Who are some musicians that actually have good lyrics?

Who are some musicians that actually have good lyrics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=malJUMz2A9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=gO6abj9yRUc
youtube.com/watch?v=Q87e6zNRJ3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aaron Freeman

Jason Molina:

Probably his best, or certainly most celebrated, song:
youtube.com/watch?v=malJUMz2A9Y

Just a deluge of America folklore and history in this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=gO6abj9yRUc

Bill Callahan/Smog has some great lyrics too, but I've seen him mentioned plenty on here.

Why would you listen to music for lyricism?
Musicians are second rate poets and when they employ poets to write the words that accompany their music, those poets must savagely batter their lines into the meter of the music, and further, must write in keeping with the emotional tone and style of the music. As a result, poetry written to accompany music, either by poet or by musician, is necessarily a worsened and inferior thing to poetry pour l'art. To listen to music for lyricism is no better than listening for album covers; those who wish to enjoy the visual arts visit art galleries, they do not peruse in the record store. Neither should she who wishes to enjoy the literary art, she should instead visit the library.

Toni Morrison writes novels. Maybe you meant Maya Angelou?

Death in June

Good meme

Joanna Newsom

David Byrne / Talking Heads

Switching from respectable fonts on the left to the much reviled comic sans and papyrus fonts on the right really helps drive the point of this pic home.

Van Morrison

The Drones aka Gareth Liddiard

youtube.com/watch?v=Q87e6zNRJ3s

rofl. op pretending modern conservatives read, let alone poetry.

>and i got her, nigger
>grocery bag

Van Dyke Parks

>posting something from the most cancerous board

>nationalism

That pic isn't from Sup Forums.

This

>experimentation comes after total mastery of craft and form, not before
too much artists transgress this quintessential rule, which is really sad and laughable.

reading lyrics as poetry is retarded
there are great lyrics that don't work as poems, and great poems that wouldn't work as lyrics
writing lyrics for a song and writing poetry are different arts

I beg to differ. Writing lyrics is a skill not analogous to poetry. A musician writes words that are meant to be heard, a poet writes words that are meant to be read.

There is an inherent melodic quality to good lyrics, it's not merely poetry, and it takes considerable skill to scale down an overwrought poem into something resembling a song that is representative of deeper themes.

Poets usually tend to be edgy as fuck smug faggots who care more about being provocative than useful, hence why they're attracted to the far right and philosophers like Evola and Nietzsche. Even when they're left-wing, they're anarchists instead of Marxists because Marx existed in the real world instead of a spiritual fantasy land like Le Guin does.

Roger Waters

>Marx existed in the real world

This is just something that edgy alt right faggots who have never read Marx say to discredit him. Right or wrong, Marx's work is very well-researched.

I know OP didn't make this but how the fuck is Sylvia Plath a slam poet. You could loosely argue Kendrick is one but Sylvia Plath

Lol, get back to me when you've read some Mises and Hayek, and have seen what well-researched work in economics REALLY looks like...

Will Toledo

but Sylvia Plath?*

David Gilmour on left, Roger Waters on right

>he fell for the libertarian meme

The pic is obviously calling Plath a whiner, while that other female is the slam poet.

it's an ironic meme
it knows it's retarded and thinks that means it's not retarded

lmao, I was going to post this exact meme, thanks. Austrians economics are for people too stupid to do math and too lazy to collect data

Twenty One Pilots

*too many

Jesus fucking christ, its really upsetting how much this meme triggered me.

>nationalism
>good
fuck why am i mad