This album is fucking incredible. I'd like to have civilized discussion about it in this thread...

This album is fucking incredible. I'd like to have civilized discussion about it in this thread. I really want to hear why people don't like it. I read pitchfork and watched fantano's review but neither really talked about the music that much, just the legacy of Animal Collective as a band.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bEiVwEGvdC4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bumping. I love it too, though I'm not sure if I can have an objective discussion about it. I don't trust myself with anco opinions anymore. not that it matters, it's all ear candy to me.

better than Centipede Hz in any way

You're right, I do enjoy just about everything they've done. I feel like a lot of valid criticisms were leveled at Centipede Hz, I just haven't really seen any for this record. I think it's super creative and inspired, I just feel lucky every day that these guys continue to do what they do.

Why is Hounds of Bairro so underrated?

This album to me sounds like what it sounds like when you're trying not to sound depressed when you are, which actually comes off as doubly depressing. I watched ODDSAC the other night and was like, "Wow, we're totally not getting this anymore." The sheer level of excitement and surprise that drew me in initially is completely absent from their music now. It just sounds like a chore on their part to me now. It's really disheartening.
I preferred Centipede Hz, because as claustrophobic and disjointed as it sounded, it was still more engaging. Painting With at it's best has better songwriting, but it's completely undermined by about two thirds of the record plus just how rigid the whole album and everything they've done since ODDSAC sounds. Painting With almost has a to Keep From Crying element to it for me.

Have you checked out New Psycho Actives? Or Panda Bear's Swallow at the Hollow mix? They're still experimenting, Painting With just isn't as alienating. They're a huge band, and I think the album has an insane amount of psychedelia for essentially being a festival pleasing electro pop record. Once again though, I'm a huge fan so I'm definitely biased. Your opinion is respectable. I guess I'm the opposite in that I didn't like Centipede Hz because I thought it was trying too hard to be weird and experimental with the production and performances when the songwriting was totally not suited for it.

i love this album, lots of great songs

Sung Tongs is better

up there with mpp and sung tongs

>I'm a huge fan so I'm definitely biased.

Not the guy you repleid to but I could flip that statement around. I've been into AnCO since 2003 and am not biased regarding their more recent stuff. I was disapointed with MPP, CPHZ and PW. I'm not saying these are bad albums, they are all decent pop albums. But for me they are boring AnCo albums since I know how fucking good these guys are and what they are capable of creating. And I'm sure other fans agree with me. Being a fan doesn't necessarily mean that you'll blindly love everything a band puts out.

Yeah, it's pretty much "up" there with MPP but not anywhere near Sung Tongs for me. MPP and Painting With is somewhere below the middle for me.

This album is one of the least memorable albums I've ever listened to literally nothing jumps out at you or stands out

STGSTV > HCTI > Feels > ST = MPP > SJ = Campfire Songs > Hollinndagain > DM > CHz > PW

>Danse and CS that low

They're both good, like 6.5 or 7/10

Campfire Songs is their best, maybe rivaled by HCTI imo

It's a good album, they have just made much better albums

Of course you don't have to like everything they do, and I don't think I "blindly love" Painting With. If you read my other posts, I've explained pretty clearly why I think it's an enjoyable record, and why I don't think Centipede Hz is all that great.

To be fair I've listened to most of their other albums more than CS, so that makes me a bit biased. I do love De Soto De Son though, fantastic song.

Why the sung tongs comparison?
This reflects poorly on you as a listener, not the album as a work of art.

he probably didnt listen to it attentively because its a fucking terrible album

literally the only good song is floridada

This.
It's just good.
Not great.
Not a future classic.
Just decent AnCo.

At least you've got Feels in the top three.

1. Feels - 10/10
2. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - 10/10
3. Here Comes the Indian - 10/10
4. ODDSAC - 9.5/10
5. Merriweather Post Pavilion - 9.5/10
6. Prospect Hummer - 9/10
7. Water Curses - 9/10
8 Fall Be Kind - 9/10
9. Sung Tongs - 9/10
10. Transverse Temporal Gyrus - 9/10
11. Campfire Songs - 8.5/10
12. Strawberry Jam - 8.5/10
13. People - 8/10
14. Hollinndagain - 7.5/10
15. 9:30 - 7/10
16. Danse Manatee - 6.5/10
17. Keep - 6/10
18. Centipede Hz - 5/10
19. Painting With - 4.5/10
20. Monkey Been to Burntown - 3/10

Yeah 2bh I should just put stg = hcti = feels because I think they're all amazing

Nice argument. Want to try making an actual point or..?
There is not point to this shit, go start an Animal Collective ranking thread if you want to mindlessly spout arbitrary scores no one gives a fuck about, this is a goddamn music discussion board.

Is there anything else out there that's comparable to HCTI?

youre like an early 60's beach boys fan who disliked pet sounds

MPP is the pet sounds of our generation and will be held on a pedestal in decades to come

anco threads are boring so any time I see one I post my rankings cuz it usually managed to derail the thread

"no"

whats your guys favorite anco song mine is Slippi

>literally the only good song is floridada
So did you just lose focus after the first song? Because 6 of the 7 tracks that come immediately after it are all better

>whats your guys favorite anco song
Definitely Meet the Light Child or Bat You'll Fly or Panic or Taste or Doggy or Mouth Wooed her. I can't decide.

Their cover of On a Plain by Nirvana is up there though

There's a lot of songs that I absolutely love on this album. Theres several that I can't really get into but it's a good album overall. I really don't see the hate it gets. IMO the best tracks are Floridada, Vertical, Lying in the Grass, Burglars, On Delay, and Golden Gal.

bait

>I don't agree so it's bait
FLoridada is good, but Hocus Pocus, Vertical, the Burglars, Natural Selection, Bagels in Kiev, and On Delay are in my opinion better. And Golden Gal is too

Are you fucking dumb? I'm not deaf it has nothing to do with me the album is just shit

Someone's mad they can't wrap their heads around an incredibly enjoyable album.
Try using your words buddy.

Literally animal collective for kids, sounds like fucking fan boy chum chum music but idc keep liking a shit album faggot, and I only used words you fucking moron

>sounds like fucking fan boy chum chum music
are you trying to defend your opinion or make yourself look even more stupid?

>fan boy chum chum
Oh, you're one of those. Here, have a funny picture.

>This album is fucking incredible.

Stopped reading. Funny to see people have deluded themselves into liking this garbage.

That's what it sounds like it's made for me but keep listening to that shitty album retards

There's really nothing exciting or interesting about it, it's just completely flat and dull start to finish, with a few tracks bordering on offensively bad. It has none of the surprising or sonically enticing elements that were so crucial to Animal Collective at their best. It's a dull pop record, and not a good one at that. Grime's Art Angels was a stronger record.

>Hollinndagain

>Grime's Art Angels was a stronger record.
opinion disregarded

Don't worry OP, it won't be their newest album forever, just wait about five years and then you can finally admit it's bad and stop forcing yourself to like it and desperately try to convince yourself that the new one is good, while Animal Collective's best years keep getting further and further into the past. By then there will be new bands that are as fresh and exciting to their era as Animal Collective were to the 2000's, and you'll discount them and insist that Animal Collective are still at the top of their game, and before you know it you'll know nothing about anything important that's happening in music and clinging to a band that hasn't been good in twenty years.

>this much projection
Yikes, has anyone ever told you taste is subjective? I was just looking for opinions on the music, not for you to come right out and admit your deepest insecurities to us all. This shit isn't a contest, friend, just like what you like.

He's not saying that album is good he's saying this album is so shit it doesn't take much to be better than it

2000's Animal Collective are infinitely better than anything Grimes has ever done and ever will do. But as far as Painting With goes, yeah, sorry, Art Angels is better than a good two thirds of Painting With. Art Angels actually sounds like a very clean, quality pop record in comparison to Painting With, which just sounds plastic and pretend in comparison. I really think Animal Collective have just completely lost touch with where their strengths lie at this point.

What you just said literally translates to "no you." I was trying to show OP the direction he's headed in for refusing to admit that the band he likes is no longer at the top of their game. I'm sad too, but at least I can call a spade a spade.

literally every song you listed is fucking god-tier anco m8, excellent taste. almost identical to my list except I'd probably say Brothersport or Daily Routine are slightly better than Taste and you're missing Winters Love and Visiting Friends

>What you just said literally translates to "no you."
not true btw
Not going to waste my time talking to someone this reductive, or maybe you're just plain retarded and lack any sense of reading comprehension. Either way, have a good one.

>This album to me sounds like what it sounds like when you're trying not to sound depressed when you are, which actually comes off as doubly depressing
Dude they seem really fucking depressed or is that just me? I fucking love anco but they seem so off or standoffish in their interviews...
youtube.com/watch?v=bEiVwEGvdC4

nah, he was more pointing out that you came off as a raging bitter sperg and are seemingly incapable of understanding that taste is subjective

Wait, you haven't even said how I was projecting yet. You probably would have fought tooth and nail to defend Fifteen Big Ones and insist that the beach Boys were still at the top of their game if this were 1976 and say that anyone who thinks they aren't are just projecting somehow because they don't want to admit that the Beach Boys are as good as they were ten years ago for whatever reason.

It's even more true with that Avey Tare interview that happened earlier this year. There are points where he actually seems visibly upset in that interview.

>he thinks the "it isn't possible for them to like what I don't like" argument is valid
PW is far from their best, but it's a good, highly enjoyable album

jesus fuck user how assblasted are you

Just upset is all.

There was this meme going around for a bit that avey was suicidal. Idk but they all seem upset, what's wrong with the AnCo boys?

>meme
I don't think that you're using that word correctly

that's literally what it was and how they were using it