Its decent, but their worst besides Pablo Honey

its decent, but their worst besides Pablo Honey

why was it so hyped up on release?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nmjyUce7kSU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nope it's in their top 5

even pablo honey is better. AMSP is a fucking pile of dogshit besides daydreaming. Most boring, dull, and lifeless music ive ever heard

because
>muh strings

It's a least a 8/10

it's one of their best imo

what do you like so much about it?

I only rank it behind Amnesiac desu

it's quite good, top 5 for me as well, probably fifth tho

Kid A > Amnesiac >= In Rainbows > OKC > AMSP > HTTT > TKOL > The Bends > Pablo Honey

The production and the depressing overtone on the entire album for me

It doesn't sound like it at all but it reminds me of Kid A the most out of their other albums, which is probably my favorite RH album

> why was it hyped
it's Radiohead bruh

>worst since Pablo Honey
nah it's solidly 4th or so

i enjoy the quiet and introspective nature behind the lyrics (besides burn the witch and numbers it's free from yorke's ideological grandstanding) and music. i like the meandering and capacious structures of the songs - they clearly put the sounds and timbres and atmosphere above traditional songwriting and melody - which i like - but i understand why others think the lack of progression is detrimental to the record. i dunno, it just clicked with me.

Kid A, Ok Computer, In Rainbows, and A Moon Shaped Pool are their best 4 imo.
Kid A is definitely #1 but I don't know how I would rank the others

Kid A > OKC > AMSP = IR > Amnesiac > HTTT = TKOL > Bends >>>>> Pablo

>its decent, but their worst besides Pablo Honey

bait.jpg or did you forget The King of Limbs exist?

Their top 5 switches for me constantly but this is the objective bottom half rankings

ive never disliked an album so much, then loved it when i listened to it in the right mood. it takes a certain feeling to enjoy this album but its worth it. its pretty relaxing too

HTTT > Amnesiac > OKC > AMSP = Kid A > In Rainbows > TKOL = The Bends > Pablo

fight me

I mean HTTT has some of their best peaks but the lows are too low to put it in the top 5

We Suck Young Blood is just an awful song

WSYB could have been salvaged imo if that jazzy piano break was extended but it only lasted a few seconds, sadly.

>kid a that low
it's like you're trying to be wrong

Cause it's Radiodick. Half of you still think Kid A is the best thing ever made.

i thought King of Limbs was a bit better. I like Lotus Flower more than anything on AMSP, and i feel like AMSP's lows are definitely lower

>Radiodick

are you 12 years old?

3rd best album for me. It consistently checks off my fetishes for a melancholic mood, dense but tastefully layered progressions, and a dreamlike atmosphere. I can see why some wouldn't feel it as it has its idiosyncratic tendencies, but while it seems to be the kind of album that people would need to be in a certain mood to listen to, it rather aggressively appeals to my default mood so I love it.

overrated as hell, EIIRP and Idioteque are great, rest is decent background music. Motion Picture Soundtrack was better acoustic.

The only song I don't like is Scatterbrain desu, rest of it is fuckin great

That's arguably my least favorite part of that song because I like WYSB as a whole. I dig the dirge-like vibe it's got going, it works perfectly within the album's generally miserable as fuck mood, and while I don't hate the jazz break I could honestly do without it.

Hahaha, are you for real? Summer as fuck

2nd best for me only behind In Rainbows. Kid A has been bumped to 3rd for me.

Seriously love this album.

It grew on me a lot. I now like it as much as I do the rest of their non-Pablo Honey albums, and slightly more than The King Of Limbs, which despite being my second-least favorite Radiohead album, I still personally give a 9/10.

I can certainly see it being arguable but I think AMSP is an improvement from IR. In a lot of ways it's like Weird Fishes was a prototype for this record, what with all the lush, layered instrumentation going on in that track. AMSP takes that concept and runs with it, and while it's not as warm or tight of a listen as IR, I prefer the colder, sprawling nature of AMSP's songs. That said, I definitely think it's a matter of personal preference.

TKOL is their best album. Have you heard much Krautrock? Do you like Remain In Light?

Interesting. Yeah I can see how Arpeggi sounds like it was the original seed for the album. Along those lines I think there's an argument to be made that AMSP is what IR would have sounded like if Thom and Rachel split before then.

So at that point it just becomes whether you like the happier version (IR) or the sadder, darker version (AMSP)

>The production and the depressing overtone on the entire album for me
i definitely think around the time of amnesiac they started making lighter music, and then this album brought it all back down, i guess because thoms life went to shit

the album isnt terrible, and i dont hate pablo honey either

>Kid A > OKC > AMSP = IR > Amnesiac > HTTT = TKOL > Bends >>>>> Pablo
no

>HTTT > Amnesiac > OKC > AMSP = Kid A > In Rainbows > TKOL = The Bends > Pablo
no

here it is:
kid a > OKC > In rainbows > HTTT = amnesiac > the bends > TKOL > AMSP = pablo honey

tru.
the songwriting was a noticeable step down, even from tkol
i'll never stop cringing into near coma from 'broken hearts make it rain' what the fuk? they should have made another album like the first half of tkol, that's where the interesting terrain is.

gee i cant think of a single reason why a new album by a popular band was hyped upon release

Not him, but unless you REALLY like the things you just listed that's part of the reason why TKOL isn't particularly impressive. The band simply wore their Can/Talking Heads boner a bit more out on their sleeve than usual, and otherwise sounds like a sideways step from a band that, up until that point, had always inched forward with each release. TKOL is good but it ultimately does little that Radiohead hadn't already done before.

what are you fucking gay or something? that's the best song on that album. HTTT's lows are much better than amsp's highs.
shit opinion my man.

this doesnt happen as often as you think, TKOL was fucking panned at release.

Amnesiac > Kid A > OKC > Rainbows > AMSP > Bends > HTTT = TKOL > Amok >>> Pablo

Well yeah but it was still hyped as shit. like any and every rh album to date.

In Rainbows > Kid A > OK Computer > Amnesiace >= Hail to the Thief > The Bends > TKOL > AMSP > Pablo Honey

AMSP is very overrated, the songwriting seems lazy (its almost obvious that half the songs were written long ago without being intended to put together on an album) and the "lush" production doesn't have enough decent instrumentation to back it up besides on a few tracks, Thom's lyrics were rarely a huge strong point and that case hasn't really changed here, which is a shame for an album which could really use it all the way through.

Yeah it was hyped... until people listened to it, then it didn't get as much praise as AMSP.

my man, we are practically the same and even I have to admit some bias towards In Rainbows on my part, just an album I have a lot of connections with. Good ranking.

>panned

No, it just wasn't absolutely showered with praise. The reception was divided, but ultimately positive.

Right.

Because AMSP is better than TKOL.

I think you're confusing the terms "hype" and "praise."

Because it wasn't TKOL.

>he says five years later
I could be selective and say amsp was panned at release too. they're a massive band, lots of stuff will be written about any release in either direction.

>(its almost obvious that half the songs were written long ago without being intended to put together on an album)

This is pure bullshit. All of the songs except three (Present Tense , Burn The Witch and True love Waits) are post TKOL era songs.

Im not confusing terms, its OP.

>but their worst besides Pablo Honey

Ok Computer is their worst only plebs think otherwise.

Right, and TLW and Present Tense have extremely different arrangements then they used to - totally reworked to fit the album.

Identikit and Big Boots were performed regularly on the TKOL tour though, I'm pretty sure they were written with the Staircase EP

>Good ranking.
thx m8

>i definitely think around the time of amnesiac they started making lighter music

What. Amnesiac and HTTT are two of the band's most explicitly dark albums, and In Rainbows is their most subtly dark. TKOL did lighten up a bit, though.

But that's the problem, they weren't written for the album, they were altered, and to me it shows. True Love Waits in particular just sounds like a normal acoustic guitar song with random pauses in it and lush instrumentation, feels very inorganic compared to Daydreaming

>AMSP hate

fucking plebian shits

Radiohead have been doing that for ages, Motion picture soundtrack was written right after Creep and Nude was a song from 1995.

youtube.com/watch?v=nmjyUce7kSU

Bait as fuck

I think TLW works well within the album's mood and context. Album seems to have heartbreak and solitude as loose themes and AMSP's rendition of it sounds deathly serious compared to the breezier take of the 90's guitar based versions. I think it pairs particularly well with Daydreaming, which probably should've been the album's opener.

Motion Picture Soundtrack was actually written before Creep, they just never got around to recording it. Pretty evident by the lyrics, even though it's shit Creep it is still a lot more literal than the rest of Kid A.

>Amnesiac and HTTT are two of the band's most explicitly dark albums
yeah, it peaked there is my point

>In Rainbows is their most subtly dark
>subtly dark

how so

not shit like Creep***

lmao shit creeps

You are right, my bad.

It's the kind of album that makes death and existential despair catchy. The songs are so casually enjoyable that it's easy to let even more overt statements like Nude, Reckoner, and Videotape slip by. In Rainbows as a whole is by no means a happy record, though. Not even fucking close.

Still mad about Thom cutting that third verse.

Yeah, but it just seemed to work better with MPS (but I'm still kinda miffed they cut out the second verse), something about the full instrumentation here seems better than the emptiness of True Love Waits, it just makes it sound a little more rushed, also I heard MPS before Crazy (think thats what the demo's called anyway) so I might be a bit biased on that.I still like the new version but it doesn't feel as finely crafted as a lot of the rest of the album does.

I agree with you on that last part, if only because Burn the Witch was a horrible opener. I love the song but it sets the whole album to be something it's not and sticks out like a sore thumb, which is a shame, because I would have loved an album with Jonny going mad on the strings.

Burn The Witch is my second favorite song on the album but yeah, it's mood isn't in line with the album at large. You could maybe pair it with Tinker Tailor and possibly Decks Dark but it is a pretty different cut. Got me hype for a HTTT 2 personally since that's my favorite album of theirs, hence why I think so highly of the song.

Big Boots isn't on AMSP and existed during The Bends

People who don't think Amnesiac is at least their second best album are wrong

I don't, but if it's any consolation Knives Out is my favorite Radiohead song.

honestly its the second best possibly best on the album and is vastly underrated imo

It has a consistently like gravel in a catalog universally acclaimed for 2-3 well made concept albums. It has some of their highlights though, Life in a Glasshouse is my favourite of theirs.

People who seriously try to tell others how much they should enjoy any given album are wrong.

I like it, but my god is it their most forgettable, no song stuck out.

Decks Dark is pretty great, true love waits is nice on here, glass eyes, daydreaming.

I don't know, I hate Burn the Witch, the lyrics make me cringe. I just don't like it.

As forgettable as TKOL was. It's good, but it's nothing special

>The songs are so casually enjoyable that it's easy to let even more overt statements like Nude, Reckoner, and Videotape slip by. In Rainbows as a whole is by no means a happy record, though. Not even fucking close.
while i dont agree with you, i respect your opinion user

Another user here...

...And isn't that sort of what makes music and albums so great? They're always open to the interpretation of the listener. I've had albums that I've loved in the past for more dark reasons find new meaning years later when I find them resonating with me for more positive reasons. Life's an open door; and so it goes with music as well.

I punctuated that sentence very poorly; forgive me haha...

>free from yorke's ideological grandstanding

probably its best quality.

>but its their worst besides PH

Im sorry...what kind of shit are you possibly on to think that?
I mean holy fucking shit man.
You must had atrocious taste

get out montie

You get out

You'd have to be dense not to see In Rainbows as dark. Read any of Thom's thoughts on the album's themes and moods. Most of it he considered caustic or borne from panic about dying.

>one by one it comes to us all...15 steps, then a sheer drop
>I do not understand what it is I've done wrong
>don't get any big ideas; they're not gonna happen
>Everybody leaves if they get the chance and this is my chance-- I get eaten by the worms.
>I'm just an insect trying to get out of the night. I only stick with you because there are no others.
>You got melted to butter.
>Can't take it with you...because we separate like ripples on a blank shore, in rainbows.
>Kiss your husband good night. Forget about your house of cards.
>Wish away your nightmare.
>Mephistopheles is just beneath, and he's reaching up to grab me.

The songs' topics range from a hanging to wanting a girl who's taken to Faust to not being good enough for someone. You've got dread and hopelessness throughout, except on Reckoner, which sounds more accepting

In Rainbows > Hail to the Thief > Ok Computer > Amnesiac > A Moon Shaped Pool > Kid A > The Bends > The King of Limbs > Pablo Honey

>We Suck Young Blood is just an awful song
Are you fucking serious?

He thinks he's serious; really he's just ill-informed. It'll come in time methinks.