Honest question. Not trying to rustle anyone

Honest question. Not trying to rustle anyone.

But why do people like Frank Ocean?

Is it his lyrics or instrumentally monotone background or something else?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4GwDmgUpQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the mysterious aura surrounding him mixed with some amazing original music is what the hype is about

His great vocal performances and catchy hooks. I don't really care for his latest 2 albums, but Channel Orange was great for those reasons and some tracks off of his latest 2 projects were the best things he's ever put out (Rushes To).

>amazingly original music
You need to listen to more music.

I like him better than the Weeknd. Stupid spiderhead, wannabe R&B artist.

i dont use the word amazingly and i listen to plenty of original music. Franks included in that original music

he's a little more artistic than usher so blacks put him up on a pedestal and overrate him as the greatest rnb singer of our generation like they did with d'angelo when he came out

in reality its just good rnb and pop (sometimes, new album sucks)

How can you tell he has aura? Is because he gives off that spiritual vibe?

So it's his voice mainly, then.

I'm not big a fan but I see the appeal. He has a unique and strong voice. His lyrics are usually about sex, love, drugs, and mere wonder of our existence—all of which is very relatable for young people. The music is usually well made and catchy alongside the lyrics. I also think that it has to do with people thinking his music is more artistic and also channel ORANGE was very well received by critics. Also, he's bisexual/gay, and people love those edgy rappers/singers.

he "came out" as gay right before his album came out (during the peak of SJW hysteria). It was all publicity and hes now regarded as an irrelevant FoTM.

>It was all publicity and hes now regarded as an irrelevant FoTM

haha

Yeah for the most part. His lyrics are also pretty great at times, Pink Matter is my favorite example of that. But it's mostly his voice.

D'Angelo and Maxwell were really good though.

This makes the most sense to me.

thats far from the reason why hes big. You must have not listened to him before channel orange. The hype was unreal after nostalgia ultra and him coming out only added to the hype

same reason why I like dean blunt
he creates a vibe thats you can't pinpoint why you like it,. his songwriting is neutral on every topic that doesn't really pick a side

this desu senpai

Would most of you guys agree that part of the reason people like it is because it's sex music similar to Abel Tesfaye?

pretty much this

Yeah, I did.

how much money does this dude have, anyway? are his parents loaded? producing work?

i have no real opinion on the guy but i feel like his popularity is solely based on social media and web publications working each other into a frenzy. like he's sort of artificially built up, or is he a big household name outside of california, n.y. etc? has he had any hits with middle america?

I don't know man I don't really judge music on lyrics or production so much. I mostly judge them on how they make me feel. And I liked this album. I only judge music on more technical things when I don't feel anything while listening then I try to find something good about it in the technical

His first album had huge songs on em

Check me out let me know what y'all think

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4GwDmgUpQ

Dude his album was nominated for Album of the Year. He's not some unknown thing, ask anyone and they've heard of him 100%

>instrumentally monotone background
don't use words if you don't understand what they actually mean

The hype was unreal but the hype was within the rnb/alt-rnb/whateveryouwanttocallit scene. After Channel Orange and him coming out everyone under 25 knew who he was.

You lack sensibility, that's it. You're worse than a pleb.

You probably listened to "Endless" and made up your mind about his works, which is something totally retarded to do by the way. He's much more than that. Take "Blonde" for example, on a surface level it's just a few songs about nostalgia and unrequited love. But once you pay attention the metaphors, the allegories, the sense of cohesiveness that you can get out of it, you realize it's one the greatest album on the concept of hyperrealism.

At this point, Frank is basically the black Sufjan.

t. carl the cuck

gr8 b8 m8ey

Truth

gee its almost as if hip hop/rnb are the most popular genres of music amongst 20 year olds in america

He somehow manages to make everyday things seem profound.
>I thought that I was dreaming when you said you loved me

Feels.

>At this point, Frank is basically the black Sufjan.
Black guy here could you white people stop comparing us to your white friends
Frank ocean is frank ocean
You can't never just leave a compliment as is
you need to always compare us to you to make it fit your ideal reality.
fuck off

I'm not responding further cause I don't want to argue, but it goes both ways.
I do my best to refrain from using color as an identifier all together. That's the only way to really stop tensions.

Dude, he came out before SJW even started to peak. Like pre 2012.