I don't get it, is Sup Forums really as underage as they say now...

I don't get it, is Sup Forums really as underage as they say now, or are you guys just ironically claiming to like shit like grimes? She's mainstream radio trite, what is the appeal?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/28/grimes-visions-montreal
youtube.com/watch?v=gIkurD710ZE
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/28/grimes-visions-montreal
>What's the difference between Napoleon and everyone else? Napoleon had great image branding. When people think of Napoleon they're not thinking of the Egyptian campaign or whatever, they're thinking of his fucking hat and his fucking hand in his waistcoat.
but music is also goog

good*

>hates trite radio shit

>posts constantly about dadrock

i think grimes general just has a sick mustache fetish or they want to fuck shrek idk
i don't think they actually listen to her shitty presets chipmunk music, or maybe they're pleb enough to who knows

Well, what is her image then? I just see another generic "indie pop" artist that think they're different by doing the same shit as everyone else. Even that aside, her persona is just fucking terrible, pretentious and unwarranted in so because of how unoriginal she is.

Why do you kids claim to hate "dadrock" so much? It makes no sense. "dadrock" like zeppelin was basically grimes of its time, they were both unoriginal and claimed to fight the "man" or whatever but were still chart topping and massive corporate shills nonetheless.

qurcky cute weird girl
>her persona is just fucking terrible, pretentious and unwarranted in so because of how unoriginal she is
nah, I believe she's sincerely weird

To be underage again, and to legitimately, unironically 100% be serious when saying shit like this.

the waifutard meme is real

just watch her old videos of her before being popular if you dare, you'll realize that she's actually a crazy junky

Link me some, underage friend.

youtube.com/watch?v=gIkurD710ZE
>underage friend
What makes you think so? I didn't even say that I like her.

ive seen this video, this isn't "quirky", this is just insanely pretentious. you really think she's not thinking to herself "haha im so different lmao" while doing this?

I call you an underage because only underages are naive/retarded enough to think in such a manner.

>you really think she's not thinking to herself "haha im so different lmao" while doing this?
I think she's just to high to think about it, this live was too shitty to not be done by high person, I mean just look at her
>I call you an underage because only underages are naive/retarded enough to think in such a manner.
call me whatever you want, you're wrong at this point

are you retarded?

obviously grimes isn't an avant-garde, academic act, but her stuff is not as derivative and generic as you're claiming it is. she is not topping any charts, in fact commercially she's not doing that well at all. you must've pulled that out of your ass.
massive corporate shill? isn't she signed to an independent label? she even writes and produces her own stuff all by herself.

the public that listens to rihanna, katy perry and top 40 hits only will be very weirded out by the vast majority of grimes' songs.

I dunno, grimes kind of marked the death of the 2000s indie phase. The rise of her popularity basically meant that the movement was dead and was now corporate schmuck only inhibited by people that were late but wanted to be a part of the image. Lmao, we're indie and quirky xD we're AUTHENTICALLY weird lmfao xD

I look at that video and see a pretentious retard making shit music, with 0 artistic integrity behind it. It's sad. It's basically a parody of what indie should be

there is such a thing as "Authentic weirdness", and it's called mental illness. and if you have to announce you have it, you're a pathetic loser. it's much more subtle than this garbage.

again, my chemical romance and nirvana syndrome: a bunch of people telling themselves they're fighting da man and are special or something when in fact they are the establishment

all other teens are thinking like you too- katy perry and rihanna and in the past, grimes is mainstream in disguise

shes signed to the mainstream "indie" labels like 4AD, they are just as successful and popular as major labels. so that not topping any charts things is fucking hilarious, how many plays on youtube/spotify? how often is she on the trending page for spotify? she has millions of views on yt alone, with a consistent 10 mil+ on most.

We don't claim to like her, we just like her. You're just an underage piece of shit who didn't get the memo that says music is subjective. If it's shit for you it doesn't mean it's objectively shit. You are however objectively shit. Fuck you.

>We don't claim to like her, we just like her
What did he mean by this?

>pleb detected
How does it feel to be such a big clueless pleb?

Music quality is objective, but reasons for liking stuff is subjective, though not a wide degree. Generally it's for the image, and grimes certainly has the image of being "quirky", when she most certainly isn't. It's very depressing when the pleasant illusions of this kind of thing being possible are shattered

>implying that being on drugs you're mentally ill, and can't be sincerely weird
I didn't say that she's never been pretentious, I actually believe that she's pretentious for her image, since I'm the person who made the first reply, but man, have you ever been high or drunk?
That's a known fact that she was junky, she maybe even is now.

You must be retarded. How the fuck some boring rock music like LZ is even remotely close to the innovative and unique music of Grimes? Grow up dumbfuck.

honestly it seems to me you're just projecting. you must feel really special about the music you listen to. do you think you're the ACTUAL weirdo for listening to some obscure harsh noise act from cambodia? is this a "who is weirder?" contest?
i'm pretty sure most people that listen to grimes do it because they enjoy their music, not because they think they are fighting the status quo.

>grimes certainly has the image of being "quirky", when she most certainly isn't.
oh here comes the judge of quirkiness and weirdness.

are swans being genuinely weird when they make ridiculously long songs? what about frank zappa, was he actually quirky? nico, with her creepy funeral songs? what does one have to do to be "actually weird" to you?

>Music quality is objective
Since when? Prove it's that way.

What a load of bullshit nonsense. Stop posting, you're embarrassing.

Are you implying Grimes is either innovative in any sense of the word? Are you also unironically implying she is unique? She's depressingly generic, a last dying breath of "rebellion" against being "normal", and the fact that even that is so normal is the saddest thing of all.

I see, you seem to think music is in fact a contest, to see how quirky and weird you are. I like what I like. I certainly don't consider myself weird, I'm socially adjusted.

See, the whole "I just like it lmao" thing is false, because she makes shit music that is only liked for the image. Kind of like how PBR was shit tasting but people only drank it for its image. People are weird in that sense alone, they'll be dishonest to themselves if it helps to associate them socially with something they deem desirable.

Nico is the only "weird" artist of those, because her music was objectively good while also creative. Zappa and swans spork-core with no artistic merit behind them.

She is so hot in this picture fml I hate professional makeup

unfortunately people here on mu go through mental and (il)logical hoops to claim that they like something, so no, people probably don't like grimes for the music

are you autistic, or just schizophrenic? take your meds, bro.

>grimes is mainstream in disguise
What did you smoke, dummy? She's not mainstream. You're comparing artists that sell out arenas, with billions of YT views with a weirdo indie musician that barely sold 11k copies of her new album in the first week?

>shes signed to the mainstream "indie" labels like 4AD
And what's your problem? That's a quality label that gives her artistic freedom.

I can understand that when it's bullshit like Merzbow. However grimes makes synthpop/dream pop. It's really not hard to like her stuff if you're into that.

>so no, people probably don't like grimes for the music
You basically claim that people that listen to Grimes, listen to her not for her music. Then for what, nitwit? They're listening to her image?

You're a retard.

Are you really this young enough to think if something's "indie' it's automatically uncorporate? You really think a label as large as 4AD doesn't have just as many suits behind it, managing it just like any larger label? Not to mention that something doesn't have to be "indie" to be creative. People love to rebel against nothing in particular, when in fact it's usually just more of the same.

She has 40 mill on her biggest vid, most of her others have 15 mil+ and up. Easily combines to a 100 mill. That's on YT alone. She's one of the largest spotify artist, she even has one of those "most listened to" staples on her spotify profile.
that's just being flat out delusional friendo.

That's right. Her music is enjoyable from the start. If you like music with good melodies, there's nothing that could prevent you to enjoy her music.

>listening for the image

Absolutely. Kids do it all the time. If you think calling me a retard somehow devalues what I say, under the delusion that I just must be stupid, then keep doing so.

Samefag, but it's the height of pretentiousness to listen to shit for the image then claim you're just being authentic in doing so. it's sad, please stop.

>Are you really this young enough to think if something's "indie' it's automatically uncorporate? You really think a label as large as 4AD doesn't have just as many suits behind it, managing it just like any larger label? Not to mention that something doesn't have to be "indie" to be creative. People love to rebel against nothing in particular, when in fact it's usually just more of the same.
They have, but they also let her to do her thing. That's the big difference.

>She has 40 mill on her biggest vid, most of her others have 15 mil+ and up. Easily combines to a 100 mill. That's on YT alone. She's one of the largest spotify artist, she even has one of those "most listened to" staples on her spotify profile.
That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Only Taylor Swift's video for Blank Space has 1,721,606,915 views. Compare that with Grimes videos.

You have a big problem with her. Just let it go.

>listening for the image
This is absolutely ridiculous. If you do that don't imply everyone is doing it.

Your entire argument is that Grimes' music isn't "actually" weird and I'm the one thinking this is a contest? YOU are making this a weirdness contest. Not only that, you are associating weirdness and experimentation with quality, and you made that obvious with your last statement about Nico. That shows how pathetic your mindset is.
You're worse than all the "not actually weird" kids you're complaining about.

nobody likes grimes
every grimes general is 15-20 autist posting the same waifu pics over and over until it hits max
shes a nobody here.

Here's a test for you, OP. Listen to this song youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894 and tell me what other songs like this do you know.

I honestly fail to find the appeal of her music. It sounds like second rate IDM throwaway tracks that Aphex Twin scrapped topped with horrible vocals.

>implying there are just 15-20 overall
>implying there are the same people all the time
>implying that would be enough to sustain non stop daily threads
>implying it's a waifu thread (the latest one has 235 posts and only 34 pics)
>implying you're not an envious moron
>implying you don't suck ass

It sounds NOTHING like IDM or Aphex Twin. Either you've never listened to IDM or you've never listened to Grimes.

considering half the post in these threads are ppl saying grimes suck
its a dead general. worse than kpop

Sounds more like a shitty version of The Knife to me

You fail to see that because your IQ is too low. Also you didn't listen enough.

I read the whole thread and I barely see "ppl saying grimes suck". You're just talking out of your ass and hope no one will get your tomfoolery.

Here's the thread: Show me those posts.

Fyi an artist being successful in new/emerging media circles doesn't automatically make them "mainstream" successful - just forward-thinking.

Also, record labels having been around long enough to develop respected reputations for themselves doesn't make them massively evil corporate giants - just likely harbingers of good taste.

you're proof that the grimes threads suck. you're on here defending her instead of staying in your general

>tying to explain logical things to that tinfoil hat wearing NEET

Grimes haters BTFO again

I'm here because I like to annoy cunts like you. I like to beat you with your own weapons, to see how stupid are all your claims. You said a lot of shit ITT, but you proved nada.

>instead of staying in your general
With this fascist attitude it's no wonder you're an embarrassment.

it's shit, deal with it.

*tips fedora*

>I'm here because I like to annoy cunts like you.
ah finally we get to the truth. you guys just use grimes image to annoy people.
fake ass fans like I expected

I guarantee you some of your favorite artists have been mainstream , somewhere, at some point. kill yourself

OP is just a troll.

No surprises.

Most likely. But sometimes I like to give other people the benefit of the doubt just in case (plus, seeing trolls attempting to avoid having actual conversations with actual posters can be quite hilarious.)

Yes, it could be hilarious. The trolls are afraid to be involved in an actual discussion. They know they're gonna lose.

that feel when you haven't told Sup Forums how much you love Grimes today yet