/classical/ - Choral edition

/classical/ - Choral edition

Post and discuss your favourite choral works and/or composers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hjbhgXP2l_8
youtube.com/watch?v=xGphaLAgpfU
youtube.com/watch?v=nkL9Dp2rRw0
youtube.com/watch?v=pD4wyKOAd0w
youtube.com/watch?v=sJGbtqUGVnY
youtube.com/watch?v=v2PZFB-27hM
youtube.com/watch?v=6dVPu71D8VI
youtube.com/watch?v=Fs_AgCTovik
youtube.com/watch?v=2S30Hwgf8sU
youtube.com/watch?v=TGmEV_sxWIM&index=8&list=PLh2wsFUgyJbbBRKGW2xmOu8FcydRyAjxn
youtube.com/watch?v=cBtmgwVn8Nk
youtube.com/watch?v=Klddb5e70-c
youtube.com/watch?v=o9L_09FMjq0&list=PLLB6AS01qBnqS3KoPCTBsixsP8BMZJSN8
youtube.com/watch?v=x2MUpflIkKM
youtube.com/watch?v=rMRzGjqXChs
youtube.com/watch?v=mzK8tp4DWoE
youtube.com/watch?v=KBuBiFZAc7U
youtube.com/watch?v=1bf0-LT6EZg
youtube.com/watch?v=sWaVqwtgC0c
youtube.com/watch?v=4nAdVnAQ8n0
youtube.com/watch?v=V72f4DX7h54
youtube.com/watch?v=d5PU97xMIc4
youtube.com/watch?v=uYBce9Gsz7g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can anyone recommend some works similar to this?

my favs:
Johannes Ockeghem - Missa Pro Defunctis
Antoine Brumel - Missa Et Terrae Motus

i haven't listened to much choral music yet though so my opinion isn't too valuable

I do think those two are beautiful though

woops missa et ECCE terrae motus desu

I like Hildegard Von Bingen's choral work and Gounod's Saint Cecilia Mass.

Remember to be nice to Sofia.

Recommend me some more like this.

>listening to Western choral music other than the Cantigas
fucking plebs, diversify your listening habits

here's a few prime Easterns and the best Cantiga

youtube.com/watch?v=hjbhgXP2l_8

youtube.com/watch?v=xGphaLAgpfU

youtube.com/watch?v=nkL9Dp2rRw0

youtube.com/watch?v=pD4wyKOAd0w

That's actually quite an interesting question, if you're asking about Josquin's Hercules mass. It really is something special in Josquin's mass output considering how terse and tightly constructed it is. I think the closet you can get to it are Josquin's mature cantus firmus motets. Huc me sydereo, Praeter rerum seriem, Benedicta es, and of course, the incomparable Miserere mei Deus.

>diversify your listening habits
Hardly any people are well acquainted with the great heritage of mainstream western polyphony as it is. And it always helps to start from the central canon and then branch out only when one's sufficiently familiar with it.

>That's actually quite an interesting question, if you're asking about Josquin's Hercules mass. It really is something special in Josquin's mass output considering how terse and tightly constructed it is. I think the closet you can get to it are Josquin's mature cantus firmus motets. Huc me sydereo, Praeter rerum seriem, Benedicta es, and of course, the incomparable Miserere mei Deus.
Thanks. I was referring specifically to how energetic and immediately striking it is, particularly the Kyrie, Gloria and Sanctus. The Sanctus (the to a lesser extent the Kyrie) of Obrecht's Missa Malheur me bat has a similar quality. They both seem like great masses for introducing the format to those who might not otherwise be interested.

Will he be the next to die?

Penderecki. I'm calling it

Do you have any more recommendations? I loved "The Monks of Simonopetra are chanting".

Kapustin, maybe? Sciarrino? Makes me quite sad, one of my professors studied composition under Rautavaara for some time and we spoke of his works quite frequently. I was deeply saddened when I learned of his passing.

If you have it, would you mind sharing the recording for that first work?

Of all the big name composers around today pic related will probably go last.

Penderecki can't die. He's immortal.

It appears to be on Soulseek actually, oddly enough.

It's rather hard to speak to specific tastes when we're talking about music like this. I think the best suggestion I can give is to look into various monasteries to see if each one has any recordings. That's how I found Simonopetra, and that's how I've found a lot of Eastern music.

Cerha desu

HYPE

BACH
IS
A
FUCKING
GOD
HOLY
SHIT

>B*g fans actually believe this

he's 82...

>BIAFGHS
?

Gubaidulina maybe.

>In forte passages the poor deaf man pounded on the keys until the strings jangled, and in piano he played so softly that whole groups of notes were omitted, so that the music was unintelligible unless one could look into the pianoforte part.
>G*rmans

My God! What has sound got to do with music!

*deafmans

>I was referring specifically to how energetic and immediately striking it is
I was actually thinking about this myself a while back, and the more I thought about it the more astonishing the mass seemed to me. The cantus firmus treatment is one of the strictest in Josquin, and every movement follows the exact same plan: 8 breves rest, 8 breves motto, repeated three times, each time the motto is stated at a higher pitch. The only movements without the Hercules motto are the pleni and agnus II, which are of course strict canons. The mass absolutely had no right to be as attractive as it is, being so rigidly constrained and bound to such a monotonous subject.

Yet somehow Josquin managed to make it work. Just like you said, there is this incredible energy in the voices, they are constantly moving in minims and semiminims, most times in close imitation with each other, and covering large leaps quite frequently. I think it's interesting to note that, apart from the Sanctus, none of the free voice state a note longer than a semibreve outside of cadences, while the tenor proceeds _entirely_ in breves. It's like the tenor inhabits a different realm from the other voices. There is also this incredible control on the drama of the musical events, where he builds up tension just up to the brink, and then unleashes it in an exhiliarating manner, like pic related. This dramaticnarrative in the piece is probably what draws people to the piece.

why are the flats above the notes

Editorial accidentals are placed above the staff. It means that there isn't any explicit accidental in the source, but the editor suggest that an accidental to be sung in the place nonetheless. The majority of Renaissance accidentals are unwritten, and a singer of the day would know when to apply them based on context. Modern day editions usually have the editor supply them so singers today can still sing the right notes.

why did renaissance composers not use accidentals? theyre all on B too and thats the only accidental medieval composers used too

>why did renaissance composers not use accidentals?
They did, it was just unwritten. A singer trained using the Guidonian hand and hexachord mutations would know when to inflect a B-flat or E-flat from melodic, and sometimes harmonic context. With cadential leading tones, the melodic figures are highly stereotyped so a singer can easily tell when to sharpen them to make a proper cadence.

In a way their notation is more flexible than ours, because the absolute pitch of a note depends on the context leading up to it. So they can have these kind of wonderful spirals where every note end up a semitone lower. Whereas in modern notation we have to resort to using very ugly groups of accidentals to convey the same thing.

why is renaissance so safe and boring?

Because you should probably stop listening to the Tallis Scholars and The Sixteen singing English music or Palestrina. At this point they're just doing the community a disservice more than anything else.

so what should I listen to?

Start at the middle entries of the second row (the two albums mentioned in this thread so far) and branch out in either direction.

Its a different mindset. The music is extremely interesting if you can step into the 15th or 16th century. The vocal music also has a pretty important role in communicating text, so you cant just go balls to the wall insane all the time, people have to be able to understand the words. Its also an evolution of plainsong so you have to understand that thats the underlying melodic norm - slow meandering melodies that are extremely expressive, but solemn and reflective, rather than lively and energetic like later melodic ideas or secular music of the time.

Its "safe" becuase they tend to stick to one mode at a time pretty strictly except around cadences.

Dont listen to it if you dont like it. Its 400+ years old, dont expect it to satisfy your 21st century attention span and sensibilities

So you telling I need to learn italian now if I want to fully understand and therefore enjoy it?

I'm not really looking to fully get into it so if you can just post a youtube link of a nice piece i'll give it a fully concentrated listen and decide if I want to go forward or nah.

>italian
nope, its mostly in latin.

I'm saying if you dont enjoy it, move on, find something else. One needs to feel a special connection to the past, and to sacred vocal music in order to enjoy renaissance polyphony.

You could try some of these:
youtube.com/watch?v=sJGbtqUGVnY
youtube.com/watch?v=v2PZFB-27hM
Some of the more out-there harmonically:
youtube.com/watch?v=6dVPu71D8VI
youtube.com/watch?v=Fs_AgCTovik

>I'm not really looking to fully get into it so if you can just post a youtube link of a nice piece i'll give it a fully concentrated listen and decide if I want to go forward or nah.
Sanctus from the Malhuer me bat mass:
youtube.com/watch?v=2S30Hwgf8sU
Hercules mass:
youtube.com/watch?v=TGmEV_sxWIM&index=8&list=PLh2wsFUgyJbbBRKGW2xmOu8FcydRyAjxn

Poly for chrissake stop posting that Requiem mass. The Morales underrating is bad enough around here without us giving them more ammunition.

>latin.
lmao that's even worse

Though I actually have a big connection with the past but less to sacred vocal music I guess. Thanks for the links i'll give them a fair try

I wanna get into Bach, but can't find any mega link. Also, I don't want files in FLAC

Help me out, familias

How does this compare to the fugues of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Brahms?

youtube.com/watch?v=cBtmgwVn8Nk

What do you polyphony guys think of Gregorian Chant? Here's some from the abbey of fontgombault in france, and the abbey of clear creek here in the US, a daughter house of Fontgombault. They are supposed to have basically the best gregorian in the world since they were tasked by the holy see to revive it once it was lost after the french revolution.
youtube.com/watch?v=Klddb5e70-c
youtube.com/watch?v=o9L_09FMjq0&list=PLLB6AS01qBnqS3KoPCTBsixsP8BMZJSN8

Petzold

pretzel

youtube.com/watch?v=x2MUpflIkKM

>listening to non-frogs interpreting frog works

What's a good recording for that one and other Ravel piano works?

youtube.com/watch?v=rMRzGjqXChs

youtube.com/watch?v=mzK8tp4DWoE

You only need to know two people

Monique Haas and Samson Francois

Richter also has brilliant renditions of Ravel's music as well

Thanks!
Downloading some Samson François now

>first french empire in 1804
wew lad

Samson Francois provides a more laxed, jazzy almost Debussyian interpretation of his works

Haas is strictly Ravellian and classicist. She plays closer to Ravel's intentions than Francois

I prefer her rendition of Jeux d'eau than Francois's, who I find takes too much liberty with the piece

yeah, that's Francois. he's a lot like his teacher, Cortot, in that way.

his liberties are interesting though.

Michelangeli is also worth mentioning i think even if he recorded less

Already (kind of) into Debussy so I'm O.K. with that. As I'm new to Ravel I might end up listening to Haas since the composer's intention is still a variable to consider when wanting to appreciate their work.

Which is exactly why I like him so much, however I just think he drags out Jeux d'eau too much, I love the fast by the sheet paper of Haas, it was how I heard the piece in the first place so maybe that's why I'm bias towards that playing

Will someone be a pal and nab this off of what for me

torrents.php?id=401209

>His music is revered for its technical command, artistic beauty, and intellectual depth.

What was the autistic wikipedia editor thinking when he wrote this on JS Bach's article? Did he honestly think myself and the thousands of other patricians across the globe wouldn't realize how laughable, stupid, and un-cited this claim was?

>technical command
All due to his autism

>artistic beauty
He read many popular novels during his time and incorporated folk music in to his pieces, Bahc is honestly the last person I wouldn't expect him to understand anything that resembles Art

>intellectual depth
His iq was 85

Don't talk shit about Bach

He had only had sex 20 times in his lifetime, didn't even look into his wifes eye when they were doing the fug and also

>didn't write an opera

Its not his fault though, autism does fuck people's lives up

< someone here rec'd me this
fuck you

>having sex for any purpose other than procreation
absolutely degenerate

Didn't Bach have like 16 kids? That's a damn good ratio.

petzold

pretzel

tallis scholars are bad*ss.......

>dudezelenkalmao
youtube.com/watch?v=KBuBiFZAc7U
youtube.com/watch?v=1bf0-LT6EZg
youtube.com/watch?v=sWaVqwtgC0c
youtube.com/watch?v=4nAdVnAQ8n0
youtube.com/watch?v=V72f4DX7h54
youtube.com/watch?v=d5PU97xMIc4

I think you need to kill yourself

Working on it

Be nice to hipster Baroque animufag.

>anime baroque user

petzold

Why do people here think this guy is funny

petzold isn't funny petzold is serious

petzold

>The fundamentals of jazz are the syncopation and rhythmic accents of the Negro. Their modernization is the work of New York Jews [...] So Jazz is Negro music seen through the eyes of the Jews
what did he mean by this?

He has a funny name.

who this qt

best work?

She's fucked poly. She has shit taste AIDS

This gen recommended I listen to Rossini

Thanks a lot for that

Rossini is for babbys
youtube.com/watch?v=uYBce9Gsz7g

?????

then i'm a babby user
it used to just be liszt scriabin and rachmaninov desu

She has laid with Poly in a sexual manner and has poor taste and AIDS. I think he was getting at something like that.

what are some good pedophile composers other than Bruckner?
I want to be engulfed in the music of a conflicted loli-lover who has a war of morality raging on in their head over whether he should swoop down on some 12 year old anus

please get back to me within 1 to 2 business minutes or i will kill my dog

Rosenmuller.

thank u

are there good shota loving composers

Rosenmuller.

Benjamin Britten

>baidu
How does one navigate through these moonrunes?

Brahms

Google translate.

no brahms was the shota

And he loved himself.

petzold

He loved thick juicy sailor cocks

>doing the fug
more like... doing the FUGUE
LOL!!!!!!