Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pFF-VoZJ4h4
youtube.com/watch?v=xI9nq4wTzE0
youtube.com/watch?v=7Iti0kiJyDI
youtube.com/watch?v=MldC8Unuf4w
youtube.com/watch?v=rafY_lAqqfw
youtube.com/watch?v=msghJpDlwHU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Avey got divorced, they became very conscious of their newfound popularity, and the hype bubble burst with CHz.

ODDSAC came out in 2010

comparing them to their pre 2009 work is what went wrong

I mean compared to their early stuff, everything after in this decade is kind of lackluster, but it's not that bad.

I feel like their nearing the end of their pop streak anyways

They really should just release an ep thats super bare bones acoustics and shouting, then progress from there with a new album

>What went wrong post Sung Tongs
Fixed that for you.

They should have broken up after Feels

I agree, but SJ and ODDSAC are diamonds in the rough

>feels
>prospect hummer
>people
>sj
>water curses
>animal crack box
>fbk
>mpp

Actually, I forgot about SJ, it's nice but not as good as their original stuff.
Never watched ODDSAC.

They started making good music

they've already peaked, the whole of their creativity culminated with two or three perfect albums, and now they don't know where to go because they already accomplished all of their long-term artistic goals and are now wandering aimlessly

I still need to listen to ODDSAC in full

probably this.

hopefully pw marks the end of their pop period.

Elder Shit taste

2005-2009 > 2000-2004 > 2010-present

After three albums that broke through to the mainstream indie scene, plus a surprise hit solo effort, Merriweather Post Pavilion consolidated that they were an actually popular band.

Now, none of the guys in AC really care about popularity, but it did emphasize to Avey that he had an audience of people who expect things from him, which as the primary songwriter put pressure on him. This is a guy who is used to people not getting him screaming over weird noises, suddenly with thousands of people who give a shit about his emotions.

This, along with Deakin's departure to Africa following the death of his father, Panda more or less relocating to Portugal, and his divorce with Kria Brekkan, put Avey in a very difficult emotional situation. His depression and isolation produced Down There, while his anxiety and uncertainty produced Centipede Hz. As Panda had been distant, working with Sonic Boom on Tomboy in Portugal, and Deakin had only recently returned, Geologist was his primary fellow composer.

This is what is responsible for Centipede Hz. Avey was the songwriter for all but three of the tracks. Deakin came back to reintroduce the element of guitar, but Avey and Geo dominated the soundscape and creative direction. Panda came back as he always did, but this time recording proved to strain his family life, having to move in with his mother temporarily with his wife and children.

This is why Centipede Hz is so abrasive, anxious, seemingly all over the place. The bulk is the product of Avey's uncertain and emotionally exhausted headspace. The remaining tracks reflect Deakin's own uncertainty following his father's death and his reflections in Africa, and Panda's songs express the strain (even Rosie Oh) of the recording.

This product was not as warmly welcomed as the melancholy-but-optimistic sound of Merriweather Post Pavilion. Centipede Hz is the sound of a struggle, of racing thoughts and pacing back and forth in a recently much emptier New York apartment.

They should've never let anco become anything more than HCTI. They should've let their pop stuff come under a different name.
>any of those being better than STGSTV and campfire songs
2/10 taste

Good post. Knowing Avey's life at the time really gives insight to CHz

You've just made me appreciate CHz more user.
If this is OC, props to you.

Only really great thing there is Prospect Hummer imo

you can't say that for sure. It may seem that way now, but if they move into territories other than pop, who knows what they'll do

damn. quality post.

explain Painting With mr. smart guy

Not the same guy but it's probably them recovering from the drop in critical acclaim by making something fun/safe/easy

Did not mean post Sung Tongs is better. Sung Tongs and pre is obviously better, but they still have some great releases after 2004

Sure.

Following CHz is a breath of air, relief. Avey's personal life improved with his relationship with Angel Deradoorian, and its very clear when comparing CHz to Slasher Flicks that the latter is a much happier and more importantly more comfortable and concise examination of the sonic aspects of the former.

It's also very likely his cohorts felt the same degree of relief. Geologist broke his insular shtick and worked on New Psycho Actives with Avey, a project that was clearly for-fun and turned out great. Panda was able to get into a better headspace once back in Portugal with his family and turned out PBVSGR, which is one of his most playful releases in spite of some of its themes. And Deakin actually got his shit together and turned out the album he promised years ago.

So you have three men who've resolved a couple years of storm and stress, and are rejuvenated and ready to tackle new things. Painting With is explicitly a sort of experiment for them, an attempt to do without some of their old tricks and try a sort of no-bullshit approach to pop, but still in their own way. And, again, when comparing it to CHz, its a completely different mood - the energy isn't born out of desperation, its much more clear about the sonic concepts, and perhaps most importantly, its far more equal with Avey, Geo, and Panda all contributing (in stark contrast to Avey and Geo dominating the themes and sounds of CHz).

Like Centipede Hz, it stands out compared to all of their other work, due to a unique set and setting for the band. Sort of like what
it's something more fun, and perhaps from a certain point of view easier or safer. It is, in their words, their "punk" record, not in terms of themes or mentality but from a basic songwriting perspective - pare down everything we normally do to its minimum, almost boil them down to abstractions.

I like you
We need more anons like you
Don't stop posting

Interesting. Where do you think anco will go from here? Based on what you've said, I don't think they'll continue in the direction of PW - maybe they'll go back to basics, make something like Campfire Songs or HCTI? Or something else entirely

Panda Bear should have released MPP under his own name

Panda got lazy

Well, a great deal of these analyses incorporate their personal lives as they relate to the music, while inversely it is a lot easier to go back and analyze their personal lives through what they express through the music.

I personally don't think they'll stick with PW direction, as their career largely supports the idea that they continually pursue new directions for music - while Feels is in a large part informed by the areas they covered on Sung Tongs, its distinct; the same goes for Strawberry Jam, which is a distinct departure from Feels but still incorporates much of the musical direction Panda was pursuing with Person Pitch (Derek in particular is clearly a song that at the very least got its start during PP and reconfigured in a group setting).

As for a back-to-basics approach, I don't think they typically view their music with that strategy. None of their recent (as in, Sung Tongs to the present) really hearken back directly to the sonic concepts they approached in their past, at most only to the music they produced shortly before working cohesively on new material (Young Prayer and ST into Feels, PP into SJ, Slasher Flicks and PBVSGR into PW).

However, in a broader sense, I think it's not unlikely they could return to a more acoustic sound a la Campfire Songs simply due to Deakin's recent activity. If Deakin returns for the next album and plays a significant role, given his previous contributions to the band he will at the very least once again pull them back to a more guitar oriented sound, and given Sleep Cycles endeavors into folk could reintroduce a more acoustic, spaced out sound. But, the idea they'd completely abandon the synth-based sound they've established since SJ and made concrete with MPP is fairly unlikely; even Sleep Cycles incorporates much of the band's archtypical integration of acoustic and electronic perspectives.

You mean as an EP of five songs, missing the bulk of the unique production Geologist was responsible for, and for the most part lacking the themes that Avey defined for the album?

Yeah, that would have been a great idea.

Avey still has more songs on MPP than Panda
and his songs are often better

Nothing. They peaked at CHZ and released another 9/10 to follow up (PW).

everything before sung tongs except for stgstv and hcti - 3/10
sung tongs - 7/10
feels - 8/10
strawberry jam - 9/10
merriweather post pavilion 8.5/10
centipede hz - 10/10
painting with - 1/10

objective fact btw

I like both of those records, but they aren't that good

I love you

>danse and campfire songs a 3/10
yikes

stgstv 10
danse 7
hollin 4
cs 7
hcti 9
sung tongs 9.5
feels 9
sj 8
mpp 9.5
chz 7.5
pw 5.5

interesting. I kinda hoped painting with sounded more like that 23 minute jam they put out last year. I just want a new album next year.

Yeah, because you know Avey, Panda, Deak, and Geo personally right? Shut the fuck up. There is absolutely no evidence for them having "lost their creativity". They just don't make wacky freak folk or noise rock anymore and people get butthurt about it.

I am so glad an AnCo fan actually understands what the fuck AnCo does in terms of song writing aside from myself. Tired of all these people saying they want another Feels or Sung Tongs or MPP, like seriously. Shut the fuck up about what you want and take what the band churns out. It's sad people have this idea that Painting With was put out because they were in need of money or because they wanted the "critical acclaim" or because they wanted to try and remain relevant, when in fact, it was released 3 years after Centipede Hz. THREE FUCKING YEARS. That span of time doesn't seem like the doings of a band who wants to immediately churn out something basic just to remain relevant.

Glad someone else understands that Animal Collective has and always will do what pleases them or makes most sense to them. Painting With gets shit on so much for not being "animal collective" enough because it doesn't have all the ambience or drone of their earlier records, but it is still, at its core, very Animal Collective sounding. Someone once asked me if I would like Painting With if it were released by another band. The answer would be yes, but realistically, no one would be able to capture the mood and atmosphere that Painting With does nearly as well as Animal Collective.

As for where Animal Collective will go, I'm not sure, but I think it'd be really cool to see them explore some type of kraut-rock mixed with musique concrete and ambient production. Centipede Hz had this idea somewhat, being a "broadcast to the aliens" or whatever they pegged it as. They incorporated some sound collaging and ambience within these hyper-extra-terrestrial rock songs.

Painting With is pretty damn good though, at least an 8/10 for me.

But Campfire Songs is a 10/10 album user wtf are you on about?

this

pitchfork "culture" in general peaked in 2009, reached both its peak creativity and peak popularity amongst the indie "counter culture" . all after is just rehash/beating a dead horse basically

STGSTV 10
Danse 5
Hollindagain 8
Campire Songs 8
Here Comes the Indian 9
Sung Dongs 8
Feels 5
Strawberry Jam 8
MPP 5
ODDSAC 7
Chz 4
PW 2

Nothing went wrong, people started getting hoity-toity and hating on Animal Collective because they aren't making Feels 2.0 or Here Comes The Indian Again.

They haven't lost their creativity, they aren't trying to maintain relevancy, they aren't "doomed". You just don't like the stuff they've put out recently because it isn't noisey enough, or droney enough. God forbid.

To sit here and pretend ODDSAC or Transverse Temporal Gyrus never came out, or the Keep EP, or to pretend that Centpiede Hz and Painting With are absolutely atrocious albums, is absolutely ridiculous. If you can show me another artist/band who has made something that sounds like Painting With and achieves it as well, I'll back down. And don't you fucking dare post Fanboy and Chumchum.

>Feels 2.0
>not More Feels
>Here Comes The Indian
>not The Indian Comes Again

Fuck, let's create new Animal Collective album titles

this holy fuck
thank you

You have the guys who like MPP.
You have the guys who like Strawberry Jam
You have the pretentious fucks who like STGSTV

and then there's that faggot who reeeeeeally likes feels.

I think every Animal Collective album is great in their own separate ways :^)

you're one of the few actually sane people in here

>Hollinndagainagain
>Centipede kbps

>pretentious fucks

enlightening

The thing that REAAAAALLLY gets me is people who say Deakin's Sleep Cycle is the best thing since MPP, out of anything Animal Collective related.

If you sincerely believe this, you haven't heard enough Animal Collective to have an opinion.

Spirit they're back
Spirit they've appeared

>>Hollinndagainagain
actually kek'd

>Peanut Butter
>Post merrywheter post pavillon
>spirit they've come, spirit they've returned

They will literally exchange their fart-bass from PW for Avey literally farting into a microphone. Geologist will be on burps, Panda will do sneezing and Deakin will do the hemming and hawing.

So in the end you have fart-burp-sneezy-haw-core, an amazingly new innovative genre from the amazingly innovative and renowned Animal Collective. And it will be hailed as one of the greatest albums ever recorded. It will join Pet Sounds in legendary status in terms of studio recording.

Guitar On Fire
Twerk Porpoise

Mung Telodies

Lets post AnCo's best b-sides/unreleased tracks. I'll start.

>Animal Collective VS Kocani Orkestar - Oi Bori Sujie
youtube.com/watch?v=pFF-VoZJ4h4

I don't know what time signature this groove is in but god damn, it's fun. Love the glitchy little synth element in the bridge. Reminiscent of the synth from Monkey Riches.

youtube.com/watch?v=xI9nq4wTzE0
I think this was written for Pullhair Rubeye, and along with 4 other tracks they toured with that album was never used for anything.

I Am Your Eagle Kisser is sooooo good. I really enjoy Avey's split with David Grubbs too, Crumbling Land.

>Avey Tare - Crumbling Land
youtube.com/watch?v=7Iti0kiJyDI

Not unreleased or a b-side but not exactly the most well known release. As for b-sides From a Beach DEFINITELY deserves album time, but I fear it will never see a release...

youtube.com/watch?v=MldC8Unuf4w

Also, fucking CRIMSON. Seriously one of the best songs they've ever written in my opinion. Wish it could have made it on CHz.

youtube.com/watch?v=rafY_lAqqfw

My favorite from that split is probably Abyss Song. So great.
youtube.com/watch?v=msghJpDlwHU

I dunno why From A Beach wasn't put on Fall Be Kind, that would've been great, they could've almost had another full album.

From a Beach, when elaborated upon and polished could be soooooooooo sooo sooo good.

I am really curious to see what they're going to do next man. Glad at least Avey and Panda have said Animal Collective is a life long venture for them, so we have plenty more to look forward to.

wow, a good and thoughtful AnCo thread. I love this.

Too bad it's ded :(