ITT: Can someone explain this switch?

ITT: Can someone explain this switch?

Originally, it seemed what joined the people of Sup Forums was eclecticism. Most people on the board would have broad tastes and will have listened to a ton of different music.

Recently, people are getting attacked for having broad interest in music. I've seen someone go as far as saying you can only have true taste if you listen primarily to a select few genres. Otherwise you're just being a drone or some shit.

Do people actually believe this? When did this mentality come in?

Autism.

what switch? It's always been like this. get some toughskin newfag

>insert pretend to be an oldfag comment here

It's autism. It infects every board.

wow you're really fitting in

Imo there's nothing wrong with having a broad taste in music as there's no right or wrong way to enjoy music. It's just regulars find the generals and genre specified threads on Sup Forums seem to have discussions about albums that aren't posted on Sup Forums daily

butthurt newfags

You're using the term newfag on Sup Forums grow the fuck up and return to .

Hmm yeah good point. I get that seeing the same album a million times gets very stale when you've been on here for a while.

Sometimes though it seems like some people project their insecurities about not having a super broad taste by telling others they must be faking their eclecticism. And this mindset seems to be quite popular lately.

It's always been this way, user. Sup Forums has a few safe and comfy, barely-underground artists they enjoy, and the rest is too scary for the majority. Occasionally the minorities come to the surface and deliver some decent threads with real discussion, but those often get taken over by the retards, resorting to intellectual back-and-forths of "FUCK U UR WRONG" anyway.

Although in share threads you'll always get a range of anons with broad collections, sharing their most obscure artists which they have listened to once and only have to beef up their itunes library. There are always a few anons amongst this group that can offer some discussion though.

Don't lose hope. There are some good people around. You just need to ignore most of the contributors (just like real life).

poptimism rose up, Sup Forums became marginally more tolerant and the leftover discriminating tastes gravitated toward fringe cliques in the generals, though I've been here since mpp was released and I think ultimately little has really changed, things just took on new appearances (indie hipsters aren't what's cool anymore; avant-teens are and that's being reacted against for a while now)

Unless you've been listening to music for a long time (and face it, most posters here are teenagers or in their early 20's), having an eclectic taste in music usually means you have a broad but shallow understanding of various genres. This causes the same surface-level albums to get discussed constantly, rather than discussion on obscure gems that one finds from cultivating a deep knowledge of one or two genres.The obsession with charts causes a similar problem but that's a different issue I guess.

Ultimately you should just listen to music the way you like to, but I sometimes get the feeling certain people here are trying to have a wide music taste for the sake of it.

dude you're the worst tripfag on this board
fuck off

he kind of has a point though. got nothing worthwhile to contribute? go away.
stop proving the thread accurate with your retarded cancer that is otherwise spoiling a potentially half-decent board.

or you can grow some tough skin and don't reply too me
but obviously you're too stupid for that kind of logical thinking :)

The first part of this point I definitely agree with. I don't go around saying to people "wow my music taste is enormous, I listen to everything haha"

In the end of the day i'm 21, and there are literally thousands of albums out there I will probably love that I am yet to listen to.

>but I sometimes get the feeling certain people here are trying to have a wide music taste for the sake of it

I do get this, and I guess it comes with the territory of an anonymous board that, if a trait is acknowledged, that trait then gets generalised to anyone who shows any symptom of said trait. E.g., if people think anons who love Sup Forumscore are just pretending to like it to fit in to Sup Forums, then everybody who likes lots of Sup Forumscore just gets lumped into that category.

In the end of the day, Sup Forumscore is where we tell newfags to start, then they report back with which Sup Forumscore they like, and the oldfags recommend them more shit to listen to. That's the general way the board works. I like this system. And a bit of Sup Forums animosity and trolling is all good. You come on Sup Forums, you know what you're getting into. I'd just like to see this system actually continue and work.

I've seen newfags spend two hours and ten million words arguing their case against people attacking them for liking Sup Forumscore and saying "they must be faking". Just kinda autistic if you ask me.

>Ur not tough enough 4 my words online!!1
The whole "newfags r bad lets laugh at them!11" mentality is cancerous as fuck which results in the same arguments/conversations over and over again.
user 1: who /oldfag/ here?
user 2: look i can triforce xD
user 3: DAE remember gorespammer?!?!
user 4: im not actually new i was just baiting u LOL!!!!!

>Most people on the board would have broad tastes and will have listened to a ton of different music.

half this board is kpop faggots and other poptimist trash who laff at led zeppelin and dont even 'get' jazz

cringe

This is a good point. We may be Sup Forums, but we're still not Sup Forums. This board has an actual point, or is supposed to.

Trolling is whatever until it literally stops any conversation or recommendation regarding music, which it does in some threads.

>tripfag
>thinking his opinion matters

Kek

It's all about presentation guys.

If you put on a 10 long psychedelic jam session by some obsure band from the 70s without context people will dislike it and adk you to turn it off.

You have to try to present it to them beforehand, by mentioning some background behind the music and how you end up listening to it people will be more open and willing to listen to it.

Also the mood is very important. Are you with your stoner friends, a collegue, a girl you're interested in?
Find out what they already like and put something on that you think might be in the same vein of their liking.

I imagine a lot of people who moan about "normies" dissing their music simply lack the social skills and logic behind putting on a piece of music. You have to be enthousiastic about it

is this a copypasta or just a totally irrelevant point?

>indie hipsters aren't what's cool anymore

Anyone else sorta miss this? I know indie is going outta style, but it was kinda nice listening to the flavor of the month band with Sup Forums and us all trying to justify why p4k gave it a BNM.

I will never believe people who claim to listen to drone unironically.

I'm not this random tripfag, nor am I defending him.

you just sound like a cunt lol

As a genuine drone fan, I find the people who think of it as a joke as ignorant. Yes, Sunn is a meme, and refrigerator-core, but if you listened to more than just 5 minutes of one track off of Black One, maybe you'd understand. Take Earth for example - sure Earth 2 isn't a great place to start, but if you listen to their more ambient work, it might be for you?!
Start slow, then build up to the heavier, more noise driven albums, you'd find bands like ASVA, Thrones or Nadja who manage to create astonishing soundscapes with more than just three chords strung out for fifteen minutes.

"I'm insecure that I don't like/can't appreciate x genre/album, therefore anyone who likes/appreciate x genre/album must be faking"

logical thinking is too hard for you bb

>logical thinking
>dude you're the worst tripfag on this board
>fuck off

>LOL NEWFAG MEMES IM OLDER THAN U

oh now you're not even trying, haha.

What a time to be Alive

people were even more hostile back then. We have metal generals now and I noticed even the hatred of the beatles has cooled

are you sure you're alive? you look pretty terminal in that selfie, user.

but lots of us do :(

well that was irrelevant but still great advice

i will never understand the fucks who think it's a good idea to play death grips with no warning beforehand when they get passed the aux cord

Yeah this. It's so autistic when some of my friends do this. My cringe levels max out.

why is British Bernie Sanders a trip onn/mu/

>trying to have a wide music taste for the sake of it.
What's wrong with that? I have the example of my uncle. He's a classical guitarist, and he's good at it. I don't think he owns so much as a single pick, and he thought the tremolo picked mandolin in Tubular Bells was fake. He can't stand anything with so much as a fuzzbox. Very deep, but very narrow taste.

A few years ago he confided in me that he was bored with his entire music collection. He didn't say this, but I believe that by being picky he boxed himself into a corner. And now he's in his late sixties and his taste just isn't flexible anymore.

So my goal is to avoid that outcome for myself, by going as broad as possible while I still can. I can transition from going broad to going deep at any time, if I want to.