Why is all electronic music nowadays dance music...

why is all electronic music nowadays dance music? is it possible to make a living making electronic music that isn't dance music? (inasmuch as it's possible to make a living making music at all)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=voWUYRfsZbE
youtube.com/watch?v=bVZjxlerb1A
youtube.com/watch?v=HMkDRNfFnm0
youtube.com/watch?v=G77uuDVpsSo
youtube.com/watch?v=TGdPU0iHgLM
youtube.com/watch?v=uIjHKdOe4OI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is the new Venetian Snares dance music? That doesn't sound right.

Is the new John Carpenter dance music? That doesn't sound right either.

What is Trent Reznor's solo work

>why is all electronic music nowadays dance music?

Wot r u on about m8

what are you doing on this site dad

give me some examples if i'm wrong.

see

By dance music do you mean EDM?

yeah that's what i thought. a breakcore artist (a subgenre of dance music last time i checked) and a 70 year old composer who is hardly an example of "nowadays"

yeah

>and a 70 year old composer who is hardly an example of "nowadays"
except it is

and your literal ageism doesn't change that

*but regardless, synthwave is hugely popular if thats what youre looking for

kraftwerk was dance music

>solo

There are more people making ambient and noise music than ever

man i'm not saying he isn't relevant because he's old. i am just looking for artists who have started their career in let's say the last 6 or 7 years and are making a living making non-edm electronic music.

the whole point of this thread is that i'm interested in making electronic music because i like synths, but i'm not aware of what genres/scenes are out there that don't descend from edm which i can't relate to.

it just came out wrong. it's hard to ask this question cause idk what the fuck i'm talking about which is why i'm making this thread in the first place.

and making a living?

>and making a living?
Hire Me Hollywood: The Album
youtube.com/watch?v=voWUYRfsZbE

*thats actually a somewhat atypical song as I recall
youtube.com/watch?v=bVZjxlerb1A

>what is ambient
>what is downtempo
>what is chillwave
>what is vaporwave
>what is nu jazz
>what is future jazz

Tycho, Bonobo, Boards of Canada, the list goes on...

>go to sports store or super market / any public commercial chain
>dance music
i dont wanna dance i just came there to buy my shit and get out IT DOESNT FUCKING BELONG THERE DANCE IS CLUB MUSIC NOT SOME GOD DAMN TREND YOU NEED TO RAPE TO DEATH JUST COZ YOU WANTED TO BE FUCKING HIP & COOL

i hate edm and pop so much in places where they dont belong

all i wanted was reccs, thank u :)

I know that feel user

I went to a fancy Japanese restaurant last week and they had top 40 pop music playing. I expected some traditional Japanese music or at least j-pop, but instead there was fucking Taylor Swift.

OP, this has steady beat, and it's performed live, but would you limit this performance to the term EDM?
youtube.com/watch?v=HMkDRNfFnm0

Try Mo' Horizons, De-Phazz, Tosca, Afternoons In Stereo, Mixxbowl, Small Night Orchestra, AUditors DOmination, Apedroid, Atjazz, Aydio, Beat Ride, Blockhead, Bonobo, Boozoo Bajou, Calimax Mental Implant Corp, Charles Webster, Chocolate Weasel, Death In Vegas, DJ Cam, Funki Porcini, Groove Armada, Headson Groove, Herbert, Jon Hopkins, The KLF, Late Night Alumni, Lemon Jelly, Luke Vibert, Lullatone, Matt Berry, Mop Mop, Morcheeba, Mr Scruff, Nightmares on Wax, Nils Frahm, Nitin Sawhney, The Orb, Peshay, Potatohead People, Quiet Fire, Salmonella Dub, Timewarp, Timewarp Inc, TM Juke, Umbo & Balatz, Vinja, Wagon Christ, Wild Cookie, Yomokomba, Zero 7, stuff like that

Also this
youtube.com/watch?v=G77uuDVpsSo
I wouldn't mindlessly slap 'EDM' on this, it's house music and it's an art. I can listen to it solely for listening pleasure, without dancing.

Man, RA Sessions is such a good series
youtube.com/watch?v=TGdPU0iHgLM

You're confusing dance music with all electronic. Just because it has a beat it doesn't mean it's dance. See Autechre for instance.

Those guys who were one of the main artists during the rave era?

There's literally thousands of new drone and ambient music lp's each year.

Yet another thread shows using the label '''electronic''' is retarded since it covers so many different unrelated genres/styles.

so boring shitty music that nobody cares about. great.

You made a stupid question showing how little you know about music. I didn't ask nor I want your retarded opinion on both genres. If you have the attention spam of a 5 years old, it's not my problem.

>wahhh why don't they produce non dance electronic music?
>wahhh, non dance electronic music is boring

are you retarded my man?

i don't see a question mark on my post. and if you don't want people to respond to you don't make a post on a public forum. this site doesn't belong to you.

Are those really the only options though? dance music and drone/ambient?

What about shit like arca, or nicolas jaar's album pomegranate, for example? how would you classify that?

>i don't see a question mark on my post
>why is all electronic music nowadays dance music?

I'm sorry if you're literally retarded and I was laughing at you, didn't mean to. I would like coherent responses, capable of following simple reasonings, but I guess I'm asking too much.

Anyway, I don't have time to educate you. Bye.

i'm not OP you petty fucking moron lmfao

>Are those really the only options though?

right so, your original post doesn't make a whole lot of sense then, does it?

>electronic genres
Musique concrete
EAI / Onkyo
Turntable / tape music
Electronic rock crossover
Ambient
Downtempo / Chillout
Chillwave / Vaporwave / Internet genres
Techno and many subs
House and many subs
UK Garage and many subs
Trance and many subs
Breaks and many subs
EDM
Drone
Noise
Industrial
EBM
Synthpop

Not him

You forgot hip hop

/thread

and dub

Black Marble are great. Bit of a coldwave influence in them.
youtube.com/watch?v=uIjHKdOe4OI

Yes, it was. Those beats were freaking fantastic for dancing.

>ageism
>>>/tumblr/

no u

carpenter is very relevant and to say otherwise is nothing but pure ageism

>m-muh isms

tough, thats what it is.

>being triggered my -ism terms
>>>/tumblr/