Wow user you listen to whole albums? I only download songs I like

>wow user you listen to whole albums? I only download songs I like

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CZK2EmmGLNc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who are you quoting?

>wow user you're a rockist who will listen to tracks they don't enjoy just to claim you're not a pleb

>wow user i cannot listen to whole albums because my attention span lasts 15 minutes

My sister and I had an argument like this the other day. She said that just picking out the tracks that she liked was better, and I said that listening to the full album was the way the artist intended for it to be listened to.

I'm not saying that the album is the superior format or anything, but if the artist made it as an album, I feel like that's the way it should be consumed. You wouldn't tear off a piece of a painting because you liked that little piece, but the rest was boring, would you. That's not to say I don't break my own philosophy though. I listen to single tracks all the time

>the way the artist intended for it to be listened to.
do you also eat the box to your cereal

Well, the cereal company doesn't intend for me to eat the box, so no. And if they did, I still wouldn't, because that's a stupid analogy

Yeah but what if I like all the tracks on the albums I get?

the artist doesnt intend for you to listen to the whole album, thats just how its packaged

I eat the bowl for my taco salad

Stop listening to shit albums then.

Why would they make the tracks if they didn't want me to listen to them?

that's like asking if I put my ear up to the jewel case of a CD

The album isn't a package, it's a medium. A lot of artists, though not all, make the tracks on an album cohesive, or make them fall under a certain theme. It's comparable to scenes in a movie or chapters in a novel

>i only read the chapters i like

Unless it's a track I absolutely cannot stand, I always listen to full albums

This.

Skipping tracks on albums of artists like Metallica is perfect ly valid
Skipping tracks on artists like Nick Cave &the bad seeds is idiotic

This whole thing is new, considering you couldn't skip right to a song on vinyl. So it's definitely more than a "package", some albums might feel like that, but that's not the intention.

>i only read the chapters i like

That's the argument, yeah. You wouldn't skip a chapter, so why would you skip a track?

this, as long as the album is just a collection of songs rather than a songs falling under a cohesive theme, than it's fine to skip around I guess. To keep up the literary analogy, it's like the difference between a collection of short stories, and a novel.

I'm not saying that the album is the superior format, by the way. There's nothing wrong with singles or live recording or anything

>considering you couldn't skip right to a song on vinyl.
wut

read

>You wouldn't tear off a piece of a painting because you liked that little piece, but the rest was boring, would you

Dumb analogy.

The album format is just a commercial practice of selling a bunch of songs in bulk. It was born our of technological limitations because at the time we only had vinyl records.

1 track/song = 1 painting

1 album = many paintings sold in one package

>It's comparable to scenes in a movie or chapters in a novel

Another not so good analogy. Music is not a storytelling medium.

>The album format is just a commercial practice of selling a bunch of songs in bulk. It was born our of technological limitations because at the time we only had vinyl records.
I understand this, but it's been half a decade since the album has become the standard way to sell music, and some musicians have taken advantage of that.

Like I said before, in a lot of cases, all the tracks of an album fall under a cohesive idea or theme or whatever. Like a concept album, or an album that is actually just one ~40 minute song split into multiple tracks

>Music is not a storytelling medium
in a lot of cases, it is. I'm not personally a fan of concept albums, but a lot of times, a story is told over the course of a full album.

To have an album be a full, cohesive work of art is the artists option, and if they choose to make it that way, then the album becomes more than "selling songs in bulk"

Idk if your analogy really makes sense. I think the short stories / novels analogy is much better, and when I buy any kind of book I will still read it in order because it just seem dumb to skip certain stories because it's not like I'm reading a shitty author, otherwise I would simply not read the book, so you can expect at least something decent from each work.

>Like I said before, in a lot of cases, all the tracks of an album fall under a cohesive idea or theme or whatever. Like a concept album, or an album that is actually just one ~40 minute song split into multiple tracks

They are a minority, though. That is an old fad in rock music, and the gimmick has been dead for decades.

90% of albums are just a collection of songs sold together for economical convenience, as it always was.

youtube.com/watch?v=CZK2EmmGLNc

>what are singles
>what are EPs
Try again

>Wow user. You download albums? I just steam songs I like.

ftfy

Literally my friend and me, same exacts words (minus the "user", obviously)

It's a shame, how else would you get to know music if you don't even bother to listen to the artist's other songs you'll potentially like?

Even if I intend to retrieve one song, I try to download the album

Most of the time albums fit together at least musically speaking and have a deliberate order, including intro and all that shit.
I really would have a hard time naming an album where the songs didn't share a similar aesthetics or made a musical motif advance throughout its length.
Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

That's not really so. Most lyrics are just poetry and imagery. It gives the singer something to sing, and allows him her to embed their personality into the music, which helps sell more music.

Most albums /my/ mistakenly believes are "concept albums" (quoted for a reason) simply aren't. A lot of said albums contain songs that are scraps from earlier projects.

Kid A is an example of this.

>albums only ever have like 3 good songs. I listen to an album all the way through like once, but after that I'll just go back to the songs. No albums have good songs all the way through

>/my/

*Sup Forums

I disagree. Concept albums may be scarce these days, but an album can still be a deliberate piece of art itself, rather than a package containing art. I mean my favorite album of this year is.

All that said, I can admit that your description of an album might be more prevalent. But all I'm saying is that if the artist did intend for the album to be consumed as an album, then that's the best way to consume it. If they didn't, then it's not. But i feel that even in top 40, there's at the very least a deliberate "flow" of the tracks on an album

Do the following excercise then: Take a random song from Kid A and change it with a random song from Pablo Honey. Does it sound coherent? Obviously no, since each album has its own aesthetic direction that's presented to you using the songs as a medium. Now please leave and kill yourself, you memer.

Mostly just your imagination, but it could be because the songs were written in the same era, and recorded at the same studio.

What about Death Grips? Their albums were all written within the span of like 2 or 3 years.

>Kid A
>a concept album
I've never heard it described as such. Like that other poster said, concept albums are admittedly scarce, but my point that an album can be a full cohesive piece of art still stands. Emphasis on "can", they aren't always

Not only was some od Kid A made with some scraps of old material intended to be released on earlier albums, but a lot of songs recorded for Kid A didn't make it and ended up being on Amnesiac instead.

Does that bother you? Does that hurt your "muh albums" narrative?

>wow user you listen to whole albums?
I'm just as confused, too. I didn't know that people did this.

>All that said, I can admit that your description of an album might be more prevalent.

That's good that you can admit that. Most people here have completely drink the "muh albums" cool aid and have no idea what they are doing.

>Being this casual about music.

No wonder Sup Forums has turned to shit.

Yeah, I mean, whether or not the artist uses the album as just a package for the music or as a piece of art itself is just an option that they make, and one choice isn't inherently better than the other. Some people just seem really dead set on the idea that the album is the be all, end all format

That anime girl obviously

>le young arrogant music aficionado

i'm an oldfag /lit/ tourist with pretty good taste in art as a whole - i only listen to random songs these days.

and most of those songs are rap too.

this shit doesn't matter as much as you think it does.