Entire album's flow ruined by Yum Yab Killers shitty live recording and Hypogirl

>Entire album's flow ruined by Yum Yab Killers shitty live recording and Hypogirl

Why is this allowed?

That whole album has a flow problem. That tends to happen when an album gets bloated to nearly 2 1/2 hours.

What fucking flow its 2 discs made up of snippets stretching from there early days to 96, variety is its charm

Just rearrange the tracks as you see fit, I get a lot of flak for this on my last.fm profile but fuck the haters

Gira made a mistake including those, yeah. Volcano as well.

You could cut like 5-6 songs off this album and it would only serve to improve it.

yikes this thread is embarrassing

You can tell when people have bad taste by them not liking yyk and volcano

Volcano is amazing

Good posts

I don't dislike Volcano but yeah maybe.
Whole album would be better without Jarboe. But i like the spoken word and ambient tracks on the album like the beautiful days, minus something and i was a prisoner in your skull

What does it matter? Swans are fucking shit either way.

>Shitty quality live version in the middle of an album

Fuck off, if that didn't ruin your immersion you must be ltierally retarded.

I enjoy the musical aspects of music not the idea of what it is

stupid rockists
muh flow

Volcano is a pretty interesting piece, YYK on the other hand is hot garbage.

you probably also enjoy dick

T H I S
H
I
S
Sorry about your taste
haha

I will never for the life of me inserts ad this opinion, I can't tell if it's shitty forced b8 or people's legitimate sincere onion but either way it's completely idiotic.

SFTB is a dark diverse album, that is constantly changing the style and seeking to disturb you, Yum-Yab Killers does both of these things perfectly.

*understand

No need, it's fine the way it is.

The only thing that's disturbing about YYK is its lack of quality.

yum yab killers is pretty bad but all other songs are great. Not like it matters to much in a 2 and a half hour album.

>change recording quality to fucking phone tier from the back row of the crowd

OMG SUCH DIVERSITY

All of those are fucking amazing, especially The Beautiful Days, it is one of the best tracks on the album. I was talking more about

>Yum Yab
>Volcano
>Blood Section
>Hypogirl
>Fan's Lament
>YRP 2
>Surrogate Drone (or at least move it somewhere else)

Cutting these in my opinion wouldn't do any harm. I really don't think I have bad taste for thinking this, I don't think they bring anything to the album whatsoever and with them gone you'd have a much more consistent album.

volcano should stay but the rest i agree with

What's wrong with Lo-fi recording? It's unexpected, creates contrast, not to mention gives the track a really dark grittier feel and a strange sense of realism.

Like to you people just hate lo-fi stuff? I'd hate to imagine what you'd people do if you'd ever listen to WH/WL teen suicide or Deathconciousness.

fuck off.

the live version conveys an unique feeling, that lasts through out the album.

also the little field recording snippets are serving this purpose.

10/10 Album for my case

Volcano is godlike and I like Surrogate Drone closing the album, but the rest are the exact tracks I'd choose to remove.

>What's wrong with Lo-fi recording? It's unexpected
Nothing, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the album when none of the other tracks sound nearly as bad. (Final Sacrifice worked well as live track, Yum-Yab does not)

>not to mention gives the track a really dark grittier feel and a strange sense of realism.
The album already does that.

>Like to you people just hate lo-fi stuff?
No.

>ever listen to WH/WL teen suicide or Deathconciousness.
WLWH and Deathcon are both great albums.

I have no issue with lo-fi recording or any of that, it's that song in particular.

yum yab killers is literally the best song on the entire album

volcano, meanwhile, fucking sucks. why do people defend it? it's literally just a shitty attempt at EDM that has a vague conceptual and lyrical appeal. worst piece of the album IMO.

nice contrarianism bro.

Leave SFTB alone!

It´s perfect the way it is!

>Whole album would be better without Jarboe
lad, Swans is never better without Jargoddess

i'm not even attempting to be a contrarian, though. I mean sure, Yum Yab Killers isn't the best song on the album, but it actually fucking rules. I listen to it all the time, and the version that Jarboe recorded on one of her solo records. her voice is perfect on it, so raw, chilling and insane. but what's the appeal of Volcano?

STFB is about diving deep into you're repressed fears and desires, and facing true madness and evil. And YYK fits perfectly in with this, it makes the album feel like complete madness. I honestly don't know how someone can like SFTB and not like YYK, especially if they say "it interrupts the flow." Just what a dumb statement.

Also look at this fucking captcha

Except on like, all 3 of their latest albums

BECAUSE IT'S A FUCKING LIVE RECORDING WITH SHIT QUALITY WHERE YOU CAN LITERALLY HEAR THE FUCKING CROWD

I WOULDN'T MIND THE FUCKING SONG IF IT WAS AN ACTUAL STUDIO RECORDING BUT IT'S DISRUPTIVE AND SOUNDS LIKE GARBAGE

>removing tracks for muh album flow
Rockists are the cancer killing Sup Forums

Do you not get how that adds to the album? Like how it makes it grittier darker and uglier? What is wrong with you? Do you not get how recording quality effects tone?

i think of all of the songs on the album, the only ones that should be flat out removed are Yum-Yab (or at least have it been a studio recording), Blood Section, Fan's Lament, and YRP 2. I personally am ok with Volcano, and whether or not it's a good song, Hypogirl fits really well with the general sound of the album (and plus i like it)

I once got this captcha and the whole thing was just a stoplight

>Just what a dumb statement.
It isn't though. It may attempt to achieve a similar aesthetic through a different lens as the songs surrounding it, but it falls flat on its face unlike them and a part of that is due to the fact that it's a bad live recording (complete with audience noise) of an already bad song.

>hearing the environment of an open air live stage with people talking and laughing makes it sound grittier

???

Was that supposed to be a rebuttal? Are you telling me YYK doesn't sound gritty, ugly or dark? And are you telling me that it wasn't because of the recording style?

>bad live recording

It's not like they fucked up the recording, they purposely went for something that was ugly and almost schizophrenic in order to complement the songs themes and its placement in the album.

You "interrupting muh flow" people are the worst.

The fact that Yum Yab it is jarring and knocks you out the musical trance is kind of the point. Tho after a while you can just remove it (no one will notice)

>Entire album's flow ruined by Yum Yab Killers shitty live recording and Hypogirl
not true, by the way

no it sounds ridiculously bad, that's all what it sounds like

It's not that it's "ugly" or "schizophrenic" it's that it's just a lousy irritating song. Much of the rest of the album manages to be compelling in its ugliness. YYK does not.

I know, those people with reasonable criticisms, what's the deal with them anyway?

>this song is bad
>no it isn't, it uses an experimental and unconventional style of recording to help magnify the songs themes and help develop and increase the tone of the album, and the album that is experimental and unconventional nonetheless.
>no it's bad

I mean my arguments aren't great, but you could at least try, instead of just saying things.

Someone could just as easily say the same thing about the rest of SFTB.

wow now you're just baiting

>shit I have nothing left to say
>I know! I'll say he's baiting, even though a he's been engaging in reasonable discussion for like half an hour. Ha! That shows him!

This is pathetic.

>Someone could just as easily say the same thing about the rest of SFTB.
And? I wouldn't agree at all but like it or not that would still be valid as per the listener's interpretation.

yyk, hypogirl and volcano are pleb filters

if you don't like them then you should just find something else to do because music isn't for you

Volcano is fucking wild and if you don't like that track you are in fact a pleb.

>muh flow

Volcano is the gayest song I've heard in my life. It's great for masturbating. One of the best from the album.

YYK is shit though, but you get used to it. Literally the only track that prevents this record from being a perfect 10.

>inb4 muh flow

Nothing to do with that. The people cheering and clapping are immensely distracting, and it takes away a lot of the great, tense atmosphere the previous songs build up with such expertise, and will rebuild again as soon as YYK ends. Clapping, screaming, people having a noticeably good time.

How can anyone not see how this breaks the concept of the album in exchange for some one-dimensional, 3 chord track with a bad lo-fi effect? () (You)

dude who cares the albums got a few bangers and that's all that matters, i'm not gonna sit through three hours of music.

>this post

If Jarboe were on these records it would be even better desu. Imagine that fucking shit? Jarboe screaming and wailing in the background like Gira goes "LUNACY LUNACY LUNACY" would be dope as hell.

maybe even hella fuckin epic

oh shut the fuck up

Yum Yab is my favourite song on the album :(

Mad as fuck

YYK is a 10/10 track.

trips confirm

jarboe hating plebs btfo

>Entire album's flow

why are they shit though? as far as post rock, drone, experimental, post punk goes they're the best band to do it, especially without sounding derivative or bland. i mean i don't think anyone can make any argument otherwise

YYK is a great song and it fits the album perfectly, especially since it's a bad quality live recording

Holy shit OP. If you don't like the jarboe tracks you have pleb taste. They are so jarring and provide a perfect constrast to Gira's pieces. They are so unsettling, they fit in perfectly, the way Gira transitions in and out of them is also beautiful.

>How can anyone not see how this breaks the concept of the album in exchange for some one-dimensional, 3 chord track with a bad lo-fi effect?
>breaks the concept of the album
The song is mocking the audience and telling them to kill themselves, to which they reply with applause and enjoyment. It supports one of the overarching themes of self-hatred

hella an argument memer!

Daily reminder that if you don't like the Jarboe tracks you are a pleb and music isn't for you, stick to listening to top40 music and rolling stone tier rock albums

Daily reminder that if you think the Jarboe tracks interrupt "the flow" you are a pleb who doesn't understand art

Fuck this thread is disappointing. I can't believe I share a board with people who think it's acceptable to cut songs from this album without losing anything.

by that logic the best album an artist could make would have every song he could think of as long as his career exists