best he could considering the sheer amount of shit on that album (i.e. bending the tape, Parks's thin airy vocals etc). Sill SC is GOAT

>Eiichi Ohtaki recalled that Parks was drunk during production and tried to lecture them about Pearl Harbor and World War II.[5]

Kek

If you like this, check out haruomi hosono's "hosono house"

Pretty sure he's in happy end too but I dont know as I've just learnt about them

Seriously, what did he mean by this?

Didn't want to be screamed at? I don't get it. Yelled at by Zappa or by audiences?

If he wasn't on drugs Zappa probably wouldn't yell at him

He almost fucked some girl and he's redpilled as fuck

He tweets in riddles

I thought that was Weird Al when I first saw this thread

Thats it

What did he mean by this?

top kek

youtube.com/watch?v=tB6JwCmTIEw

Any other interviews with young VDP?

No homo, but I find his voice, accent and manner of speaking to be quite soothing.

youtube.com/watch?v=GwizSFM1xZ4
Youngish, and not an interview, but he's so charming

So what are your Song Cycle spiritual successors? I feel this way about Hawaii Pt 2

yeah he's in happy end. Hosono House is really great though. I prefer it to a lot of stuff from Happy End.

He's good. Song Cycle is his only truly exceptional album, but he's had flashes of brilliance here and there.

Jump! is actually his second best album, as weird as it is (being a soundtrack to accompany a children's picture book)

In 65 they working at bars so probably audiences.

I got him to sign my copy of Ys. He seemed like a pretty nice, warm person, although there was a certain rapey creepiness to his warmth. Might just be "old southern gentleman" though.

Or you just might be retarded.

He's a funny guy and I'd definitely like to spend hours talking with him and asking him about the artists he's worked with.

He's a fucking asshole.