/prod/ - Music Production General

A new general about music production!

Previous thread is here:
Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on

clyp.it/

or any other similar website. GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN
>REMEMBER THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH DAW YOU USE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/results?search_query=pensandos place vocals
clyp.it/3ymiva5o
youtube.com/watch?v=vEKRKZ8W38M
clyp.it/ujkl0gca
clyp.it/uxkmdkh0
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72315244/temp/kek.mp3
clyp.it/op0kalfy
youtube.com/watch?v=EBrvjyr6edA
clyp.it/vfie2vup
clyp.it/5mmq5gsu
clyp.it/vn2ai021
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motif_(music)
clyp.it/ua2golyl
clyp.it/1aq0wxsn?token=951771b7f42c69b080997a85b5196859
clyp.it/ewvsstzc
clyp.it/amylib4f
clyp.it/2wh3xpbi
clyp.it/g1bmadfa
vocaroo.com/i/s02QpUNoRbw7
clyp.it/sky5s5mu
clyp.it/2szzgfbi
youtube.com/watch?v=K9K23uzHjus
ebay.com/itm/Native-Instruments-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-S61-Keyboard-Controller-Regular-888365836065-/262589545723?hash=item3d238e7cfb:g:pf8AAOSwaB5Xu0Mu
clyp.it/ek4qxm04
soundcloud.com/diggy-boo/toxic-factory
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Power bump for good op

how do I make my vocals not sound loud and real?

just started recording vocals with some guitar tracks, I like the tone of my voice but my vocal tracks lack depth especially when paired with some electric guitar. I'm running them through a preamp (Guitarix) and have tried messing with pregain, drive, a few distortions, and some reverb but I just can't get them to have that "oomph" that I want or many professional vocal tracks have. tips?

should say "vocals sound loud and real"

Compressor, side-chain reverb, better mixing?
Or try this channel youtube.com/results?search_query=pensandos place vocals

Shit, my work sounds good with a limiter on master and light soundgoodizer, but when I remove it it get's completely weak and quiet. The problem is that it sounds something like that when I export it and upload to clypit. What can I do now to compensate this? I have always mixed with limiter on because I had no idea what I was doing. I can't just boost the volume, but I don't know what should I do.

waddup first sound submission woo
clyp.it/3ymiva5o
am i overdoing it on the distortion? are the drums too weak? help

Generally try to compress sounds individually and play about with the individual levels until you're happy with the loudness of everything. Sticking a limiter/compressor on the master is not the end of the world as long as you're not overdoing it

where do I find a good quality free sample library? I need a clean sample of a bubble sound but all the "sample sites" I can find have really shitty and noisy samples

use synth desu

How do I make a bass patch like the one in this song?
youtube.com/watch?v=vEKRKZ8W38M

Recommended synths or techniques?

>preamp (Guitarix)
not a preamp bud, what's your recording setup?

if you're using a dynamic mic, look up proximity effect. i'd also try compression with a slowish attack.

Reverb can help with depth, not "oomph" really.

you shouldn't need a limiter unless you're fucking around with noises that might clip or you're mastering mate. Just turn up your monitoring or turn your faders up and make sure you're not clipping anywhere. (look up gain staging)

>bubble sound
idg what you mean but

freesound . o r g
youtube if quality isn't a huge issue.
record your own

any good place I can download a bunch of vst synths for fl studio 12? specifically looking for the ambient techno sound.

ez pz

squarewave with a closing filter

quick attack obviously, play with the decay to make sure it's snappy, one osc an octave below.

vst 4 free

just find a bunch of reverbs to test out- ambience is good

thank you boi

clyp.it/ujkl0gca
>140bpm, dubstep, garage, lean as a jelly bean

Thanks user. Would you recommend Massive or am I good with Zebra2?

Hey dawgs. Here's a song I started working on today. Kinda proggy or something. Let me know if any of the leads are too ear piercing and shit.

clyp.it/uxkmdkh0

I have this part in my track where there's a long open Bb powerchord (guitar) and a bass of course, and a guitar solo, all playing simultaneously. The problem is that when I look at the waveform it hits the ceiling almost all the time when I play this part and it's weird. Am I just, still, not that great at mixing guitar and bass? Or bad at mastering? I don't think the guitar is too loud, do I have too much bass in the bass guitar? I think I already took out some low end from it.

can you post it? Does it sound super loud at that part?

The mix is loud but that part isn't supposed to be, at least when compared to parts where there's drums
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72315244/temp/kek.mp3

I'm not really sure. I think it all sounds good.

My girlfriend says it is the drums making the mix hit the ceiling, but she doesn't know shit about mixing.

clyp.it/op0kalfy
is the weird sound druing the beat change too weird? 53 sec in, and the part like 2:12 to almost the end?

dubspot youtube channel is good too

Not weird at all. It sounds like aliens talking and I like it.

There are some boomy low-mids in the solo guitar that are resonating a little on some notes (there's one at 6 seconds in) and that could be contributing to push the overall energy of the mix towards 0db - rather than cut the low-mid tone with EQ (since it's only some lower-register notes and not all) I'd look at some multi-band compression to tame the peaks instead.

Something like Fabfilter Pro-MB would give you a visual clue about what's happening at the bottom end of that guitar sound.

>clyp.it/uxkmdkh0
the hat is pretty jarring at the first, those leads aren't too jarring but the first[?] lead could use more sustain on the filter i think? be careful, but try playing around with that if that is something??

lmao tell her I appreciate her feedback.
I mean sure it might sound okay, but the guitar and bass seem to take at little too much space when looking at the waveform, where as a similar part in a reference track doesn't; there's more air, but it sounds pretty much just as loud as my track.
Yeah you're right in fact I did try to tame them yesterday with a multi-band compressor but it didn't work out, I blame the plugin. I'll try something.

How much input lag do I have to expect when I connect my electric piano to PC running FL studio, with MIDI to USB adapter? Will it be problematic (oh please god no)?

I used to have a keyboard that I connected to pc via an adapter and I didn't get noticeable latency I think

for something like that it doesn't really matter c:

depends on the interface

My old Steinberg 2in/2out had about 25ms input lag. My new MOTU 16in/14out has about 2ms input lag.

I'd expect yours is in the 20-30ms range

Ok, thx. Does it matter which cable I buy? Actually, there's only one, not many options to choose from, but it's pretty basic and cheap, like, $30.

youtube.com/watch?v=EBrvjyr6edA

how to make drums like this? what are the sounds even

Ok, so I just started on this trap beat and I have some drums and a bassline going. What kind of instrument should I use for the melody?

clyp.it/vfie2vup

I'm using FL Studio, by the way.

Any synth really. Or your bunghole.
I will never understand the appeal of those fast 808 close hats but then again this isn't my genre at all.

sounds like throwing shit on table

just add some dissonant melody from trap808synth vst preset to ur meme song ;)))

This, just bang some shit on your table etc and record it, and do some stuff with it. Pitch shift, add reverb...

Thanks for using my dad's album as the OP sometimes.
It gives me joy.

Hey Lunga Jr.

Hows it going?

All's good.
If anyone here lives in or near Pretoria and has some way to digitize vinyl albums, we could get a digital copy of Give Us Two More Beers for Sup Forums

what does your dad think about Sup Forums?
is he still making music?

also, there already is a digital version
clyp.it/5mmq5gsu

He's unaware of Sup Forums, as any dad should be. I've told him that some people online use his old studio picture to identify music production discussion for some reason, and he seemed happy about it. He still plays music with his friends sometimes, and he's the drummer of a local church, the lot of funky music playing kind of church.

The rest of the album is good music, so my offer still stands if anyone is interested.

CHORDBOT
H
O
R
D
B
O
T

Anyone here know about mic repair?

The studio I work at has a broken Neumann 193 and I'm trying to see what the problem is. It gives out no signal at all (other than the pop from turning on phantom power). The capsule is pretty dirty, would that cause it to give out no signal at all or would that be more of a cutting in-and-out kind of problem?

should i choose a key first before writing a song and how many notes is a good amount to use? im going to be using samples and midi

>clyp.it/ujkl0gca

you had something going up until 0:55, then it got a little bizarre

clyp.it/vn2ai021

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motif_(music)

use C major, no more than 5 notes.

Excited for Danny Browns new album so I made this. It's almost done but I wanna see what you guys think about it.

clyp.it/ua2golyl

lol no u

use only dominants and unisons ;))))

Holy shit that's awesome

can cordbot do mono midi out? i've seen some programs that arpeggio chords really fast so they can play on mono midi.

Depends on how fast. You might need two mono midis, just to make sure every note gets through.

Is an i5 and 8gb ddr3-1600 ram good enough for very basic recording?

I usually record to 4track and send it either stereo or mono to pc, but my pentium single core/4gb ram can barely handle that.

What I plan on doing is recording clean sounds on 4track with a click-track to stay in time for tracks 1/2 then using the effects loops for tracks 3/4, then re-recording all 4 into computer using tape-out and an interface. Then redoing that for each instrument part. I won't be using vsts of any sort since I'm more familiar with hardware.

Will i5 4590 be good? Or should I get an i7? Thanks

It'll be plenty good. I hate carping on about older systems but recording stereo PCM audio to disk is not a CPU intensive task and a single core Pentium system with the right software could do it with little effort - Windows 3.1 managed it with 386 CPUs and 256MB of RAM.

The issue is modern OSes and applications, so you need more grunt, but yeah an i5 and 16GB of RAM is well good enough for what you need.

..and thinking about it now Win 3.1 would have been rarely seeing 256MB, more like 16.

clyp.it/1aq0wxsn?token=951771b7f42c69b080997a85b5196859

Just made this beat for my friend to rap over. Any feedback is appreciated.

Is this woke to anyone else or am i just auschwitz deranger?

clyp.it/ewvsstzc

>i5 and 8GB of RAM is well good enough*

Fuck sake, I need to remember the question - yeah 8GB will be fine too

I like coming into these threads to see the garbage that people make it makes me feel a lot better about my own stuff

post your stuff tho

here

clyp.it/amylib4f

ok, cool, thanks.

I'm not sure what PCM audio is, but what I'm hoping to do is take the 4 audio tracks (clean sound, click, and 2 effects (if needed) then using the 4 separate tape-outs (I have my 424 modded for pre-eq tape-outs) into an audio interface that allows recording to 4 separate tracks on daw.

then repeating as necessary. this way with the click track, audio doesnt go out of time from it, and i can just move the parts where they go into the mix.

if that makes sense? i have a fire-wire mixer that can do 4 simultaneous recordings, but my pentium/4gb cant handle that, or anything from firewire for that matter so I right now record with a microphone and set it up nearby the monitors I use with the tascam 424.

also i can change the tape-outputs to post eq if i wanted, but tascam 424 really has weak eq so I use 4 (one for each track) 30-band rackmount units i got at garage sales.

so when i record to computer i'll feed them into that because i know which shapes each eq field will change the sound to.

if that makes sense, i think of music recordings as a moving painting and eq will change the direction/size/position of the shape when it plays through audio.

so Bsus2 chord is light pink and a ball shape, increase bass eq will make it "sink" and also grow wider, but middle will keep it but it will stretch vertical.

It's a good way to do it - you're using the click as DIY timecode.

You could (alternatively but you don't really need it) buy an old smpte sync box and use one track of your 4-track as a sync track - the smpte box would sync your computer with the tape machine.

PCM is just an encoding method for digital audio - wav and aiff use it.

I need help on how to progress with a song. I always end up getting stuck in a loop and can never proceed to finish a song. Here's something I would really like to finish but as I said I'm lost.

I'm trying to go for a dofflin style of future bass

clyp.it/2wh3xpbi

>tfw incredibly self conscious of my less-than-professional mixes
>feels like every single project is mixed worse than the last
I hate this hobby almost as much as I love it

recording revolution
/r/audioengineering
reference tracks

so on

Should I buy Fl Studio? I'm at uni and can't pirate

Im currently making an instrumental hip hop album

Give me some feedback on this track
clyp.it/g1bmadfa

I put the anal in analogue

sahaha bravo prod bravo

where to pirate plugins?

Rutracker.org. It's in Russian so use google chrome to translate it and register an account. It's your best option other than a private tracker like Audionews or what.cd.

Been making spaghetti Western music lately
vocaroo.com/i/s02QpUNoRbw7

ty

bump

sounds nice, a little too much reverb for my taste, and i'd prefer different drum samples desu, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.

at 14 i'd switch patches and have some huge chords come in...

i tend to follow chord progressions more than melodies though, but i do think you could benefit from introducing some tension or a key change or something to keep the song progressing you know

doesn't really go anywhere... doesn't sound bad or anything but i got bored desu

i like it but the kick is too loud
(also maybe make things a bit more clear)

i feel like too much distortion/verb is kind of an amateur thing to hide that the song isn't that great- you don't need it

i'm assuming you're new- i think you need some work on the drums.... fuck with velocity and reverb some more. just try making things sound more organic and spontaneous- it sounds a little boring.

i'd like a little more variation in the beat- it would definitely sound cool with rapping over it though

your synth patches need work... really cool percussion though- i actually really like it.

solid production... there's nothing there to keep me hooked though

I've been working on this one for a while and I can't seem to decide if this is any good or not. What do you guys think?

clyp.it/sky5s5mu

Can i create music like bonobo and emancipator completely inside the box? Every time i try it sounds sterile, even with top notch vsts

>clyp.it/g1bmadfa
I would like the kick to be more throby, but I dig it user. What to you use to get the lo fi effects?

entertaining myself here lol
excuse the mix, my ears are fatigued

clyp.it/2szzgfbi
youtube.com/watch?v=K9K23uzHjus

compare

Bump

Why would you need an account on Rutracker?

What do you guys think about the price of this Komplete Kontrol?

ebay.com/itm/Native-Instruments-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-S61-Keyboard-Controller-Regular-888365836065-/262589545723?hash=item3d238e7cfb:g:pf8AAOSwaB5Xu0Mu

A music related item costs 1600$ new. It's on eBay, with a buy-it-now price of 950$. The current highest bid is 300$.

There's a reserve price that hasn't been met. What would you guys guess the reserve is?

good vibe up until you introduce the basically initialized saw. sub is too heavy, too static, make it more interesting. more chord variation

lately Ive been playing with guitar loops a lot. A friend of mine wanted a synthy guitartrack for a half dramatic scene in a short film which I havent seen, but I did this ordinary chord progression I figured I might send him.
What do you think?
clyp.it/ek4qxm04

to use the search

haven't used fruity loops in ages and i wasn't very good last time i did but i decided to come back to it after some inspiration from a vidya soundtrack

any tips are really appreciated - trying to get back into the swing of things and learn this program better

soundcloud.com/diggy-boo/toxic-factory

i already got some things in mind - the castanets coulda been handled better and the louder bits were probably unnecessary

any thoughts?

and yes i know the art is high quality - 30 secs in mspaint bb

>Pensado's Place
Am i the only one who cannot stand this guy? To be honest i think he's a hack with a good manager.

Try parallel compression. This is a general tip for everything that needs "oomph"

I search and download everything normally without the account.

i get a login screen if i try to use the search without logging in