The author of an upcoming unauthorized biography of Lou Reed, Notes From The Velvet Underground...

>The author of an upcoming unauthorized biography of Lou Reed, Notes From The Velvet Underground, says that the legendary musician was “a monster” who abused women and casually used racial slurs. According to the Daily Beast, author Howard Sounes interviewed “more than 140 of his school friends, bandmates, girlfriends, and family members” while researching for the book, and came to an ugly conclusion.

>“I loved his music, but you have to go where the story goes,” Sounes explained to The Daily Beast. “The obituaries were a bit too kind, he was really a very unpleasant man. A monster really; I think truly the word monster is applicable.”

>Sounes quotes Reed as having said racists statements about fellow musicians, saying “I don’t like ni**ers like Donna Summer,” and describing Bob Dylan as a “pretentious kike.”

>He goes on to say that it’s “quite clear that he was a misogynist and he did hit women.” His first wife, Bettye Kronstad, reportedly said, “He would, like, pin you up against a wall. Tussle you. Hit you… shake you… And then one time he actually gave me a black eye.”

ITT: based musicians

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IeMIWCxHgQk
youtube.com/watch?v=WyEn9LIR9cI
youtube.com/watch?v=OA8N0xy3hjE
warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=spook
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>call someone a kike one time
>hurr they're a fucking monster

I knew he was a monster when he unleashed Lulu on the world

Wasn't Lou a Jew anyway?

Who cares if someone hits women that's not a reason to hate someone

>describing Bob Dylan as a “pretentious kike.”

The real world doesn't work like Sup Forums m8

I'm pretty sure Lou Reed was a jew (Reed) so he's allowed to use it

It's like if Sup Forums was about music.

he was a shit musician t b h. batted a 200 at best

He is

I mean look at that fucking Jewfro

he is mash potato

>Lou was openly racist
>Nico attacked a black woman
>Moe Tucker is a Tea Party supporters
Were the Velvet Underground secretly an alt-right band?

And?

he ducc :)

>Moe Tucker is a Tea Party supporters
woah I didn't know that, kek

No wonder their creations were devoid of anything redeemable

Wew lad

And here I thought heroin addicts were all perfect saints who would never treat anyone bad.

>It's OK for Lou Reed to be a wife beating racist
>but not John lennon
Nice double standard Scruffydrones

her facebook is pretty scary

But Lou was doing it sarcastically

And their only good albums were produced by a black man

Really makes you think

simply epic, I really love the edge you present and offer to this thread.

Oh did Tom Wilson produce Squeeze?

wtf i hate loo read now

It's stupid how people put celebrities on a pedestool and act like they can't ever do anything wrong. If people actually knew some of the horrible things their favorite musicians have done (especially while drunk or on drugs) they would have to burn all their albums because their idols aren't perfect.

>pedestool

>"a pretentious kike"
wtf wasn't he jewish as well?

I'm pretty sure he must have been taking the piss with that one.
I'm sure Lou had enough self-awarenss to know that that could apply to him more than most

Lou Reed wasn't a monster, he was just an asshole. Serial killers are monsters, not Lou fucking Reed.

I somehow can't imagine Laurie Anderson marrying someone who is as big of an arsehole as Lou's supposed to have been

Most serial killers are good people who just made a few bad decisions, user.

>kek

>Lou was not able to function at that time. He was depressed, anxious, and socially unresponsive. If people came into our home, he hid in his room. He might sit with us, but he looked dead eyed, non-communicative. I remember one evening when all of us were sitting in our den, watching television together. Out of nowhere Lou began laughing maniacally. We all sat frozen in place. My parents did nothing, said nothing, and ignored it as if it was not taking place.

Was he one of us?

Don't be so hard on serial killer, most of them are nice people who just have a misunderstood hobby.

Are they gonna talk about the time he did a gay voice?

>"Yeah, when Lou became interested in metal he turned to the only metal band he knew of: Metallica. He was so out of touch that his thoughts were seriously along the lines of "The Black album is pretty great, isn't it?", and not "It's STLL pretty great, isn't it?". I mean, it came out in 1991, y'know? That might as well've been yesterday as far as the old geezer was concerned. We tried to get him into some more recent (i.e. relevant, we'll use the term loosely) metal, but the hardheaded fucker wasn't having any of it. He said Sunn O))) ate dog shit. We played him some black metal and he just sat on his leather sofa and laughed. He kept saying shit like "But (Metallica's) One is so much better that this is." Just stupid shit like that the entire time we were working with him. After a while we were like fine Lou, whatever Go make an album with one of the most irrelevant metal bands in the world, we don't give a fuck anymore. And that's what he did. It didn't have to be that way though, Lou made the choice willingly. We really did try lead him to greener pastures, so I refuse to take any blame for Lulu."

"So you guys were vocal about Lou working with Metallica being a creative mistake?"
>"We were, yeah. We told him the way their fans had reacted to the changes they made to their music through the 90's. That they had essentially stopped being a metal band, and had moved into hard rock territory. We showed him more modern grindcore, death metal, all sorts of metal music. He was just fixated on Metallica for some reason, and didn't want to hear any of that shit. He'd be looking at pictures of James Hetfield online and saying how "cool he looked" under his breath and stuff. They were old ass pictures too, from like the late eighties. Part of me felt bad for him so I didn't push it too much at the time, y'know? I mean, we were too busy with other stuff at the time to really worry about it. I still remember when we got the news that he was actually recording the album with (Metallica) and I was just like "That fucking asshole. Unbelievable. Well, what's it gonna be called?" And they were like "Lulu" and I just rolled my eyes, man. I knew right then and there what that ancient fossil had gone and done."

"I take it you're not a big Metallica fan then?"
>"It wasn't ever about that. I personally really like Metallica, but they're a totally wrong fit for what Lou does. And I told him as much at the time. He could have exposed some great underground metal band with the celebrity status he holds. I mean, Metallica definitely doesn't need any more exposure, in my opinion. It could've been mutually beneficial, you know? Instead Lou would walk around doing the "Sad But True" riff with his mouth like Beavis and Butthead and we got "I am the table". Man, I remember one day when he tried out a flying V with EMGs (because he read that's what Kirk Hammett used) and he was like "It's too much distortion, man!" and I was like "No shit, that's the whole point!" and he was like "No way, turn it down! Too loud!". I remember thinking "Dude, I'm trying to tell you this is a bad idea." Then he pulled out one of those expensive as fuck Moog guitars and sustained a single chord for like two hours while he twisted the knobs on a delay pedal. Whenever someone would try to say something to him he'd be like "What?!?" really loud like he couldn't hear them. I could hear them from across the studio, so I know he could hear them clearly. That's the kind of asshole he was though. He'd do shit sometimes just to show everyone who was in charge."

"Oh, wow (laughs). Was Lou big on power trips?"
>"I wouldn't call them power trips per se. It was always more along the lines of pitching a fit and acting like a stupid asshole until everyone started doing what he wanted them to. I remember once our engineer came in really upset about his dog. Earlier that morning the vet told him they might have to put him down, and he came in to work really beside himself. I'll be the first one to tell you his mind was obviously not on recording. Anyway, we went to lunch and he was telling Lou what the vet said, and Lou looked him square in the eye and said "Fuck your dog, you're recording a Lou Reed album." and Mike just went apeshit. Or as apeshit as I've ever seen Mike go anyway. He was pushing Lou and yelling "Fuck you, you motherfucker!" over and over again and he was crying at that point too. You could tell Lou was letting Mike push him around because the whole time he had this half smile on his face. He knew what he was doing. Mike went home and somebody else took over that day. You couldn't really get mad at Lou for stuff like that because that was just the way he was."

Sun O))) does actually eat dog shit

We're talking about a dude who was in a rock band that incorporated drone in 1967, he would not have been impressed by some shitty metal ripoff

"Man, that sounds really harsh."
>"Yeah, it probably does (laughs). I guess you'd have to know Lou and be there while he's doing something like that to understand. I guarantee if you told that story to his family or anyone who's ever worked with him they'd be like "Yep, that sounds like Lou alright."
"Ok, lets shift gears back to Lulu. So Lou never entertained any other metal bands to collaborate with other than Metallica?"
>"Not as far as we can tell, no. We did our best though. When we were telling him about Judas Priest and Rob Halford he was like "Gay is so passé, David (Bowie) doesn't even do that anymore." I mean, how do you even respond to something like that? When we played him Russian Circles he kept dismissively asking what tuning they were in. We played Sleep and he started making jokes about how they called themselves "Sleep" because that's what their music makes you want to do. We played him Earth and he said "You really want to know what I think about this?" and literally stuck his ass in the air and farted. So we just gave up and let him fuck himself up."

"Sounds like Lulu was unavoidable in your estimation."
>I guess so, yeah (laughs). I can't say why Metallica thought it was a good idea either though. Metallica's been big business since the early 90's. We're talking about the Home Depot or Target of heavy rock/metal. Why in 2009/2010 did they decide to suddenly start going after the hipster demographic, you know(laughs)? It's soooo weird."
"I do know Lou pulled every string he could pull to get in on the gig where he initially met Metallica. From what I understand after the gig he rushed to get on the elevator they were in so he could ask them to do a record with him. I think he just kept on calling them until they finally said yes(laughs). I saw Lou do the same thing with the Chinese restaurant down the block. He'd just keep on calling, asking for free food, and telling them he was "Lou Fucking Reed" until one day they actually sent free food! Oh yeah, then he refused to tip the delivery guy, I almost forgot about that(laughs)! He kept on saying "Naa, fuck all that noise Chairman Mao should go get a real job if he wants to get paid" when we were talking about everybody pitching in for the tip. And the poor delivery guy was just standing at the door with these big doe eyes, man! Jesus, I could tell you some really crazy Lou stories, man. Like one time I watched him blow a big ass green snot rocket into a sleeping homeless man's mouth before he went to get on the subway. For no reason either, just because he could."

It seems like it, but the book could be bullshit.

>I still remember when we got the news that he was actually recording the album with (Metallica) and I was just like "That fucking asshole. Unbelievable. Well, what's it gonna be called?" And they were like "Lulu" and I just rolled my eyes, man. I knew right then and there what that ancient fossil had gone and done.
Haha, this is hilarious. You gotta some Lou.

>and casually used racial slurs

Well yeah; he lived in NYC in the late-60's and 70's, during the crime explosion.

You would have used them too after the third or fourth time you got mugged.

Literally every one of those situations is from the 60's or 70's when Lou was alternating between heroin and amphetamines all day.

youtube.com/watch?v=IeMIWCxHgQk

I absolutely 100% believe that it's all true but he was a fucking drug addict zonked out of his mind just being a asshole for the sake of getting a reaction. Bowie, the Stones and literally every other rockstar of that era was as bad or worse. Post proof of him doing or saying anything negative to anyone after he got sober in the 80's.

"Ok, that's just disgusting."
>"Yeah. No, I know. The homeless guy didn't even wake up either. He just made sort of a snorting sound and swallowed that shit."
>"Ok, I don't wan to hear about that anymore. Have you ever spoken to Lou specifically about Lulu?"
>"Yeah, once. We were setting up his gear in his practice space and I asked how he thought it turned out. I remember he said Lars was the worst drummer he'd ever been in a room with. Everyone had a good laugh over that. At that point he was pretty sick, man. He seemed sort of amused at the critical reaction it got. The last thing I remember him saying about it was something along the lines of "Who gives a shit? I just got a new liver, it's not like it'll be my last album or anything."

Lulu is literally just Swans-like post-rock with a theatrical/poetic flair, except it came out before the neo-Swans trilogy.

People just don't like it because "hurr Metallica therefore bad". If he had used some unknown backing band people would call it a masterpiece.

I think the whole "beating women" thing is what qualifies him as a monster, rather than just a racist dirtbag

I really hope twitter doesn't steal this meme

I would disagree. When you listen to Lulu, it's apparent that the music was composed primarily by Metallica and not Reed.

>Sup Forums gives Lennon shit for being a wifebeater
>doesn't give a rats ass about Reed doing the same shit

reddit will in a while

That's at least partially because Lou was openly an arsehole while Lennon thought a lot of himself while he was beating his missus.

Because John Lennon was a peace-love hippie fuck and Lou Reed was pretty obviously an edgelord

But that's wrong, Lennon is only considered to be some flower-power symbol by the fans that mythologized him after his death. The real Lennon was really just as cynical and edgy and pretentious as Reed but that doesn't fit his image as a Beatle

If Lulu is so bad why did David Bowie praise it and say that it'll be acknowledged as a classic in the future just like Berlin?

Because it's well documented that Lennon is a wifebeater, the only time I've ever seen it said is with this book, which seems like it could be a hatchet job to earn a quick buck from a dead man.

Combine that with the fact that everyone knows Reed was a prick while Lennon was a beacon of hope.

>sleep
Does he mean the stoner metal band sleep or a different band called sleep?

>>sshluup sshluup
>>smack smack

>Lennon tried to put good into the world
>Lou didn't
Pretty cut and dry why some deserve respect and others don't

>If Bowie likes it it must be good
Bowie was also a prick.

>Bowie was also a prick
Name me 37 examples

He had a fucked up childhood, his parents made him go through electroshock therapy because he was depressed, it fucked him up pretty bad for a while.

Can you give us 37 examples of Reed being a prick?

yep

> “I don’t like ni**ers like Donna Summer,” and describing Bob Dylan as a “pretentious kike.”

fucking kek

Nico I knew about, but I had no idea Reed was so fucking cool

I don't give a rat's ass about either 2bh

wtf I love lou reed now

>thought a lot of himself while he was beating his missus.
If these accusations about Reed are true there's another difference between Reed and Lennon:

Lennon apologized and tried to make up for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=WyEn9LIR9cI
youtube.com/watch?v=OA8N0xy3hjE

>this thread

haha, someone post the warhol link that talks about Lou Reed eating ass.

>Lennon bent to the sanctimonious culture police, probably cause he was a posturing faggot just like the people attacking him
>Reed stood tall
So cool

>being a decent human being?
>not cool

>a decent human being

>sending an user to Sup Forums for posting a /lit/ meme

I like lou even more now

what the fuck is this from

>judging the meme instead of the content

The content is still /lit/ you sperg.
>Sup Forums's the only board with a right slant

>The content is still /lit/ you sperg.
Which post?

"decent human being" is a lit meme?

Have yourself a blast
warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=spook

[spoiler]He's calling being a decent human being a spook[/spoiler]

Jesus christ

I don't see it there.

Try again?

I don't go to lit, I have no idea what that means

I'd bang his sister

Taken from /lit/
>What is a spook?
Ideas/concepts/abstract principles and the like which are separate to ourselves and which we hold above our own interest.

The image he posted is of the philosopher who created the idea of a spook, Max Stirner.

>Who gives a shit? I just got a new liver, it's not like it'll be my last album or anything.

Sounds like he wasn't a decent human being

I second this

The Velvet Underground And Nico (1967), 9/10
White Light White Heat (1967), 9/10
Velvet Underground (1969), 6.5/10
Live (1974), 8/10
Loaded (1970), 6/10
Lou Reed (1972), 6/10
Transformer (1972), 6.5/10
Berlin (1973), 7/10
Sally Can't Dance (1974), 5/10
Metal Machine Music (1975), 8/10
Rock And Roll Heart (1976), 4/10
Coney Island Baby (1976), 6/10
Street Hassle (1978), 7/10
Bells (1979), 6.5/10
Growing Up In Public (1980), 6.5/10
Blue Mask (1982), 7/10
Legendary Hearts (1983), 7/10
New Sensations (1984), 6.5/10
Mistrial (1986), 6.5/10
New York (1989), 8/10
Songs For 'Drella (1990), 6.5/10
Magic And Loss (1992), 6.5/10
Set The Twilight Reeling (1996), 6/10
Ecstasy , 7/10
The Raven , 4/10
Animal Serenade (2004), 4/10
Hudson River Wind Meditations (2007), 5/10
Lulu (2011), 5/10

> racist
he literally made a song called I wanna be black
also Last Great American Whale

>The obituaries were a bit too kind
HOLY SHIT
LOU REED DIED!?

Lou was a sociopath. This is old news.

>Bob Dylan
>pretentious kike
Huh? I always thought Lou Reed was literally copying Bob Dylan's vocal style or at least was influenced by him.