CAN YOUR FAMILY SPEAK ENGLISH?

I just overheard a woman tell a tourist "I'm not spik bree tis.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

my mom can but with a heavy portuguese accent. She's a dentist and took classes on the side just to learn it

my dad can only say a few words but he never really bothered learning it

they don't live in the UK btw

Mostly no.

wow I didn't know French people were this dumb

They just have the pride to refuse to give in to the Anglo-Saxons like the rest of the world so cravenly does.
Only France keeps her honor.

Yes
Even my grandparents know some english, but don't like it

Of course. My 90-year-old grandmother even has a master's degree in English. (Though she ended up working as a banker instead of an English teacher)

>le weekend
>le sandwich
ah yes

>not being linguistically cucked in the current year
makes u think

smart girl

Tu veux dire "fin-de-semaine" et "lequel-sable" ?

Loan words are inevitable.
It doesn't mean we speak English on a daily basis, back when French was the pioneer language is science, litterature or philosophy (all three transparent words for instance), the English language borrowed words from us as well.
Nowadays, American English is undeniably the new lingua franca and common words such as "weekends" have entered our language for lack of a proper equivalent in French, doesn't mean shit.
To answer the OP, no one speaks English on me mum's side, but my father's side is slighlty more educated so they can jabber it while rocking that French accent.

but can she speak American?

>"weekends" have entered our language for lack of a proper equivalent in French
What did they call them before in French? How did you tell people you can't wait for the weekend?

Mom studied it and dad learned the basics solely through exposure, same with German.

Yeah
They mostly speak in it too

>extent of my E in GCSE French
jemappelle james. jhabite en angleterre

i know lad, was just poking fun.

see

We didn't have "week-ends", we only didn't work on Sundays, where people would usually go to the church. This dated practice has led to a few expressions that still reflect on this tradition such as
> Sunday being referred to as "Le jour du Seigneur" ("the day of the Lord")
> "mettre ses habits du Dimanche" => to put on your Sunday best

But mostly, people just didn't have the concept of "week-ends", they just called it Samedi and Dimanche and since every body knows you didn't work on a Sunday it was enough.

Yes, but my father still fucks up English sometimes.

>That feel when your grandparents don't know what they're buying because the big text in some products is in English.

>don't know what they're buying
>massive picture of item on sale next to the text
are they also blind.

my dad can basically hold a conversation but it's a little awkward and he struggles a little bit with it
my mom and stepmom can't
my grandparents definitely can't

My mom is fluent, my little brother is also. My sister is useless with English though.
I'm easily the best at it in my family since I've used it on a daily basis since around 2007.

>user why are you so good at english? how do you do it?

pulled pork is not a common food item in the nordic region, it's a new meme food that just arrived in the stores
so no, oldfags will not recognize it

>Half of his language vocabulary is composed of french loanwords

They thought it was chicken.

REEEEEEEEE, stop triggering me!

Yes. My parents speak 4 languages each.

My dad was attending school when the Brits still here, so he can speak English really well.

My mother went to school after that era and only knew few words (mostly the localised version of it)
She's taking English classes on the weekends so at least she knew how to read it.

You can't buy Pulled Pork in stores

Yes bc both my parents are educated Pakistanis who have lived in America for 20 years

Almost everyone on my mother's side has a spotless posh-sounding British accent due to most of them being sent to boarding school there and almost everyone on my father's side has a typical Dutch accent when speaking english. My uncle who lived in Canada for the last 15 years has a funny Dutch-Canadian accent now.
I have a typical Dutch accent too even though I was always on top of my English classes.

whatever mr. contrarian it's a box on the store shelf with "pulled pork" printed on it, your semantics on wether it's genuine pulled pork or not doesn't matter

No they, can't. My sister is dumb as fuck and my parents and grandparents didn't study it in school.

Well it's like buying a frozen pizza without qualifying the "frozen" part

No but a normal person will never need english at any point of their life here

don't be a food snob

It's not being snobby, it's just true, 8 hours slow cooked pulled pork has to be cooked at home

Dad is a classic pup-loving, rugby playing english chap, so yeah we can speak english. Though my mom's family can't for shit

You can say that for every 8 hour slow cooked meal, grasping at straws m8

>every 8 hour slow cooked meal
Never heard of supermarket versions of those

Only my dad and my brother.
I can speak a little, but my mom is seriosuly stupid AF with heavy American accent. I kept telling her why is she so cucked with accents when she doesn't fucking speak it like natives.

She doesn't listen to a high-school grduate NEET.

American > poop > english

All of my family members and close relatives speak relatively fluent English, except my grandparents but when they went to school they studied German instead.

Hi Juncker

Yes. Had no idea it should take that long 2bh.
Lidl also sells other American foods like that and people prepare them in the ways they come up with.
They are advertised as USA products with an image of the flag and Statue of Liberty thought they're like "made in Poland" or such.

Parents - nope.
Siblings - yes.

>EU education, thinks american and poop are languages.

Obviously yes. Now that they're both retiring I suggested they pick up learning a langauge, to help them stay sharp.

My gf's father doesn't speak English what so ever. Her sister apparantly is fluent but too autistic to speak it in front of strangers. Her mother understands it perfectly and speaks a little bit. I think some practice she could speak it easily. Her accent is ridiculously thick.

I can speak english and a bit of italian
My father and brother can speak english and spanish
my mother can speak english spanish a bit of italian and a bit of russian

the rest of my family can only speak french though

they can just look at the pictures, how about some pie? mmmmm, pie

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin

This. Had one kind of odd experience once trusting the image.
>visit Bulgaria
>souvenir a box of "candies", since not being able to read the box since it's all local language.
>try to eat them together but notice they were actually small and colourful soaps

I have never heard anyone except fennoswedes speak proper English.

>American English is undeniably the new lingua franca
if you're european and speak english like a yank you look like a massive mug

That's raspberries you nincompoop

I don't know about Finns but a lot of Swedes have problems with pronouncing the ch sound. Apart from that they are usually pretty good.

Fennoswedish is nothing like Swedish

It's just a t sound plus a sh sound

No, I am the only one in the family who speak this meme language.

>That's raspberries
in a pie crust, dipshit

Mom and dad do, so does my sister,
grandma doesn't and my other, now dead, grandparents didn't. Uncle doesn't bu his wife does, their son is learning it.