Post some albums (or bands in general) that sound like nothing else you know

Post some albums (or bands in general) that sound like nothing else you know.
I'll start with some I guess.
Pic related ofc.

close to the edge blew my mind

great album

of Montreal
Dan Deacon
Melt-Banana
TheGalvinWilhelmMillerQuartet
pretty much any John Zorn project
Battles
Dirty Projectors
Morphine

There's tons of bands that sound exactly like Yes though, even if that album had some top-tier songwriting compared to the average 1972 prog band.

>John Zorn
there are tons of spork-core bands though

You should try some jazz-fusion era Santana.

Album rec?

Nah, I think that guy's point stands more from a compositional perspective than a general timbre one. You yourself said it nobody else in prog wrote music like that like maybe Gentle Giant came close but their technical flair wasn't this grandiose. Future symphonic prog bands like your Symphony Xs and some Dream Theater or w/e never achieved that surreal feel Yes had on that album either.

This tbqh

Dream Theater is too pompous to enjoy tbqh

And yet you still like Yes
Wew laddy

Suicide by Suicide
Lots of bands were influenced by them but nothing actually sounds like them

The records from that period are Caravanserai, Welcome, Borboletta, and the live album Lotus, he also did one with John McLaughlin called Love Devotion Surrender. All of them are worth checking out, although it's obviously not going to be as heavy or noisy as Mars Volta. You can also check out Mahavishnu Orchestra's first two albums for something slightly heavier.

this

The Brave Little Abacus. No emo band has gone as far as they have, they're pretty much the only band I can comfortably call "post-emo".

Niggas on the moon- Death grips

In fact maybe you ought to go for Mahavishnu Orchestra first. Also check out the Trident Sessions which contains material from their unreleased third album.

Correct.
Totally, love tful.
They get a lot of flack for being hipster or whatever, but anco have always done a great job of creating a super unique sound with each album. MPP, CHz, and PW might have put an end to that though. Nah.
Maybe. I would argue that WLWH sounds a lot more unique though.
Maybe, I never got super into Joanna Newsom so I might not be the authority on her sound.
Looks interesting.
This so much, I can't wait until 10 years from now when experimental hip hop is as revered and commonplace as experimental rock has been for the past whenever.

I've heard psychedelic black metal, I've heard black metal that borrows from other genres, I've never heard another band that can switch between disco, trip hop, prog organ solos, easy listening elevator music, and dub reggae while still maintaining a cohesive sound where everything feels like it belongs. I love their other albums too, but Imaginary Sonicscape is definitely one of a kind AFAIC.

Disagree about AnCo & MPP, MPP is like nothing else and is their peak album

Literally every single post-punk-funk band circa 1980 sounds like this

album art is better than the music
some of the best Sup Forumscore in a while
obligatory
dan deacon, man....I loved this guy's music until I saw him live and he tried to get a tripping bonnaroo crowd to do like children's summer camp activities during the music. it was really cringe