This is Joanna Newsom's best album

This is Joanna Newsom's best album.

Other urls found in this thread:

ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/44327439.html#ixzz4I2TXqBty
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Agreed. What's your favorite track?

this is a bad opinion

>LE FREAK FOLK WACKADOODLE VOICE
Talk to the hand, cause the ears don't want to hear it.

Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie.
why
Who's your favorite professional studio vocalist?

Tim Buckley.

I used to think so, but it falls into a lot of singer songwriter stereotypes, and she's clearly altering her voice because she doesn't think her songs are interesting enough, which makes them sound less interesting than they are, and the lyrics don't really strike me as that brilliant at all. Ys would probably have to be her best album just by default, because a lot of Have One On Me is kind of annoying and tends to get grating after awhile. I don't know, I guess I've just gotten over Joanna Newsom at this point. Josephine Foster is where it's at.

Peach, Plum, Pear

joanna newsom is for nerds who masturbate to world of warcraft lmao

>she's clearly altering her voice because she doesn't think her songs are interesting enough

Oh ho ho we've got a mind reader over here. It's a creative decision she's made for sure, but it's used to great effect and results in a sound that's all her own. Your assumption of her intentions is silly.

When this was first said it was the funniest shit

>likes tim buckley's voice
>doesnt like joanna newsom's voice

doubts.png

It was actually first said in response to a top fifty album chart of mine around like November, 2015 where I had two Joanna Newsom albums on there and it took off. I actually got that in response a couple of times when the meme was still fresh and pic related was posted in response to me once. Funny thing is I don't even really care for her all that much anymore. I actually posted .
>Oh ho ho we've got a mind reader over here.
I'm just going off of how it sounds to me. I've noticed that when it sounds like the artist knows the songwriting is top notch they don't want to taint it with weird vocals. There are a few exceptions like John Ludington's Clouds Today album which comes to mind right off the bat, but I don't know, it just feels different. I can't like give you facts or anything, that's just what I get from the Milk-Eyed Mender, plus she was pretty young when she did that and I feel like you're more likely to do shit like that on your first album.

Like if you read this in italics

I feel like I'm never going to be able to not see Joanna Newsom song titles in italics ever again.

why italics

im a true fan, seeing her Sept. 9th please just tell me

THREE LITTLE BABES THOUGH LMAO

cassiopeia is a weak song by Joanna standards

kill Yourself

SHE HAD NODES ON HER VOCAL CORDS BEFORE RECORDING HOOM. SHE DIDNT HAVE SURGERY, SHE JUST DIDNT TALK FOR TWO MONTHS, AND HER VOICE CHANGED PERMANENTLY. IT EXTENDED HER RANGE ON BOTH ENDS

www.stereogum.com/1837843/qa-joanna-newsom-on.../interview

Sorry for all caps, but you have to know

>Newsom developed vocal cord nodes in spring 2009, and all that came out when she opened her mouth “was like the hiss on opening a Coke can”. For two months she went around with a notebook, forbidden from singing, speaking or even crying. “In fact crying was the absolutely worst thing I could do to my voice. So I was constantly telling myself, don’t feel, don’t feel, don’t feel.” On recovering, she mourned when she realised that her old voice was never coming back, though she says she must give “full disclosure” and admit that further vocal modifications have been deliberate.

ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/44327439.html#ixzz4I2TXqBty

idk where it says she gained the range, but she notes specifically how many tones she gained

>she's clearly altering her voice because she doesn't think her songs are interesting enough
Tbqh, I don't actually see this as an issue. I mean, musicians alter their instruments all the time - effects pedals or any other tools that cause distortion or what not - to make the music sound more interesting or raw or alien or whatever, so I don't see the issue with taking the same approach with the voice. I don't know understand why it's cool to make a guitar sound fucked but not the timbre of ones voice.

When even Scaruffi disagrees with you, your post-contrarianism has gone too far

Italics just really seem to go with her whole aesthetic.

Come on guys, I like it as much as the next guy, but there's no way it tops Ys or Have One On Me. The songwriting is just leagues better and she ultimately just has a much more developed sound that doesn't ape off of her influences as much.

Agreed. Finally someone says that.
Bridges and Balloons, The Book of Right-On, Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie.