Mfw I actually really, really like this album, and look to it for inspiration

>mfw I actually really, really like this album, and look to it for inspiration.

What do you think, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

musicradar.com/news/guitars/deafheavens-kerry-mccoy-on-black-metal-johnny-marr-and-armchair-critics-635080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm glad you like it, but there is far better black metal out there

niggers

Vertigo is still one of my favorite Black Metal songs out there

I've listened to an Autumn for Crippled Children, Botanist, and some other fucking "blackgaze" band, and they still didn't hit as hard as this album did for me. I may be a basic-fag, but I think this is the best black metal/shoegaze hybrid album I've heard. And yes, I like it better than New Bermuda, and Roads to Judah.

This album is the shit. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Overall, it's been extremely well-received by the public and music critics. The only reason it has a "bad name" is because of black metal elitist faggot niggers.

this album >>>>> everything that deafheaven has ever done

Beautiful, actually. A worthy contender. I think what I like about this, and DeafHeaven, is there ability to sound so larger-than-life. I feel like few blackgaze bands have that as well as DeafHeaven, but these guys definitely have it to.

Superior in every way.

Nope.

Death Grips fan detected

The generic post rock tier filler songs ruin it

Dream House and Vertigo tear me into pieces every time I listen to them.

I kinda wish there was an instrumental version. I love the melodys through the album

Why is it NOT blackmetal?

It has
>blast beats
>shrieked vocal
>heavily distortedguitars
>tremolo picking
Just not as edgy as the rest of the BM albums.

"Brought To The Water", "Luna", and the first half of "Baby Blue" are perfection. It goes downhill from there though.

Sunbather as a whole is at least consistently great.

It's consistently bad though.

It sounds way too much like screamo to be unambiguously black metal.

still the best blackgaze album. prove me wrong nigs

It's in my Top 10 of all time
I get this a lot too and I'm just not seeing it. If there's something better out there in black metal, I can't wait to stumble across it.
All 7/10s
People who let genre wars get in the way of what they actually think about the music are fucking stupid
>It's "atmospheric black metal"? Cool! I'm allowed to like it.
>It's "blackgaze"/"screamo'? What garbage!
Stop being so fucking contrived

one of the worst albums of all time

>It's "atmospheric black metal"? Cool! I'm allowed to like it.
>It's "blackgaze"/"screamo'? What garbage!
He never fucking said that

>blackgaze
Embarrassing.

You're an amoeba. Never try to discuss music again.

>what is paraphrasing

>What do you think, Sup Forums?
i think you should listen to Envy instead

No you just completely missed the point.

>musicradar.com/news/guitars/deafheavens-kerry-mccoy-on-black-metal-johnny-marr-and-armchair-critics-635080

>“It’s the reason we don’t call ourselves a black metal band, because we’re not. We’re influenced by it, but we don’t have the ethos, the aesthetic or really the sound of one at this point, because there are way too many other influences in our sound. And that’s not just from the post-rock thing either, we have influences from alternative rock, Slayer and early Metallica."

yes
I think that sunbather is a lot more straight up and immediately rewarding, but on repeat listens New Bermuda far exceeded it

Ideology is the most important part of black metal. That is what makes it different. You can't pull the stylstic elements from a genre and say you belong to the genre. You have to engage in the syntax of that genre's relationship with the world. The emotion that Deafheaven projects with it's music isn't black metal. This is why Deafheaven isn't black metal.

Who cares if it isn't black metal? It's still good. I don't believe the band members ever came out and claimed to part of the black metal scene anyway - in fact, I'm pretty sure they've said the opposite.

i've never listened to anything that would be considered straight up black metal, maybe some crust with bm influence, so i cant say anything about that. but as an avid screamo listener, i can certainly say sunbather doesnt sound like a screamo album at all.

Black metal = master race
No matter the subgenre

This

At least they have enough self-awareness to realize the ethos isn't there and that's frankly a large factor in what makes a band 'feel' black metal (one that's threads 1st wave stuff in the 80's to contemporary stuff). Musically, the aesthetic is there but it's not driven by that aforementioned ethos which is the exact point of divergence they make from traditional black metal despite sounding like it (to people that don't want to think about this for better or worse).
think more.

It's undoubtedly a beautiful record. One of my favorites.

>i get this alot too, and im just not seeing it.

Then look for it retard.

It's alright. Didn't get much of a black metal vibe off it felt more like a screamo band with harmonic minors trying to sound like black metal. The thing i hated most were those mellow passages with the soft guitar playing and that piano bullshit, something i dont wanna hear when i listen to metal. I guess it boils down to where your taste in music came from first.. Objectively isn't bad, but i'd never listen to it again.

I love lantlos, but it's moments are a little more few and far between. Still an 8/10 album.

>its good but its not the best so lol

I understand this reaction, because of the whole "IDS DA BES THIN EVAR!!!1!!1" attitudes about whatever new thing springs up, but the attitude of "If it isn't the best it's garbage" is just as fucking stupid.

It's literally a worthless statement to make unless someone asks "How does [THING] stack up to other's in its genre?"

I think it's a great album, but all you're going to get around here is pseudo-intellectual dick-waving and posturing. Don't ask Sup Forums for it's opinion on literally anything. Use it as a means to discover new music and then forget about it.

I'm sorry but Fantano was right completely about this album. The black metal sections of this album exceed Sunbathers in their power and emotional impact, the post rock sections just fucking suck. Brought to the Water tried so hard to be Dream House 2.0 and I don't know wtf they were thinking on the last track.
Sunbather is far superior.

I prefer Roads to Judah desu

IT is ok album, but is not black metal

girls in merzbow shirts is the most disgustingly kitsch tongue in cheek title i've seen since waiting for black metal records to come in the mail

Yeah, it borrows those elements, but the armonic progression and type of tonality is different and makes it sound completely different. Black metal has the minors and diminished and altered scales (with some wierd dissonant sudden changes of non related keys). Those guys are pretty much major and minor scales, always on a major/minor related key, with some occasional diminished run for tension amd then resolutiom. Sounds always really harmonic while in black metal the tension dissonant state is always on and part of it. You could stripe down all those style based elements you mention and just play the music on a piano and it will be radically different.