Why the hell do people like Illinois more?

Why the hell do people like Illinois more?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5TVBf6cWM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because nobody likes Michigan as a concept

lol this

because we don't give a damn for the whole state of michigan

because, musically, it's almost as good, but it earns you a lot more indie cred points.

The ratio makes Michigan the superior album, currently.

Illinois is more extravagant and orchestral, and therefore more initially interesting and accessible. I personally prefer Michigan overall, although my favorite Sufjan song is Come on feel the Illinoise.

i think illinois is just better probably, some of the songs on this drone on just past their limit enough that illinois edges it out.

illinois > all delighted people > michigan > adz > c&l > swans

I've been listening to primarily Sufjan for months now and I still can't get into Michigan. It just doesn't do it for me like the others.

Adz > Illinois > C & L = Seven Swans > All Delighted People = Avalanche > Michigan

>Avalanche
>better than Michigan
Nigga what the fuck, you have no taste. Further demonstrated by the fact that you don't even list Enjoy Your Rabbit.

Overall I personally prefer Michigan, but it still feels like it was a precursor to Illinois, which is definitely a more "complete" album

no a sun came or enjoy your rabbit?

I find myself asking the same question too.
Oh fuck off there is so much you can write about Michigan.

This album has seriously influenced me so so much

>Adz above C&L
i respectfully disagree

because michigan is a shithole

The real question is: why don't people like seven swans more? It's easily his numba one best album.

So much this

youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5TVBf6cWM

Why the hell do people like Sufjan at all?

Michigan had the Crucifucks

You can write a hell of a lot more about Wisconsin than any other state in the Midwest. Illinois only has Chicago; Michigan only has Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Lansing. Wisconsin has a better history than either of those two.

Because Illinois is just fucking great.

Michigan is his 2nd best, and The Age of Adz is his 3rd.

How the fuck do you write a whole record about cheese curds

i like enjoy yr rabbit more than swans actually thank you for reminding me
they probably should be equal desu

this

>cities are the only identity a region has

You can write a ton about the lakes and woods, to start out generic. The political history of Wisconsin is really interesting, what with it being the birthplace of the Republican Party and McCarthyism. Milwaukee is a very storied town. Madison is a very storied town. Green Bay, Wausau, La Crosse, Eau Claire, Superior, Racine, the list goes on with storied towns. The beer and cheese curds are good by the way.

Sufjan said that when he first made music he made songs assembly line style. That means he'd start with one repeating core melody, and then add tracks over it and take other away throughout the song. This is especially noticeable on Seven Swans but that definitely occurs on Michigan as well, albeit its better concealed and the repeating melodies are longer. This doesn't mean its a bad album, its just that Sufjan obviously wasn't at his full potential when making Michigan. But he was when he made Illinois.
Illinois has way more complex and and dynamic compositions, and they have purpose as well. It has better melodies and doesn't have any of the slight moments of tension between melodies that don't quite fit together. Illinois's entire duration is impressively consistent and there isn't a single awkward moment, only beautiful ones. Everything good about Michigan is drastically improved upon on Illinois.
That's why people like Illinois more than Michigan.

Illinois has a much more orchestral feel, some people are into that I guess

Agreed. It's the album where he actually does what he's good at.

i live in chicago

bada bing, bada boom my friendo! Now leyts go to Rigatoni Tony for some fresh ragu peperoni

I live in a America with a pair of Payless shoes

Do you guys think he will do another state album anytime soon?
What state do you want next?

>no awkward moments on Illinois
What is that night zombies song then?

I really want to like Sufjan but damn, I tried listening to Michigan last week on the bus and it was a pretty underwhelming experience. It's quite boring indie pop to me, nothing else.

Illinois is more acceptable because the arrangements are more sophisticated and creative, but I thought Michigan was pretty bland and generic. I'm not a huge fan of his extremely soft voice either.

Minnesota