Why do people listen to music...

Why do people listen to music? I am 23 years old and other than a few times in highschool when I tried to get into music I have not listened to it alone. Of course I still hear music when I am with friends or in video games or tv shows or movies, but I never just listen to music because its boring. In my opinion it is legit the worst and most boring passtime and can definitely be considered a huge waste of time.

tldr; music is for chicken huggers

Other urls found in this thread:

greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/why_we_love_music
youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to hug a chicken.
They're so cool.

kys

Thank you for convincing me that music is not lame with your sophisticated response to my question Mr chicken hugger.

you're welcome.

Why does anyone do anything?

But music isn't even interesting.

Fuck this
Sage

Different people find different things interesting.

For example, some people find it interesting to post weak bait on anonymous image boards.

Listen to this, then call us chicken huggers

>announcing you're saging
someone didn't read the rules

why people do thing
why do thing it not beneficial
it no interest
why do thing

I honestly don't know what people find so interesting about listening to music, I have tried quite a few times to get into it in the past but every time I stopped very soon after because it was boring.

oh no the rules are broken
how will we live?
how can we go on?

lmao there has been at least 4 shitposts made on Sup Forums today

>only medium you can consume while doing other things
>waste of time

Good job you got me good, I thought you were seriously trying to recommend something good so i tried it and it is just some guy talking with a lame voice over a beat, gg you got me.

dude what are you doing wasting yr time here, you should be doing important things like playing video games and gathering up the 10 blue orbs so you can craft them into the key to advance on to the next crafting cycle.

This isn't really a shitpost though, I honestly do not understand why people like music so much. The main reason I am asking is because I am tired of being confused whenever I tell someone "oh I don't listen to music" they just look at me like I am crazy.

Read

I don't agree with asserting op is into anything in particular, but the fact they're here asking about it (if not trolling) suggests they're bored in general, not just with music

I haven't said this in particular was a shitpost, there's one up now. There's no problem if you don't enjoy music as the much as the others do.

Either you just haven't discovered the music that makes you click yet, or you're just autistic.

they mentioned they hear music while playing video games, seemed fair to assume they play video games. but yeah, there's been studies done that show 5% of people just feel nothing with regards to music, it's probably just that.

greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/why_we_love_music

there you go op
now fuck off

I just don't get why not liking to listen to music alone gets the same kind of looks that obese people and murderers get.

this. op clearly lacks the ability to appreciate art. maybe try taking some drugs, op?

I agree, but not fully. Music is very boring by itself, which is why I play it in the background while I do other things

>and can definitely be considered a huge waste of time.
What do you live for if not to be happy? Music makes me and most people on this board happy, which is a good use of time imo.

>implying you can't smell perfume while doing other shit

I appreciate art a lot, I just can not see music as being a form of art because its sounds. As for trying drugs I have tried a lot and when I am with friends and on drugs they usually put on music and I just feel like I would rather be doing something else while high.

browsing Sup Forums is perfect, because other than the kpop general threads if you don't look at them this place is a bit of a ghost town at european hours

because music is a medium of expression and your inability to understand that expression on any level at all makes you seem void of emotion?

>I just can not see music as being a form of art because its sounds.
Having just sounds as a medium is way more artsy than something concrete like visuals. By its very nature music is abstract art.
>I appreciate art a lot
No, you don't if you can't even grasp fucking music.

I can understand the expression and when I do hear music I often feel emotions run through me from it but I just always get bored and would rather do something else. The thing is I do not hate music, I do not mind listening to it if someone puts it on or if it comes on automatically while I am doing something but I just can not be bothered to put it on because I like it a little better when there is no music playing compared to when there is music playing.

Because it illicits a sense of euphoria in people who have an appreciation for it. The repetitive patterns cause a positive response in the brain for some reason.

I notice I generally perform better at tasks if I am listening to music as it helps my ADHD because of the dopamine release.

>rather do something else.
you keep saying that
do what? are you adhd?

what kind of music did you try listening to? i understand if all you've been exposed to is radio crap

I am not adhd, I have no mental or physical problems at all and I have never needed any type of medication. When I say "something else" it can be anything from reading a book to going for a walk to hanging out with friends.

Over the years I have listened to many types of music because of my friends. I definitely did not just flip on the radio then decide I hate music right after that. When I say "many types of music" I am sure that unless you list something really obscure I will have tried listening to it at least once.

I'm not sure how you want us to fix this for you. You don't enjoy music because of your palate. Maybe that'll change over time or you'll hear something someday and find it really compelling but there isn't some trick we can tell you that'll make you enjoy music.

My main question is why do people look at me so strangely when I would prefer there to be no music on than for there to be music on. I really did not expect so many people to reply.

try listening to this. put on some headphones, close your eyes and just absorb it. forget all social context. let your mind go wherever it wants to go as long as it's not focusing too hard on something else. if you don't feel any sort of emotional response, then idk what to tell you.
youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU

Most people on Sup Forums enjoy music a lot. For a lot of us, it's our main pastime.
You'd probably get a similar reaction if you went on Sup Forums and told them you don't understand why people find movies enjoyable.

>because music is a medium of expression and your inability to understand that expression on any level at all makes you seem void of emotion?

because you're a freak op. music is deeply rooted in our culture.

I already said I have no problem feeling the emotional response from music, I just get bored of listening to music fast. This song took me less than 2 minutes before I was wondering why it was repeating the same keys over and over.

Of course it is your main passtime, if it was not I would not have come here to ask lol

Welp, that is why you're getting a reaction. You told a bunch of people who are passionate about something that it is boring. What did you expect?

>I don't agree with OP so it must be b8

garbage fucking thread

I expected them to be able to answer my question better than others would be able to.

A CIVILIZED CONVERSATION?!
tough luck, pal.

Do you not feel like it has been answered? How would you explain to somebody who has no libedo why you like masturbating?

I have never expected a civilised conversation after posting on Sup Forums

i can answer your question op.
you don't like music because you're a fucking jackass.

kys.

you received pretty good arguments ITT and you just keep repeating the same shit over and over again
>lul it's boring i'd rather do something else
what sort of response were you expecting? we can't just magically make you enjoy music

>I have no problem feeling the emotional response from music
well that's what most people like about it. beautiful music elicits beautiful emotions, the same way that watching a beautiful sunset does. most people like listening because humans have an inherent desire to appreciate beauty. it sounds like you just don't have the attention span for it if you got bored two minutes into moonlight sonata. (especially because that piece is far from repetitive)

other people really like to dance and so they like music with steady, driving beats that are fun to move to.
other people are knowledgeable in music theory and so they enjoy listening to music from a critical perspective, and dissecting everything that's going on in the music.

some people like it for any combination of these reasons, or any other reasons which i've failed to mention, but those seem to be the main three

I am not really asking why people like it but rather why people are so astonished when they find out that I do not really like it.

That's because you listen to boring music retard
Music is the highest and freest form of art.

Honestly OP, it's totally fine if you're not interested in music; that's your bag. Just maybe don't announce it in public so bluntly if you don't want to get weird looks.

Oh, well that wasn't your question posed in the op.
For the answer to your new question see

>I turned on the radio once and I didn't like it, all music sucks lol

I do not announce it publicly. Think about it, how often do you get asked about what kind of music you like? You probably have no problem answering. As for me when people ask me I just say I do not listen to music alone and thats when people look at me funny.

>doesnt read thread
>says dumb shit

You're probably one of those extremely boring STEM students who don't actually do anything or care about anything
People like you are pathetic

I am in Mathematics however I do a lot of things outside of work and studies. I love to do things outdoors like hiking and camping and fishing with friends.

Why would you ask me to see a post that was posted by an imbecile who did not read the thread?

Typical
Mathematics is a great field, too bad it's filled with cookie-cutter uncreative pocket protector types
>I love to do things outdoors like hiking and camping and fishing with friends.
Woooow that's sooo coool

Lots of people find STEM fields interesting in the same way people find art interesting. Why do you think educational youtube channels have the sort of following they do?

Fuck man, I've never thought about it that way. So I've wasted fucking years of my life listening to things alone before I go to sleep when I could have just not done that? Fucking hell, I feel like an idiot now.

Fuck music, seriously, it just wastes your time

I am not like that though, as I previously said I do appreciate art.

His response was valid though. You get weird looks because it's ubiquitous and not having even a passing interest in music is unusual.

not biting, bite me OP

Sorry but most STEM students are kids who don't really find that shit all that interesting and are the most passionless, boring reddit types who seemingly can't produce original thoughts
Not all
But, nowadays, most

user that chicken hug warmed my heart, can I keep this gif?

jesus, that image is awful...

>and your inability to understand that expression on any level

He obviously did not read the thread by posting this so why should I trust the things he came to from his false understandings?

okay, let's reverse this situation. we'll pretend to be retards that can't comprehend art, and you explain to us why you enjoy art.

It's all yours my friend!

>implying that these dubbs won't get checked

>not knowing the man, the legend, the only, Cal Chuchesta

Well you don't like it so why would we suggest anything? Like I don't post in /po/ cause I think origami is stupid, you talk about wasting time but what are you doing with yours?

I would tell them that it is visually appealing and can be appreciated in a short amount of time. What I would not do is tell him this if he asked why people think he is strange for not liking art.

Well why don't you assess what he said for yourself then? Do you think music is a big part of most cultures? Do you find that most people you meet enjoy music?

This raises the most interesting question of all:

>Is smelling perfuming considered consuming media?

op i answered your question herethe fact that you ignored it makes me think that you really are just baiting

Well, I don't know what to say, man. Like I said, it really doesn't matter and I don't think we're going to be able to "convince" you, but this is what I think we'd need. Something that has:

>very little repetition
>obscure
>probably not overtly noisy/avant-garde
>would appeal to someone who enjoys reading, going on walks, hiking, camping, fishing, math, etcetera
>most of all, it would be best if it had an element beyond the music itself to make it interesting (relatable and/or philsophical lyrics, tie to history, esoteric location or origin, interesting story behind it...something like that)

Anyone got any ideas? What kind of art do you like OP? Do you like poetry? And what do you mainly read?

I do not think music is stupid, I was just drinking my coffee and eating lunch and I thought "hmm why do people think its weird that I do not like music" so I came here to ask.

wtf i hate music now

Music is sonically appealing and can be appreciated in a short amount of time

yeah, but i don't get it, it's just stupid pictures. they don't make me think or anything.
why does it make people think?

I'm STEM and I don't think I've met many of these zombies you're talking about. Most people on my course are big into stuff like vidya, table top games, comics, etc.

I wasn't asking why people like music so I decided your post was just trolling, that is why I never replied to it.

>Most people on my course are big into stuff like vidya, table top games, comics, etc.
And this is exactly what I'm talking about

>implying i care what you think about music

You obviously did not read my post if you are responding like this, your original question was far different from what my main question is.

Are they not valid interests?

The guy just hates nerds in general.

now you know how we feel, op.