Robert Fripp appreciation thread

In which Mister Fripp forces his bandmates to beg the audience not to photograph him before a live show

youtube.com/watch?v=kl69qnWbQ_M

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D57fYwyhajk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how can anyone actually appreciate him?

>Fripp is certainly a little . . . different. I saw him on one of those G3 tours with Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. We walked into the venue (new Montreal Forum, don't know or care what the current corporate name is) and heard this nice, spacey music washing over the arena. About five minutes after we sat down (and 30 minutes before the advertised start time) my friend the Fripp freak (say that 5 times fast!) realized that this older guy wandering around the stage with a guitar in his hands is Fripp. The house lights were still up as Fripp would play a few notes and then twiddle a few nobs to get the looping happening. Then he'd wander around the stage, stop and watch the people filing in, then make a few whale sounds and twiddle a bit more. We really enjoyed the soundscape he was producing and thought "how nice, he's providing walking-in music". Then he takes off the guitar and walks off stage. The lights go down and the next group starts. That was Fripp's performance. We thought he was going to start a proper set but no, didn't see him again until the grand finale jam. At which point, while the other guitar players were trading solos, Fripp sat at the back of the stage, facing away from the crowd, and strummed some chords. Even when the other guys tried to get him to solo, he just ignored them and sat there strumming.

>The Guitarist Stage Left also persisted. Until finally, having been slapped around the face and stabbed in the heart too many times (this is how I experience violation in performance), it was not possible to honourably continue. Robert left the stage, followed shortly by the other Crims. The show finished, a result of ongoing photographic abuse.

>RF: "I went to the Netherlands to produce Peter Gabriel's new album. We also worked in England and in New York. It took 4 months altogether. Then I rested and worked on my solo album for which I had already spent much time composing. Meanwhile, I did a solo concert in New York on February 5, 1978 at the Kitchen Video Arts Centre in Soho. There was no publicity for that concert. On a winter night at 4 a.m. in 12 inches of snow, there still was a queue four blocks long. We had to add another concert. I was alone on stage with the Frippertronics Eno had taught me to use. This had nothing to do with a rock'n'roll concert. We passed around tea and cookies to everyone and we had to confiscate cameras and tape recorders. The event was designed for the present, not for the past. It was one of the best days of my life. I was disappointed to learn that some people had nevertheless succeeded in taping the concert; that was a violation of the concert's spirit. There was a real interaction between the audience and the artist, and some people wanted to steal because barriers had fallen down. This behaviour is so American."

In which the Army of Fripp personally demand that Grooveshark remove all KC material

He's the perfect man

he's a nice guy in person

I he really that shitty of a person? I really try to separate the person from the art but he's maybe my favorite guitarist and it bothers me when I hear all these stories about him

He's not a shitty person, he's just, to say the least, eccentric

He's earned the right to do anything he wants, all hail God Emperor Fripp

I mean yeah but for me I feel like just the fact that at the end of the day an artist treats people around them with common courtesy makes their philosophy and ideas about the world that much more meaningful

He is a legend

Well what else do you expect from the mastermind behind James Crary's abuction and abuse?

he's a nice guy, he's just eccentric with regards to a couple things

>you will never be Robert Fripp's friend

He also insists on sitting down when he plays

He's just a funny little autist

Absolute madman

"ARE YOU RECORDING ME?"

There's that one video where he gets so into it that he stands up

Once read this story in a prog magazine
>guy sees some band live
>the frippster is there
>sits next to him and says hello
>fripp literally seethes with rage and turns red