ITT: The bands debut will forever overshadow the rest of their discogs

ITT: The bands debut will forever overshadow the rest of their discogs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You beat me to it, Sad but true

We now have the post punk revival trifecta of albums they will never live up to.

ahh the early 2000's seemed like such a hopeful time for post-punk.

I'm calling it

It was a good run wasn't it

It's like they put everything they had into their debuts and had nothing left afterward, like as if there was a finite amount of creativity in person

only one in this thread that is questionable

helplessness blues just doesn't do it for me like s/t. it's good tho

Their following 3 albums are still really fucking solid though. They just recently started tarnishing their legacy.

Dammit Kele.

Idk, I feel like weekend in the city is still a massive step down as a follow-up. Like, it's far below the expectations that were based on silent alarm. I feel like Kele's attempts at being innovative and genre-bending don't work at all, and the band only worked when it was more centered on indie-rock

>not enjoying the lyrics and feels from A Weekend in the City

You should listen to it again. It's amazing, but not in the same way Silent Alarm was amazing. Just really solid in its own way.

Four was a good album.
Fight me.

Eh, Idk because a decent amount of those groups had at least another albums worth of fantastic songs they've released since. And that makes me think maybe it's a time constraint thing, maybe were rushing art and left with a lesser proudly because of it, especially since the debuts album really is the only album a band gets (usually) with very little pressure on when it needs to be finished. It's finished when the band thinks it is and not when a time constraint requires it to be. But what do you think about that?

The lyrics are good and all, but that's like half of what makes an album for me. The music, like the tone and use of it is pretty unremarkable to me.

this, fucking this
I don't even have any of their other albums, they're all shit aside from this one

I could see that, but you also have situations where they had much more time to make a better album, like there was pretty substantial gap between the strokes third and fourth album, and the result of that extended amount of time was not a better album. I'm not saying all of their material is bad after their first album though, just that it lacks whatever quality it was that made the entire album seem so special and exciting. Like in the case of the strokes, room on fire is a very good album, I love a few of the songs and like the rest, but idk, I think it was just the fact that things like that are impossible to replicate, like the special set of circumstances that great albums come out of.

I could see that, I'm not sure if you are a swans fan, but I think theyre a good example of a band with several debatable "best albums". And I think reason why they have had multiple albums that fans can truly debate as being their best comes down to the fact that all of those albums follow very different explorations into their sound. However in the case of the post punk bands from that resurgence they seemed to instead try and outdo their old sound rather than explore and expand it. You dig?

Thanks largely to these fuckers

Just imagine this is the S/T.

It isn't even that good.

Hallowed Ground is fantastic.

adam_sandler.jpg

Yeah makes sense, I feel like the bands that keep making great albums are the ones who want to do or achieve more than one thing, like they have more than one concept in their heads of what would make a great album.

>Song for Clay
>Hunting for Witches
>Sunday
>I Still Remember
>Waiting for the 7.18
>Uniform

>unremarkable

...Come on son.

My most-listened album of all time. Everything after Antics was so disappointing.

It actually is

I'll admit hunting for witches is pretty great, but the rest don't grab me the same way silent alarm does.

Nah, they're never gonna live down MPP

shit, you're right

A weekend in the city is better
Antics is better
Maladroit is better
Hallowed ground is better
Hubardo is better

>pinkerton
>shit

wew lad

The fucking Green Album was better than Maladroit

>Hubardo is better
I agree with you, but you'd be dumb to say Choirs wasn't way more popular/acclaimed.

white album was better than green

I can see them making two or three more good albums.
tru

It's not their best album, not by a long shot, but they'll never live down it's massive success

Antics is better

Strange Cacti by Angel Olsen

that alum is mediocre to begin with.

How?

White album was actually pretty great

Literally their worst album, but if you mean in terms of popularity I see where you're coming from.

I really didn't care for anything after that. I really enjoyed the blues / slide guitar sound this album featured.

>What is Geogaddi
>What are EPs

>Maladroit is better
no
>Hubardo is better
debatable but I still like Choirs more

do you know what "forever overshadow means"? whether you think it's good or not, pinkerton and blue are often paired as great, one isn't usually placed above the other, or if they are it varies by publication.

Yeah but Anthony Fantano made a video a couple months back about how The Blue Album is better than Pinkerton and now the new Sup Forums meme is that The Blue Album is 10/10 and Pinkerton is objective shit.

Beat me to it. God, they got so disappointing so fast after FtT.

It's so sad too
People don't want to see them for what they are but for what they whant them to be
Just like the music video youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes

tbf most people only care about the debut
in popular consciousness it definitely has overshadowed the superior hallowed ground

Gave it a listen earlier in the summer, wasn't huge on it. Helicopter is a banger though.
It's alright
This is accurate
Sort of true but they have some bangers spread through their discography. Fun band.
Accurate, although the follow up isn't bad by any means but Deathconciousness definitely gets the most praise

The worst post on this thread

Geogaddi is so much better than their debut

This is kinda unfair since MoTW are almost the same band and Bath and LYBM are GOAT

Plus Plastic House on Base of Sky has been excellent the few times I've listened to it so far

Don't get me wrong it's a very enjoyable album but I think the way their songwriting matured on the next two albums, especially mellophobia, showed a unique quality in the band that wasn't there before as well as a large lyrical improvement