/prod/ - Music Production General

Now comes with an edition, Edition

>clyp your completed project and your WIPs here.
>clyp.it only
Posting Soundcloud/YT links are considered self-promoting, and the thread shouldn't have that.
>Ask questions, be descriptive if you want answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/AcUqeH8Q
clyp.it/x0ftpzvz
clyp.it/
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists
clyp.it/ovk4sdn2
clyp.it/cz0pj3pb
clyp.it/4blna413
tfr.roland.com/us/products
bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/03/21/free-drum-machine-samples-by-wave-alchemy/
clyp.it/wl0lsdps
vocaroo.com/i/s1Th32Jj5thR
clyp.it/ocxg21hi
clyp.it/odduijo1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You couldn't even copy the OP from that last few threads? They have been great

I made that into a pastebin link, forgot to put it into the op
pastebin.com/AcUqeH8Q

Why am I struggling at mixing bass so much

clyp.it/x0ftpzvz

What have you tried so far?

A new general about music production!

Previous thread is here:
Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on

clyp.it/

or any other similar website. GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN
>REMEMBER THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH DAW YOU USE

keep it short, long OPs are a pain in the ass. most links are in

>tfw you actually start understanding and implementing envelopes for your synths

its like a bright new world

#
wait so if I have the signal 75% wet, does that mean some of the pre-FX signal will bleed through the unit?
It means that 25% dry signal is mixed with 75% of the wet signal

>I know how the aux/return thing works, I still dont understand why the mix has to be set to 100%

It's set to 100% as you are mixing the dry sound on your channel with the 100% wet sound of the effect, if it wasn't 100% wet then it would be adding 2 parts of dry signal one from the effect one from the channel...I think.

I'm guessing that is how they intend you using it if they recommend it being 100% wet, of course if you are just feeding synth or guitar audio into it and then into your audio interface then you'd want to use it at less than 100% unless you don't want to hear the original signal and just want to hear the effects.

Increasing low end to make it thumpier.

clyp.it/ovk4sdn2

how do you even mix vocals to give them more presence than just doubling them up? Beyond compressing them to shit or using a saturator

how about turn it up dude
maybe cut off frequencies below 30hz to kill any slop

eq properly
record with a good microphone
these vocals are lacking any midrange/bass and sound weak as a result
tfw i made all these sounds by accident
clyp.it/cz0pj3pb

I think just turn this bass up it's really dope though

Holy fuck this is beautiful, I have no idea how you did it but I'd rap over this in a second

How do you guys (yes, because everyone here is doing it) even make those clicky, watery, weird fucking sounds? I can't even tell what is a synth and what is a processed drum sample. Where would I even start with that?

What is the best "babby's first DAW" book for Ableton?

I have some basic knowledge of music theory from six years of forced piano lessons.

plugins upon plugins upon plugins

most of these sounds are literally just a kick sample run thru a ring modulator, delay, chorus, granular mod, and a comb filter with some convolution reverb

the hats I used a plugin called panorama and automated them going "around the head"

>record with a good microphone
this + record properly

>possibly boost around 2000-3000
>make sure no other instruments are playing in the range where your vocals are sitting
>(maybe) a touch of reverb with a long tail

i mean it's basic recording and arrangement mostly- the goal with the reverb should be making it sound like the vocalist is singing from the front of the band in a room

Interesting, I'll try it. Thanks.

what speakers are worth it around $300

The manual is cool

>if it wasn't 100% wet then it would be adding 2 parts of dry signal one from the effect one from the channel...I think.

That's it exactly, and the reason you don't want any dry signal coming back in to the mixer from the effects unit is that (depending on the mixer and the effects unit design) the dry portion might be phase-shifted and it would cause comb filtering when recombined at the mix bus with the original dry signal of the mixer channel.

clyp.it/4blna413

HELP

I DID THIS BUT HAVE TO CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH IT NOW

>Someone comments that vocals could be a lot stronger
>very embarassed of my lyrical content

damn when do I get over it for real

i think you're the next kanye

30 new roland products on 9/09

tfr.roland.com/us/products

Idk why but I'm hoping there's a new Juno G-series keyboard

Thanks for clarifying that user. Sometimes I'm not totally sure what things are doing or if they are doing what I think they are. I always get a bit confused about pre and post aux channels. Does pre fader just send the aux at full fader level as in bypassing the channel fader and what are the two variations mainly used for? I'm guessing post aux is what I explained previously so is used for reverb and delay type effects and from what I understand the fader is the amount of signal sent to the effect...I think

Adoepasbete

Do you guys think that the drum samples that come with Ableton are enough for you?
If not what drum samples do you find yourself using the most?
Do you have drum sample packs?

I'm learning ableton 9 as I make a song for a game and I wondered if someone could help me answer a question.

I'm trying to export a short 9 bar loop as a .wav. The same loop sounds massively different based on whether i have "render as loop selected" or not. The other people i had listen to it says it sounded like its got a slight droning noise under neath it when "render as loop" is turned on, and i hear it as well.

So my question is, is that difference in sound, or the droning noise we hear, just a result of what the loop would need to sound like to loop perfectly if played in succession?
They are trying to keep the file size small so they want it to stay as just one loop, and not have me export it looping a bunch of times, but I don't expect there's anyway to make it not sound that way and have it loop perfectly.

This is a really great free pack. It's got great early 80s drum machine samples. The drumtraks one slams.

bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/03/21/free-drum-machine-samples-by-wave-alchemy/

Yeah post-fade sends keep the amount of signal sent to the effect proportional to the fader level, so if you adjust the fader you'll also send less signal to the effect - useful if you spent a long time getting your effects set up (phasers and flangers are very sensitive to wet/dy mix) and then decide to adjust the fader.

Pre-fade sends come from live sound and monitor mixes, where you'd set up a send to feed a separate headphone or monitor wedge mix to some of the musicians that maybe had different listening requirements (maybe they wanted less of the drums in their monitors or suchlike) - with a pre-fade send you can change the position of the faders that feed the main outputs without changing what goes to the send.

I'd also add that pre-fade sends are useful for reverb effects - for example you can pull a channel fader down to the bottom and still have a reverb audible, gets used on fade-outs a lot.

if you like the roland drum machines they're plenty fine... good even

aside from that i really only use the battery factory library... there's a free "flying lotus" sample pack i found on /r/drumkits that's quality too.

that drone is probably the tail of a sound you have playing- basically it's going to render what the song would sound like if you just kept it looping indefinitely in ableton, or it's going to restart the instruments every time and it won't loop as well because it cuts off

>so if you adjust the fader you'll also proportionally adjust the signal to the effect*

Fixed for clarity.

Nice shitty DAW, lmao ;))

clyp.it/wl0lsdps

how is this sounding so far

pretty good
how did you get that synth line
which vst's do you use

thanks family.

all my main instrument sounds were made using nexus lol. I downloaded a lot of free expansion packs

where did the mono midi meme come from? is it derived from CV/GATE?

Do you use an amp ans sub when making stuff?

Check this out guys

its soo tiny

What is that equipment in pic related ? I'm pretty new to this and would like to know what the equipment is in the green boxes and where the arrows are pointed as well.

Thanks,

far left column is patch bays + what looks like reverb/delay units

inner left has a 500 series rack, not sure what the other things are

mid left seems to be audio interfaces

not sure what the mid right is

the entire right box seems to be mostly compressors, the modules in the 500 series racks may be EQs

All in all I can't see there being under 20-30k worth of equipment in that pic. Probably like 50 if I had to guess not counting the treatment and design of the room.

Pocket theory major ;)))

attempt at asmr

vocaroo.com/i/s1Th32Jj5thR

wow ur gay man

there's 4 distressors which is 8k already

small ones are NS10's

what are the big monitors?

3 Eventide H3000 series racks to, these are like 1-2k a piece. Plus that LA2A which is $3500.

I think they are Tannoy but not sure what model.

Also, not sure what the very tall reference tower speakers are behind them.

I hope you know that you dont need tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff to make cool music. Just looking at all this (4 distressor compressors, a ton of DBX gear, I'm also seeing an LA2A I think) it's going to be way too expensive for someone on Sup Forums. (no offense)

If you want some kind of interface, just get a focusrite Scarlet series or maybe a tascam interface. If you want a compressor, get maybe some software compression you can "find online" or perhaps a cheap hardware setup like a dbx 160x or something.
Microphones are also pretty cheap (drumset = bass drum/snare/overheads= shure 52a/Shure sm57/cad 179)
If you can afford the gear then there's no problem. But I think that it'd be best to start small and see what you can do with fewer things, because that'll get the creative juices flowing.

You don't need any kit at all. All you need is a computer and speakers/headphones.

pod studio ux2
lexicon alpha
pdmic78
nady sp1
reaper
korg microkey 37
ditto looper

the clap is nice in my opinion but change out the kick.it needs to be more boomy and bassy instead of a sharp cheap kick like you have. you could eq the bass out your existing kick so it would sound just like the smack and layer it with a nice boomy bass kick. then what you wanna do is make a heavy super saw then have it play on every kick. then maybe idk use a high pitched sine wav put through a chorus and an echoy reverb for your lead. classic club rap shit

fuck no I dont want anymore shit jobs

shitty skills shitty jobs ;^D

so how do I get skills ;-0

you can clean up the designated sharting aisles

college, technical school, job experience.. all in all nepotism is probaly easier ,"-(

stop memeing me and help me need to move on with my life!

you think if I book some mixing mastering time at a local studio and go hehe I want to be an intern they'll let me?

if ur gud

how would I know if Im good my only experience is about 3 yrs with ableton

Just call up one of those studios, and say hey dude, I'm a /prod/ nerd, I'm really interested in what you are doing over there, and I would love a tour of the studio someday when nothing is going on.

Then don't be a creep. Be charming, show your knowledge, be friendly, ask questions, and by the end of it, ask if they need some help. Somehow get your foot in the door.

How many /prod/ memes do you know?

stop you god dang it i'm not a resident anyways just pop in from time to time

man Im just an autist when it comes to things like that. but this is the only conclusion I have come to baka

>man Im just an autist when it comes to things like that. but this is the only conclusion I have come to baka

There is someone else out there who will do it instead, then.

im going to literally right a script when I call them thinking bout hitting 2 of them up

with your guys' experience what seem like a better choice for experience a hip hop one that is ran by someone who looks like a gangster and works with younger urban people or a dad who works with older people and more of bands

>asking for life advice on clam cleaning forum

If your gonna work at the hip hop one, you need to be very good at rolling blunts.

No, but seriously, They don't know you for shit. This is why asking for a tour is a good prospect. Just call up and say, hey dude, was checking out your studio online, I'm a local guy and I make tunes, I'm really interested in studios and music tech and what you have going on over there. If you would have me, I'd love to swing by sometime when its convenient and check it out & pick your brain.

They are studio guys, they love talking about this shit, and they love showing off their stuff.

You spend a few minutes talking to them, and you can determine if this is even something you want to pursue, and they can figure out if you are a creep that they don't want anything to do with.

aren't there pros here?

they're all still at work

The two will have different definitions of "competent", which will lead them to different opinions of your eagerness to learn - not saying the dad will want you to know your way around (ie: have experience in using) multi-track tape and 100% hardware environments but most likely that will be the thing that impresses him.

The gangster will be impressed by Pro Tools maybe, but in reality he'll be swayed by your knowledge of general DAW and digital audio stuff - y'know, stuff that he uses.

That's a ridiculous generalization but it won't hurt to think that way when initially speaking with them, and it gives you target material that you can read up on that'll get a conversation going. You need to be able to get along with them, first impressions and all that.

Also, if you're really gonna script this, do what telemarketers do - the good ones anyway. Rehearse it so it doesn't sound like you're reading from a cue card, that's an obvious thing but just adding it for completeness.

hmmm its true about your generalizations I was lurking there social medias

also thanks for the rehearse idea

see what scares me is that I dont know anything not even protools but I'll let me know that I'll scrub toilets if I have to

The best thing to give as an impression is that you're ready to start learning how things are done by people who do this for a living - DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give them the idea that you want to learn so that you can build up your own pro studio, because they'll think you're there to poach ideas and maybe even clients. This is a competitive business and fair competition is not in their lexicon - both of them will have been shafted by someone in the past and they will be hyper-vigilant in case it happens again.

You want to work for them - that is what you want them to believe.

BusyWorkBeats is my nigga. He got me into music production and posts every 6 hours or so. What a legend.

I guess there is nothing left to talk about huh I just need to do this pray for me family, my parents are threatening to kick me out.

relaxing negro guitar plays in background

>clyp.it/ocxg21hi
Anyone here fuck with trap? I need some opinions. Does the beginning of the second drop (around 3:14) sound weird or off to anyone? Also, what about that bass at the end? Does it fit with the rest of the track or nah?

>clyp.it/odduijo1
Would also like just some general feedback on this one. Anything helps.