Why is it cool to hate The Smiths? They are such an inoffensive take-it-or-leave-it band. I don't get it

Why is it cool to hate The Smiths? They are such an inoffensive take-it-or-leave-it band. I don't get it

because they suck

Morrissey
Tumblr
Nu Males

Morrissey is super opinionated and a bit of a churl, it's easy to see why he's quite polarizing. I feel like people retroactively judge The Smiths based on his behaviour over the last decade or so.

Who the fuck hates the Smiths

this, people shit on morrissey all the time but I don't think I've ever heard anyone on Sup Forums say they think they are a shit band apart from

tons of people if you go outside

Cause while I enjoy there body of work
Kids that are first discovering them and get insufferable about it is a well Established phenomenon

A lot of people see their music as a whiny "woe is me".

IMO I don't believe that, and also, The Smiths are widely liked.

the smiths suck and morissey sucks even more

Actually, the very specific and clearly opinionated lyrics, Morrisseys standout voice and edgy persona makes me wonder how they even got so popular in the first place.

They're hardly inoffensive though, they could be considered more out there and "punk" than the Sex Pistols were in their time

/thread

i thought The Queen is Dead was meant to be the best goth album of all time but then i found out they dress like fags

But he's not a persona at all which is what should trigger people. He's a challenging bloke to empathize with but that edge becomes very admirable to people. His intent is not so much rebellious but more urgent and proud than most any other punk band. Perhaps you're being ironic in questioning how a strong creative movement could inspire such attention from people.

This.

It's like a light version of what's happened to U2.

Fuck off back to Sup Forums cucksucker

Because Mort is an insufferable gobbler and a whiner, which is reflected in his whiney music. I tried getting into them but I guess I wasn't patrician enough, kek.

lol what, they sound exactly how they look, not goth whatsoever
next thing you're gonna tell me bloody kisses is an indie record

i think because even girls find morissey's voice to be whiney.
I like them though, so fuck those girls.

i never bothered to look at the back cover. i threw up on my blouse when i saw them and fundamentally objected to the conformity everyone was committing.

How could that be /thread when it doesn't answer OP's question?

what are you doing

>The Smiths
>inoffensive

I think you may be retarded. Get yourself checked, user!

I do.
Fuck this shitty faggot band and every little dipshit who can stand them.

shitposting

Moz's voice is an acquired taste for a lot of people

they're offensively inoffensive

Pretty much this

to you maybe, but Suffer Little Children for example caused a bit of a stir

nah i'm familiar with their back history & the context of the songs. what i mean is i think the reason some people have negative reactions to the smiths is in how aggressively morrissey tried to seem drab, uncool, and unsexy. it's an unconventional form of rebellion

oh I see, I get what you mean

I don't know if you know about the controversy of Meat is Murder and The Queen is Dead, also Morrissey's solo has quite a bit of offensive stuff

you mean the whole working class hooligan idolization/bengali on platforms/speaking out against hip hop and similar genres?

as for Meat Is Murder and the Queen is Dead, IIRC his opposition to the Crown was controversial, and he was also less than subtle in voicing his negative relationship with the recording industry

Don't forget the whole racist scandal.

Even Johnny didn't want to name the album TQiD in fear of offending people and wanted to change it to Bigmouth Strikes again.

bump

and the paedophilia scandal around Reel Around the Fountain, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and so on.

Because it's muh feels music for edgy teenage girls who claim to suffer from anxiety and are staunch vegetarians.

My ex, basically.

I don't like their music