If there ever was a good case for why punk needed to happen

If there ever was a good case for why punk needed to happen...

Here's your (you).

Prog still makes good albums unlike punk

i think that award goes to ELP's Brain salad surgery

Punk is awful anyway

Siberian Kathru is really groovy though.

CttE is more punk than anything in the titular genre desu

wrong album faggot

you stole a RYM review and didn't even post the right album

tales is good though

Is there a more pretentious prog album? I like this though.

StFU

Prog has been cringe fedora shit since the 90s, what are you talking about?

>cringe fedora shit
lmao good job making a retard out of yourself
Stick to overhyped Pitchfork shite

Steven Wilson made better alubms in last 20 years than all the pathetic punk revival bands

Punk's legacy goes well beyond retro-hardcore bands. Prog became too insular and ironically the opposite of progressive

Steven Wilson is literally the only one doing an acceptable job, but it's nothing in comparison to the 70s stuff.

>Wilson is the only one doing an acceptable job

W E W
E
W

What else is there? Modern post punk is a joke and so is most post-hardcore

>Prog became too insular and ironically the opposite of progressive
The ten or so prog bands people can name stagnated and nobody ever bothered to listen to any other artists, declaring prog dead forever.

No it's because prog never had wide mainstream appeal like punk

came here to post this

CTTE is perfection, then Tales just tries to fill up every moment with so much sound and its just such a let down

OK, I love CttE but this is just not true

I think you're copying me when I said that this album is why punk felt like a necessary development in music. There's nothing really pompous about Close to the Edge, it reaches amazing musical heights without ever really sounding like it's overstating itself, and the whole album feels very raw, natural, and earth-based. It doesn't try to force anything to sound powerful. It it did, they surely would have gone for the "epic closing track," but instead they took a very humble approach to following up side one, and overall, I think it's some of the most perfect music to come out of the entire rock umbrella. Tales From Topographic Oceans, on the other hand, is the direct opposite of Close to the Edge on every level. It projects as having importance that it lacks and arouses a desire for the highest without fulfilling it. Tales From Topographic Oceans is so pretentious, it almost sounds insulting at times. It just sounds like a collage of meaningless, insipid musical themes that were completely uninspired and fabricated out of nowhere, all tied together into something with no substance but acts like it's telling you something really important, but you just don't get it. If you think this is what Close to the Edge is, then I guess what I said completely flew over your head. Prog isn't why punk had to happen, what it had become by the mid 70's is.

name some good ones then

You guys know who Christgau is, right?

Christgau hates prog rock regardless of whether it's done well or not.

>It projects as having importance that it lacks
>acts like it's telling you something really important
but how does it do that?
i always found it weird how people are able to read all these ulterior motives into music

It's just really apparent if you really focus on what it's doing. I got into Yes when I was sixteen, and for awhile I think I actually thought that Tales From Topographic Oceans was their best work, because when you're sixteen and into prog, four twenty minute prog opuses seem like the best you can get. Once I really connected to Close to the Edge and all that it achieves in just those three tracks without the ego of Tales From Topographic Oceans, I started to see what was wrong with Tales. On Close to the Edge, it felt like they were just chiseling away at what they had within them, on Tales it felt like, "Shit, how do we top Close to the Edge? I know, let's just fill four sides of vinyl with long songs." Sad thing is, you can tell that they still had the right energy to do a great followup to Close to the Edge had they just left it as it's own thing and carried on from there, but instead they focused that energy on something abstract and intangible. What was amazing about Close to the Edge was that they were doing something that was completely within their capabilities, and it still seemed to transcend everything.