CANADA

>CANADA

Please tell me aboot Canada. It looks like a pretty cool place to live.

I would like to live somewhere with a great natural environment, it does NOT need to be a big city but preferably have a major city within an hours drive.

I have my own photography business, I would be looking to do the same thing over there so the town area I lived would have to have at least a few hundred thousand people and somewhere that would be left mostly alone during any times of conflict.

Also safe...

Any other general Canada advice welcome.

Cold AF 6 months of the year.

>Please tell me aboot Canada.

What do you want to know specifically?

Nothing really special imo. We're like the Vanilla of countries, safe and secure but nothing really special or admirable.

Go do photography in Victoria, on Vancouver island buuuuuuuuddddddddd

Are you a girl? If yes come live in Kingston with me.

I am curious about working during winter/snowfall.

As I mentioned I have my own business here, it requires me to travel to locations for each job (I do approx 3 jobs per day).

I imagine snow makes this incredibly difficult? What do people do if they are in a similar situation (think any sole trader)??

I have met quite a few people from Canada over the years, all have been bros (and all of them basically said Canada is Australia but colder).

What is the Real Estate Industry like? What is the average house price in a decent area?

Anything you can tell me really.

>I imagine snow makes this incredibly difficult? What do people do if they are in a similar situation (think any sole trader)??

They get winter tires and deal with it.

or don't go to work. It's not that bad, it's not like constant snowfall. The past few winters in Ontario have been very tame

>What is the Real Estate Industry like? What is the average house price in a decent area?

Most inflated real estate prices in the world tbqh. Do NOT buy a house, just rent.

Living in a proper area like Vancouver or Toronto (or near those areas) will literally cost you millions of dollars for shacks. It's laughable how shitty yet expensive the homes are

They know how to drive in the stuff, and they have the equipment to move the snow quickly. It's mostly just a matter of getting snow tires and slowing down.

t. Great Lakes here. Similar snowfall

A

FUCKING

LEAF

Thanks,

Any recommendations for smaller cities? A few hundred thousand people would be enough to comfortably find work.

I photograph real estate and architecture, as long as it's not a tourist/holiday town and real estate is being sold I should be able to find work.

*rubs all your shoulders*

Praise Kek, my brothers!

Sorry not really sure about photography or what would be best for it. I'd imagine being near a majority city would be your best bet but on the otherhand you'd get a ton of competition too

>photographer

How the fuck do you make money doing that in today's market?

>it does NOT need to be a big city
>so the town area I lived would have to have at least a few hundred thousand people

Which is it, big city or not? The nearest town to me, 50km away, has about 5,000 people, that's way too many people, it's a hellhole rat-race. The whole province has less than 1 million.
We have photographers here

What did this poster mean by this?

Australia and Canada are the same shit, man. Your country's just really warm and our country's really cold.

They're both really really big, filled with Anglos, Abos, bought into the multiculturalism meme and try and keep up with the USA when it comes to industry.

Most people don't want to live in those middle of nowhere towns though. I live in a town of just under 90k and it's fucking boring as hell

It's a comfortable place to live

weather-wise, it can get quite cold in the winter but just like anywhere else with snowy winters metropolitan areas are good about keeping the streets clear and normal life continues. Invest in a good winter jacket I guess, it does make a difference. Lately though winters haven't been that bad.

Spring for the last few years has been a bitch, with flooding and lots of ice from temperature fluctuations.

Summer is hot as balls where I am in Ottawa, fall is great.

Politically we're pretty tame, too. Lately I've felt like the division between our conservative party and our liberal party widened but that may just be my own perception since I started working in politics.

If you like smaller cities it kind of depends. To be honest, Ottawa very much feels like a small city by most standards. It's not especially dense, and "downtown" is weirdly spread over a few main-streets that don't really connect in any meaningful way. Kingston is a nice one, Quebec City has a reputation in french canada for being a bit of a hick town but I think it looks beautiful. I love the maritimes but they are still suffering a lot economically. I've never been to Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba but I've had friends who came from or moved to all three, and the consensus seems to be it's a bit boring but no real complaints

I don't know sweet fuck all about the territories or Nunavut. I've heard it's miserable but they are desperate for people.

I made 140k+ last year

VICTORIA
I
C
T
O
R
I
A

You're just a boring nu-male who constantly needs stimulus from other people to feel entertained.
I live deep innawoods and am never bored, because there's plenty of shit to do

Her majesty's splendour!

What do you define as hot as balls?

Honestly, how many Asians and other non-whites would be in that area?

Not sure what numale is suppose to mean here but there isn't very many options in terms of jobs and there isn't a whole lot of interesting people to meet.

>Plenty of shit to do
Like what, man? I understand people are different but the vast majority of people under age 30 really don't enjoy living in small towns.

> innawoods
Is that a hip-hop thing?
It's literally just a mini-Vancouver.

Not him but I have seen it as hot as 41° in my province and muggy.
And I've seen it as low as -40°

BC having a lot of asians is really just a meme outside of places like Richmond.

It's literally not.

Victoria is an incredibly white city.

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

fucking humid

40c? That IS as hot as balls...

There are lots of jobs, real ones too like fishing and farming.
>Interesting people?
What?
>Like what?
Fishing, hunting, camping, kayaking, snowmobiling, parties, playing sports, pubs, etc.

In all honesty though, Calgary is probably the best bet for a big Canadian city. It's far cheaper than places like Vancouver and Toronto, and it's less of a depressing shithole than places like Winnipeg or Edmonton. Winters will take a bit of getting used to if you're from Australia, but it will essentially be like that even in the warmest parts of Canada.

Move to Winnipeg my Australian friend. Nice weather, lots of impressive architecture, and it's a great place to appreciate Canadian aboriginal culture.

>There are lots of jobs, real ones too like fishing and farming.

Not in my town and I'm not very interested in fishing or farming, those jobs kind of suck to be quite honest.

>What?
In my town there are only old people, children or losers with no direction in life, primarily. If i were to live in a city with a lot more people there would be a much greater range of different people to meet.

Yeah, the government issues warnings to avoid going outside for unnecessary reasons.
That's very rare though, it averages much less in the summer, probably around 28°-30°

I believe you mean First Nations and MÉTIS culture! Learn the difference!

This is a good choice, Calgary was great when lived there.
This is not a good choice; it's Winnipeg.

Fishing and farming are honestly the best jobs

what are you on about winnipeg is a bastion of canadian civilisation

How much do they pay?

What is the progression available in these fields?

Victoria is literally your best option

I'll check it out.

that sounds pretty fine but it seems needlessly divisive to talk down to people who prefer other activities, or to imply jobs that are not like fishing or farming aren't "real"

you're setting yourself up for a combative response by shitting on jobs you personally don't like as if they have less value.

personally I'm a more social person, and I sympathise with your desire to live somewhere with a more diverse population. It's worth recognizing that that's not a universal need, though.

Canada is America's New Zealand

at best, the same as owning your own business.

if you're a person who performs best/feels happiest in a structured environment with a clearly laid out path of progression it may not be the best fit for you.

>implying the Métis still exist as anything other than a meme
Barely any even speak French anymore, let alone Michif or Bungi.

what this guy means is no fish no pay

Commercial Fishermen earn an average hourly wage of $18.42. Hourly wages typically start from $10.11 and go up to $30.61. Commercial Fishermen earn an average salary of $38,310 per year. Salaries typically start from $21,020 and go up to $63,670.

What a great career.

$20/hr to catch fish. LOL

But those jobs are quite shit, objectively.

They are physical jobs, which don't pay very much and include a lot of headache and effort. And you have no growth. You could work as a Fisherman for 30 years and you wouldn't be making much more than when you first started. What's the point?

But is it really? I really do not see these careers as scalable whatsoever.

Quite honestly it seems like a career with bad pay, no respect and no upward growth

We still hunt buffalo

>how much do they pay

Varies wildly, some make next to nothing, I can make $50k in one month during the fall lobster fishery then roll right into scallop and urchin which is around $120 per day, and after that rockweed, I own my own weeding boat and can harvest 5 ton a day at $100 per ton then go for periwinkles to fill out an 8 hour work day, usually $80-100 in winkles
It's all seasonal though
There's almost nothing from mid January to late April

Why would one choose this sort of career over being an Accountant for example?

Based periwinkles!

ah yes sorry my bad

>There's almost nothing from mid January to late April

That's what pogey is for. God forbid you people find some thing else to work at for the rest of the year/

People who work on fishing boats don't tend to be so good when it comes to book learnin'

Because I find it more rewarding. After college I was a stringer features journalist and editor, it was alright but I'm a sucker for tradition, I like an older simpler lifestyle and an older simpler career.
I don't feel right preaching about classic Canadian values and the men that built Canada, then going to my downtown urban loft where I do nothing substantial for money.

Ah true. Well I'm glad you found something you like.

I want to become a Charted Accountant.

Montreal is an equally good option imo, especially in english cartiers if you don't speak a lick of french. Cost of living is very low, although provincial taxes are higher than most if not all

>but is it really?
for farming, that's literally all it is
Owning and operating a business. The trajectory of the upward growth is the same. You expand to the scale you feel comfortable with, you get more land, you hire people, etc.

it depends largely on what you personally need. If the comfort of an office environment is what you desire, accounting is for you. If that environment and that kind of work is torture to you (and it very definitely is for some), then the outdoorsiness and physicality of work like fishing may appeal to you.

Just as you could choose to treat a job in accounting as a dead end and work at the same desk for the rest of your life, so too can you when fishing.

Just as you could choose to take on more risk and responsibility in your accounting job, and aim to manage your own team, so too can you when fishing, choosing to captain your own boat, etc.

I think there is a needless disrespect for different kinds of work that cuts both ways (the country mentality that city-folk don't understand "real" work etc), and I think it weakens our workforce and puts unnecessary limits in the minds of our youth.

I went to a University in the states and graduated with a 3.8 GPA, dean's list every semester I matriculated, and was a Phi Beta Kappa honor society member. Then I worked for a couple newpapers.

There are plenty of fishermen and farmers who are good at book learnin'. Thomas Jefferson helped build America on the ideals of agrarianism.

>Calgary
*vomits*

Ontario or bust

It's a good job, my mother started as an accountant and is now COO of a medical cooperative, so the sky is the limit with that career choice.

Should I become a CFA instead?

Accounting seems like the easiest way to a 6 figure salary possible, but also seems kind of boring

Live in Ottawa. Montreal to the east, Toronto to the west, scenic city with a relatively small population.

>I think there is a needless disrespect for different kinds of work that cuts both ways

Urban workers get butthurt about fisherman because we pay more into EI than you, yet it's almost impossible for us to collect benefits when we need it, while fisherman and other seasonal workers are free to earn high annual salaries while brazenly abusing the EI program year-in-year-out.

Tell me more about Montreal. I vaguely follow the Canadiens.

The west is the best

Decades ago Montreal used to be Canada's main city, but then the Quebecois started making noise about separating from Canada and a LOT of people and businesses left for Toronto. Montreal is still a very nice city, a major cultural center, and definitely worth visiting, but the city's best days are long behind it.

>best days
>infested with anglos
pick one, and only one

>scenic city with a relatively small population.
All professional liars and Arabs.

>I vaguely follow the Canadiens.
DIE DIE DIE

Why would anyone show interest in our country?

I don't know. Even I don't have an interest in our country.

I live in Calgary. I noticed many young adult Australians are working in towns in the mountains near here like Banff or Canmore.

That's been a thing for at least +20 years. I don't know why they'd travel 13,000 km to freeze their nuts off for minimum wage as ski lift attendants but they do.

Grass is greener. Lots of Canadians go to Australia to harvest fruit in the scorching heat.

One of my favourite cities, probably the most european style city we've got. Rent's cheap, food's great, big entrepreneurial spirit, lots of students, big presence for the arts and plenty of music festivals. Probably one of the most bilingual cities in canada, there is a sizeable english district and you can get by anywhere using english. Sizeable english job market as well. Used to be a recognized tourist destination but back when seperatism was big a lot of legislation passed to force businesses to be more french which drove out a lot of big companies. It's only just now starting to recover.

Cons: high taxes and fucking notorious for corruption scandal after corruption scandal regarding things like bids for construction projects.

french canadians have a reputation for being pricks but that hasn't been my experience.

ottawa's pretty chill desu bro
feels like it's expensive for no good reason to live downtown tho

yeah but australia's fuckin got beaches and kangaroos m8
we've got... slush and raccoons?