Audiophile General

>We appreciate high-quality phono-cartridges.

>We recognize a good digital-to-analog converter.

>We care about the capacitors in an amplifier.

We will not apologize for this.

I bet you don't even use Vorbis.

You would be mistaken, friendo ^_^

Oh ok I'm sorry. Can you believe people still use mp3? What's up with THAT?

>Can you believe people still use mp3?

No : )

You guys are faggots

what`s your point?

how about we discuss high fidelity recordings instead of expensive gear that many mutants can't afford?

Are you poor?

what's your PayPal?

>lossy compression
>audiophile

Would you like to talk about lossy algorithms and how Vorbis is completely inverse cancelable to flac at q6?

Wow you sound smart
How many friends do you have irl?

Let me know how many you have first, pleb.

This is a thread for ~true~ audiophiles. Please leave us alone : )

Honestly 2 or 3 close, 6 total :/

I convert my FLAC to MP3 for travel etc, because I have a lot of music. Is Vorbis better? Smaller filesize, better quality? I just convert all mine to MP3-CBR 320 but I still run out of space, is V0 or Vorbis q6 better?

i use 256 fdk aac

rate me.

>We will rub it in everyone's face
>We will look down on people don't
>We will pat ourselves on the back for like it
>We will argue endlessly about equipment we've never used
>We will hate others for having different opinions

I spend hundreds of dollar on equipment/only download lossless audio/etc but this side of the audiophile community is garbage.

Vorbis is definitely better (and Opus is even better but less supported). Vorbis has a much improved quality:size ratio. Quality 5 is considered absolutely transparent but I use Q6 because it's still smaller than V0.

If you must use mp3/LAME, use v0. V0 can reach 320kbps (and higher?) if need be.

I agree.
I haven't spent that much money (I have k702s and a E10k FiiO amp/dac, nothing fancy).

To the human ear there's no difference between 320/V0 mp3 (unless it's a shit transcode) and FLAC/WAV or any lossless format. The issue with lossy formats is that you can't (or shouldn't) convert them to another format.

V0 can't reach above 20k.
Until recently, it had its cut-off freq. at 19.5kHz. Not that you can really tell the difference though.

Why?

What abput AAC, people say that it sounds better than MP3 at the same bitrate, or is it just a waste of space

Better than mp3 for sure but still old and outdated compared to Vorbis.

vorbis has spotty support at best.

I'm listening to A Love Supreme on Apple Music via my MacBook's speakers right now

thanks for the info man, always played it safe and used 320CBR, but could only fit like 70% of my library, I just did some test converts and I really was finding it hard to hear any difference between q6 and 320, this is gonna save me so much space

(You)
Here's an EAC flac rip converted to 320, v0, and vorbis q6 with the most recent LAME, libVorbis and ffmpeg.

V0 has no low-pass brickwall. Vorbis has a slight shelf above ~20k. 320 is brickwalled at 20k.

v0 is slightly smaller than 320, vorbisq6 is significantly smaller than either.

If you give a shit about audio quality you're listening on a device with ogg support anyway.

Also

> $(date +%Y)
> Not listening on phone or rockboxed audio player

no since there are devices that don't support yet have good hardware.

320 is just that. 16 * 20(k) = 320.
The latest LAME has V0 at 20k instead of 19.5k (or I've been told it's capped at that, not sure, but again, it doesn't matter).

damn I've been so inefficient

one last question, what component/plugin should I install to foobar for the best vorbis conversion? I think I've got whatever the initial software came with

Use ffmpeg or dbpoweramp. Idk about foobar plugins.

[email protected]