One of the best lyricists of all time. Overrated, underrated...

One of the best lyricists of all time. Overrated, underrated? Who and what does /mu think are the best lyrical composers of all time are? Conor Oberst? Woody Guthrie? Neil Young? Patrick Stickles? Kevin Barnes? Whoever. Please share your best list of the best writers of all time.

Townes Van Zandt is my personal favorite. Not to sound arrogant, but I can imagine myself writing a lot of Dylan's lines, I don't know how to even begin to write like Townes.

Bump

2nd game

Great lyrics, but also great music. Blonde on Blonde is an amazing album on all levels.

Dylan always looked like such a smug asshole. My favorite lyricist has to be Leonard Cohen.

Dylan was a smug asshole in the 60s, that's completely true, but he wasn't pretty humbled by the 70s.

uh best lyricists? richard meltzer & uncle luke. shit pleb, it's like you have no record collection...

My record collection is moreso along the lines of elitist hipster trash. Trust me; you'd probably laugh and make fun of me for the music choices I made because of what I keep coming across instead of what I came across in the mainstream.

He's honestly an asshole all around tbt

boring
tried to listen to blonde on blonde and fell asleep 20 minutes in zzzzzzz

all songs sound the same 3 chord highschool tier poetry shit lyrics

i never got the big deal behind this record, I don't know why people go crazy over it. I never liked it. I honestly equate it to that of listening to a wet fart with the smell of a wet cat after sneezing.

I always liked all his stuff up to highway 61. After that; it's downhill.

John Darnielle

The best songwriter of all time is McCartney.

As for lyricist, I think it might just be Dylan. Or Joe Strummer maybe.

I don't like Dylan that much except for Blonde on Blonde. Stuck inside of Mobile is up there in my top 5 favorite songs.

one thing I will give credit for is he seemed to have been really mean to critics and journalists and bespectacled types

He obviously trolled the media before the term was coined. Always coming off all mystical and leaving people mystified with his allegorical talk getting a laugh out of people's stupidity for falling for it. And then he keeps doing it cuz he thinks it's funny.

Dan Bejar is the best lyricist in modern music. Wouldn't be able to say of all time, since there's a lot of music I haven't listened to from the 50's and 60's.

>jew folk singer

No.

Vi Subversa
Dick Lucas
Patti smith
But the best? Hands down Penny Rimbaud

bobby has to be one of my favorites of all time.

Some people always going to critcize him for any reason though since hes on a huge pedistal.

One time i was at a party and my friend said to this girl "do you want to listen to some dylan" and she said " omg yes but not 'just like a woman' thats sexist!"

Almost was about to explain to her that it wasnt but i held my autism in.