ITT We Reconstruct Smile

Here we'll post our best renditions of "Smile". Whether it's what you believe the original release would have been like or just the best composition you think you can come up with.

>inb4 someone says there will never be an accurate reconstruction of smile

Here's mine:

SIDE A:
(Our Prayer)
Heroes and Villains
Vege-Tables
Do You like Worms?
Child is Father of the Man
The Old Master Painter
Cabin Essence

SIDE B:
Good Vibrations
Wonderful
I’m In Great Shape
Wind Chimes
The Elements
Surf’s Up

Other urls found in this thread:

smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24151.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reminder that 5 minute Heroes and Villains is superior

Also, if you have your tracklist set in suites, fucking kill yourself

you mean 6 minute heroes and villains

You stole that from the Albums That Never Were blog

>implying the suite form isnt superior

1: Our Prayer/Gee

2: Heroes And Villains

3: Roll Plymouth Rock

4: Barnyard

5: Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine

6: Cabin Essence

7: Wonderful

8: Song For Children

9: Child Is Father Of The Man

10: Surf's Up

11: I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop

12: Vega-Tables

13: On A Holiday

14: Wind Chimes

15: Mrs. O'Leary's Cow

16: In Blue Hawaii

17: Good Vibrations

It's for fucking dumbasses!

I think the Cantina version has a great groove and I wouldn't wanna mess with that, but the longer 4 minute Good Vibrations is objectively superior

I don't like the Father Of The Man/Surf's Up suite because I think it makes more sense and makes the album more cohesive if the sections are farther apart in the album, more of a proper leitmotif instead of just repeating a part from only 3 minutes ago

>not ending the tracklisting with surf's up

>Not ending it with You're Welcome as a tag

Anyone listen to Mok's mix?

Regardless of the innards Heroes-Cabin Essense and Good Vib-Surfs Up are the only ways to close Sides A and B

anyone have that pasta of that guy who spend months figuring out the correct assembly for Heroes and Villians?

YW is a shitty ending, inb4 muh lo-fi echo saturated vocals

>placing Do You Like Worms? after Our Prayer

Ive heard sln's stereo/mono, MOK's, The 3671 edit, and MQR's. There;s so many versions floating around out there since Sessions came out

whats ur favorite user

smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24151.0.html

Anyone know what these old fucks are doing wrong?

not sure yet. I really like sln's except he made few odd changes like removing bits of Wind Chimes, and using the wrong version of Elements: Fire (without the woo ooh oohs). its almost a dealbreaker for me.

MQR is cool but drags on way too long by including nearly EVERYTHING that was recording. Interesting document but not great for listening.

I've only heard MOK and 3971 edit a few times because I had to rip it as a 40min file so it's less digestible

Ever listen to the Scott G version?

So I got my masters at UCLA and I did one of my theses on Pop music. A team was able to go into some of our archives and find smile tapes, notes and letters.

From what I can piece together, this was to be the original tracklist, but with many skits and musical snippets linking everything together. Its surprising how unfinished the project actually is

Heroes and Villains
Vega-Tables
Do You Like Worms?
Wonderful
Old Master Painter
Cabin Essence

Good VIbrations
Im in great shape
Wind Chimes(with an outro that is similar to the outro of what is now called Holiday)
The Elements
Child Is Father Of The Man
Surf's Up
again, a lot of missing or simply never recorded material betwee these tracks, but this is it

Good Vibrations is a better closer than Surf's Up.

Prove it

One of the issues that bug me is the (possible) mislabeling of the snippets. There's so much content thats prefixed with H&V: that ended up getting used elsewhere. If it WAS mislabed/temp labeled I'd rather go into it with no labels at all, and pick what I think would work. For example, what became the intro to Elements (circus cue) was originally labeled as H&V: Organ Intro. Unless I'm misunderstanding the labeling system

garbage opinion

Prove it

You literally cannot listen to music after Good Vibrations. Everything else pales in comparison and just sours.

Prove it

>he thinks Sloop John B should have closed Pet sounds

I sorta agree, it feels separate from the album in way, unlike Surf's Up, it almost works as a calm after the storm and offers a little resolution
But in reality it probably would have opened side two just like it did on Smiley Smile

You're not, Brian had so many different parts of Heroes and Villains that entire songs were made out of spare sections

Do you have a paper I could read?

poor brian

this because Brian decided it

bump

Upload the thesis.

Our Prayer
Gee
Heroes and Villains pt. 1 (2:12)
Look (Song for Children)
Child is the Father of the Man
Surfs Up
Heroes and Villains pt. 2 (2:40)