Buy groceries and feed yourself, even on the road

>Buy groceries and feed yourself, even on the road.

>For less than the cost of a Big Mac, fries and a Coke, you can buy a loaf of fresh bread and some good cheese or roast beef, which you will enjoy much more.

>In heaven, after antipasti, the first course will be pasta.

>I think fashion is repulsive. The whole idea that someone else can make clothing that is supposed to be in style and make other people look good is ridiculous. It sickens me to think that there is an industry that plays to the low self-esteem of the general public. I would like the fashion industry to collapse.

>I'm not really interested in participating in mainstream culture. Participating in the mainstream music business is, to me, like getting involved in a racket. There's no way you can get involved in a racket and not someway be filthied by it.

>I don't think anyone has exhausted the range of sound possible in a conventional rock band, but people do become slaves to their own easiest techniques.

Really makes you think...

Other urls found in this thread:

chicagoreader.com/chicago/steve-albini-electrical-audio-mortgage-campaign/Content?oid=2525968
chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2010/10/07/that-whole-paying-off-electrical-audio-thing-never-mind
electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8249&start=60
youtube.com/watch?v=m-m1NxD_V3E
youtube.com/watch?v=NK0kxtOajVA
electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50926&start=140
youtube.com/watch?v=kaNZbUENKjk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>decided to build a studio at the time when recording industry started dying
>didn't take the points when they were available
>now he's in debt up to his eyeballs
>he and his wife have to live in a room in his studio (poor heather)
>serious gambling problem
>spends his days recording trite music he hates by bands he thinks are shit
don't end up like steve kids

>debt up to his eyeballs
Really? Yikes. I'm no fan of the guy, but it sort of pains me if he's in those straits

>"I believe that the so-called shoegaze movement of bands is essentially just a gang of pretentious art school kids trying to create noise, but they're putting emphasis on some sort of cool, mysterious, sexy factor by obscuring the vocals and creating some hazy, druggy "atmosphere". Every one of these bands seem to have this woman in the front, acting provocatively on stage, wearing tons of makeup, and making some type of peculiar moaning tribal sex noise instead of singing legible lyrics. Underneath all the noise and obscured vocals, it's just your basic pop-rock, just pure bubblegum pop that's been peddled on your local radio station by the record company for the past 50 years. Same song structure, same basic premise at the core of it. But since there's a loud reverb-laden guitar it's so deep, so original, so creative.

>When people regard a group like Slowdive or Lush or Jesus and Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine as the pinnacle of noise, or call these groups innovative and challenging in any way, I throw up in my mouth a little. People regard this mindless pop as noise, instead of listening to an actual noise group like The Jesus Lizard or Girls Against Boys. This shit is the reason that the development of British music has stagnated over the past 15 years, and will continue to do so."

Just how many scenes of music can one man BTFO?

He's kinda right but still

damn

I feel bad for Steve sometimes too but he did all of that to himself. A few years ago he went on tour overseas and got into a high dollar poker game and lost his ass big time and had to have his wife Heather empty their joint bank accounts to cover the game. Then he and one of his friends cooked up the idea to start a Kickstarter to recoup the lost cash. They went on on the Electrical forum and asked for donations to "pay off Electrical Audio's mortgage" instead of telling the truth about what happened.

Long story short, some of their friends caught wind of their scam and threatened to go public with the damming info if they didn't cancel the Kickstarter campaign.

>filename
lost

Wow, what the fuck? I thought he was more honest than that.

No, he's gotten pretty scummy in the last ten years or so. The main problem's his gambling addiction, it's completely out of control at this point.

i wanna say you're lying but i've listen to some interviews of him talking about poker nonstop...........

Oh wow. How come you can't find anything about this online? or was this all hush-hush?

shoegaze i believe draws on the possibilities of drones which have been used in india and other culture for thousands of years. also wall of sound

I was an intern at Electrical for a short time, that's the only reason I know anything abut it at all.

Take a look at these:
chicagoreader.com/chicago/steve-albini-electrical-audio-mortgage-campaign/Content?oid=2525968
chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2010/10/07/that-whole-paying-off-electrical-audio-thing-never-mind
Tim Midgett is the guy I was talking about before. He used to be in a popular band I can't remember the name of right now. He tried to play it off in pubic as a "prank" when everybody got so mad about it behind closed doors.

Did you meet Albini?

Yeah, I worked there. Not for very long though.

I found one mention of his supposed gambling addiction dating back to 2007. Cloud Nothings also claimed he was playing computer games in the studio almost the entire time while recording their album.

How is this man full of shit about 99% of everything but he's actually has the best advice around when it comes to drum machines?

>The main trick I used with the 606 was (as mentioned) using the accent function to emphasize the rhythm shape. Another way to make an accent was to have the snare and the tom hit on the same beat. With these different kinds of accents, you can make a simple rhythm breathe a little bit. In recording, I would use an equalizer to open up the low-end, but that, a Memory Man and plate reverb were about all I ever had to use.

>When I first got the 606 I carried it around and listened to it like a walkman, and over the course of a day I would gradually build and re-build a rhythm until it was satisfying to listen to on its own.

>One little-mentioned oddity about the 606 was that as you turned the tempo knob higher, the decay of the sounds shortened slightly (pitch stayed constant), so I tended to use slower tempo settings programmed in double-time, because I preferred the longer tones. I discovered this during the headphone phase by programming single hits and turning the tempo knob.

>Another trick I used often was to make the drum pattern in segments of say, four bars, with different accents or minor variations of the rhythm in each segment. Then I would make a loop of an odd number of these segments, three or five, so the accents re-appeared in a less-predictable pattern. It kept the simple rhythms from being dull and repetitive.

>Drum machines can be cool instruments with a lot of character. I was always disappointed when I heard one being used clumsily, which was most of the time.

How is he in real life?
Is he an overrated meme producer?

wtf I hate steve albini now

He's ...Steve. He's probably one of the most two-faced individuals I've ever met. I didn't intern at Electrical for very long, but it was striking how he'd treat clients to their faces vs. how he spoke about them when they weren't around.

sounds like he's missing the point on purpose

>character
>machine

electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8249&start=60

lol, here's Steve apparently not really caring about $7000 being tied up and virtually gone when the U.S. government shut down Full Tilt Poker a few years ago. He's pretty far from a regular person as far as his gambling problem goes.

Gambling is one hell of an addiction

I really ended up only feeling bad for his wife, he's just a typical selfish addict.

Vintage drum machines have imperfections. Ex. you sample several different high hat hits they will sound slightly different based on the noise source. Ex2. Microtiming imperfections causing patterns to groove.

>There's no way you can get involved in a racket and not someway be filthied by it.
apparently he found a way. Simply belittle and make fun of them.

>CAW CAW

youtube.com/watch?v=m-m1NxD_V3E
Released 31 August 2014
youtube.com/watch?v=NK0kxtOajVA
Released September 16, 2014

too much of a coincidence

>youtube.com/watch?v=m-m1NxD_V3E
Producer Steve Albini

lol, has anyone ever shown you how the Dude Incredible album got it's name? Pretty lazy if you ask me.

electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50926&start=140

No I hadn't and I agree but it's cool to see that board.

I was kinda surprised when I saw Bob Weston mastered the new Jessy Lanza

youtube.com/watch?v=kaNZbUENKjk

30 replies, 10 posters.

all this albini.

who gives fook what ya think about his vices m8? i ain't tryna fuck him, just wanna listen to his music.

>30 replies, 10 posters.
and 2 dubs

>just wanna listen to his music.
he hasn't been relevant in 15 years

It was just a prank bro

a lot of what albini does in music revolves around the ideals he advocates publicly. it is not out of line to discuss the fact that he does not live what he preaches if that is true

>we're not going to start acting like assholes simply to avoid going broke
>like a messiah walking among his disciples
fucking hell

three sevens confirm

>caring this much about trips

bruh

ayy

poker

He never said this, it's just a copypasta that's been attributed to both him and Scaruffi