I am an Australian Born Chinese (ABC) to Cantonese speaking migrant parents...

I am an Australian Born Chinese (ABC) to Cantonese speaking migrant parents. I am a failure in life with no sense of identity. I realised through during high school and from the samples of interactions I've had post-high school i get along with the mainlander migrants far better than other ABCs.

I feel that i should go to China and get a simple job, e.g. Retail sales, to find my identity there.

Need opinion. Money isn't an issue once i arrive in China. I just want to know if i should do this.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/www.ibtimes.com/china-adds-318-million-urban-jobs-first-quarter-unemployment-rate-broadly-stable-2357877?amp=1?client=safari
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you won't be able to
jobs are like diamonds there
you don't just "find one"

Any job that isn't a hazard to my health and wellbeing will do

there isn't enough jobs for the people there

Why though? As an Asian immigrant to the USA, this place is the shit.

Wanna grab a beer lad? Me and the boys are heading over to the pub soon

You in sydney?

Now the real question here is if you can play a flute with your arsehole?

I can't.

Tfw no australian lad to offer beer

Well hello there

Come to the pub lad, we can discuss how you're going to import a nice uzbek gf for me

Im not competitive enough for the western world. I get along with lazy cheating Chinese better.
Can't i just get a job in a small business for cash in hand?
I had my wisdom teeth removed so i can't going anyway. Im not even that Australian. You probably already know what im like.

>jobs are like diamonds there

Except that they objectively are not.

Guangdong and Shenzen speak Cantonese and are right next to Hong Kong. They are booming and have much lower pollution than other parts of China.

Would recommend at least visiting for a week before you make a big choice though.

Are you fucking kidding me

google.com/amp/www.ibtimes.com/china-adds-318-million-urban-jobs-first-quarter-unemployment-rate-broadly-stable-2357877?amp=1?client=safari
>3.18 million not 318 million

I will be living in guangzhou. The last time i went there was in 2007

I'm 2nd gen (Yugo) as well and feel out of place, but not enough to move

Come to the pub lad, have a few drinks with me and the boys

if you are a good for nothing shithead better stick with centrelink bucks or chinese restaurant job

you wont even get an english teaching job without a white face, only place for ABCs in china is tech/university/investment jobs

1. I hate Reddit but they will be better at helping you than Sup Forums
2. We sometimes have a /Sino/ thread where some anons have information.
3. If you have decent english you can be an english teacher part time

don't live in Sydney

Why do you want to go the mainland instead of HK/Macau if you can speak Cantonese anyway?

>I get along with lazy cheating Chinese better.

I thought this meme was the opposite, Chinks have their tiger mothers and work ethic and whitey are unemployed NEETs

Because my family moved back to guangzhou and because from limited experience and perceptions the people i got along with were students from the mainland

That stereotype is largely accurate for ABCs.

I'm looking into your future now. You are in front of a small, rotting shack in rural Guilin, learning the mantis fist under the instruction of Sifu Kwok.

Go Chinese man, go and fulfill thine destiny.

is gulnara ok

NOICE

requesting mainlander to give advice.

If you don't have skills you'll only get factory-tier work, maybe no work at all. Do you have money from somewhere else? Do you really want to be stuck poor in a shit social class? If you don't mind that possibility, then I suggest staying away from big cities, it'll be a lot worse for you. Also, have you lived in China previously? It's not going to be simple, it has a lot of issues and it's going to be convoluted and challenging. Right now you might think it's a better idea but if you haven't lived there and don't really know what it's like...it'll be rough. You might prefer elsewhere after being there for a while. If you have family there, get a job through them, in whatever they're doing but don't do that if it's shit jobs in bad regions. Go somewhere with low pollution, low population and strong social and economic development. Despite the memes, there are a lot of places like that, China is constantly getting better.

As you say, it could be the difference between a shit life with no identity, and a content one with identity. So it is certainly worth a try. Good luck in what ever you pursue.

love it or leave it, thems the rules mate

Get over yourself. You fucking smug Australian

I'm not smug at all, assuming you're from Sydney its not even australian, if you don't fit in there you will not fit in anywhere else in australia for sure

I'm Anglo-Irish first generation (born here) and I feel right at home

So fuck off you slant eyed cunt this is the huwhite man's land.

Need opinion from a mainland chinese

How is your Mandarin? While people in Guangzhou do speak Cantonese, the current lingua franca there is now Mandarin

Thanks for your practical advice. I intend to study mandarin before going to guangzhou. Mandarin was already common when i went there in 2007. I can't go to to guangzhou without knowing mandarin

Fuck chinks
>inb4 t. Mongol

That was your problem

DO IT BRO

If you want to find a job like retail sales in Guangzhou with less than proficient Mandarin then I think you can only get a job in places like traditional grocery stores or wet markets. English skill would be useful but in these lower position jobs Mandarin would be more important.

doyou fling shit at each other over language differences like we do?

Commie government is trying to wipe out cantonese so you bet

you show how/why Sup Forumschinks are so delusional, naive, thin skinned and insecure

el animale

Don't come to Hong Kong you cuck

Seriously, fuck off we're full

>4% unemployment rate

How is China so perfect?

Need opinions from mainlanders

if you dont know chinese fluently or have science/engineering/business skills, No and full stop.

Country is fucked, all educated/middle class without political connection want out, even if you stay it wont be permanent so its better to go on short tours

I get it you might find mainlanders easier to get along with, but migrants moved out for a reason, and they generally represent educated upper middle class so in some ways they can be even considered un-chinese, better off staying in a migrant enclave and enjoy life in first world, so can't imagine the frustration to be born as 3rd world peasant

however a few months of backpacking is a very good option to consider if you have nothing worthwhile going on at the moment

Look, i don't know if you've noticed but there's a common theme among advice given by the western posters here. It makes me incredulous. I need an opinion from the otherside, someone from china.

yeah we know japanese are so much superior

get connections, have a skill that they need in china and is deserving of good pay, and learn chinese well enough.

china is a very competitive place though, so just ready yourself

A FUCKING GOOK

>Muh identity

Listen up, while having an identity can be fulfilling and beneficial in hard times its also a burden in many ways as it means being responsible for the rights and wrongs of your collective also you get drawn into the conflicts associated to your ethnic group.

Australia is full of poisonous shit but its at least not in your food and clothes, so stay in this anglo new world paradie knowing that you are free of any tribal alliances and cultural baggage and only have a duty towards the society as a whole.

Cantoneses are not a threatened group either so you being absent shouldnt be an all too big loss.
As everyone likes being under his own kind, you might simply try seeking some other wenstenised asian friends if thats what you need.

you have a point

you can come here if you want OP, or maybe go Taiwan if china is too authoritarian for your liking

>I am a failure in life with no sense of identity.

What has this got to do with being an ABC?

I'm a seventh generation Australian and I too am a failure at life with no sense of identity. I don't have some fantasy land where I can move to where I think I'll find my 'identity'.

bad idea to stay permanently, either go on backpacking tours or make big bucks if you can. I go back at least a month every year, it gets worse for average working class folks every time, better stay in Aus and don't take 1st world life for granted which im sure your parents worked hard for. And dont worry about white cucks' opinions or shit talking

Gwen dan - wo men man le

I think we're on different wavelengths. Im going to china for identity finding purposes. The reason any job would do (so long as it doesn't put my wellbeing at risk) is because i just want to do something that would immerse myself into the community and it's people.

Establishing myself in China is not on my mind unless i change my mind while in China.

learn chinese very very well then if you want to get immersed

find out where your ancestry comes from

Ill be living with my grandparents or dad&uncle in guangzhou
>big bucks if you can
It's not permanent. Where are you from? Why can't i just work in a shitty job? Will i be mistreated or something? Once i learn mandarin, i can just ask for a cash in hand job in a small business. That was kind of the plan

What makes you different from the whites?
Australia as a new world country has much more flexible culture when it comes to assimilating foreigners, your slanted eyes shouldnt hold you back feeling at home if you are born there.

Also Singaporean user is right when he says you should come to Taiwan or even better his state as the language barrier isnt there then, will be less alien for you but still familliar I guess.

Do you think mainlanders wont think of you as a banana?
Yellow on the outside white on the inside..
Yel

because shitty job is china is really really really shitty

It is not as easy a getting cash and meaning your buisness will thrive.

You won't be mistreated, but people will definitely try to go around various legal loopholes to get something out of you

Its great to go there and find yourself, but in my opinion, it might be better to find a way to take advantage of your australian citizenship to do buisness in china, like say, maybe exporting certain luxury items from australia to china

german is right
my chinese isnt even that good and they'd tease me for being a banana

Aus user don't worry, china is getting more relevant nowadays, might be better to learn chinese in ausland instead and take advantage of it, who knows, maybe the grills might mistake you for a rich millionaire and try to snag you

>Its great to go there and find yourself, but in my opinion, it might be better to find a way to take advantage of your australian citizenship to do buisness in china, like say, maybe exporting certain luxury items from australia to china
That's kind of the problem here. Ive lost fuck all confidence. i could buy vitamins and health product and export to china but I've been in such a demotivated state that I can't bring myself to make a move. Confidence is what i need to drive me and i cant develop it in australia. I got too defeated here growing up. And im thinking about going to china to take up a more aggressive and assertive attitude, which i assume comes with the identity because im basing on my limited experience with mainlander students and my visits to China that i feel more confident being around them.

What im saying is, yes there's a lot of business opportunities but I can't so it because my self-esteem and confidence is destroyed and I can't rebuild it here in Australia.

north east coast,
working a shitty job is hell in itself, far beyond any mistreatment you can possibly experience in aus, imagine working 10 hours for 20$, drains your life away like prison. Better idea is to work in Aus and take long breaks touring the whole country

As for culture, If you didn't grow up in the place, you simply wont ever be a part of the culture, even natives born 5-10 years apart have cultural gaps, now you are a foreigner who cant even speak language well.

If you are struggling with identity issues, Id suggest take family out on tour/trips more and learning language, there do seem to be lack of cultural activities for ABC, even in china which I consider a cultural desert has a music scene, dont understand why ABCs cant make own music, maybe parents pushed the doctor meme too hard

>to take up a more aggressive and assertive attitude

Just stop fapping so much, excersize more, even something basic like pushups helps

Like if its a big big problem, relegate 1hour of excersize between work/study, at least 3-2 hrs of excersize a day, it helps put you more in a focused mood and away from your self drepreciating thoughts

>maybe parents pushed the doctor meme too hard
Yes, this is true. This all abcs know growing up. And when I realised i wasn't disciplined enough to do it, it destroyed me. There's less variety of ABCs in Australia. I feel that abcs are more traditional and less expressive than the internationals who come here

Im guessing that there are no cozy pubs in the steppe

No, i need a sea change. Is china really this bad? It was pretty welcoming when i went there. Im not going there to compete in any skilled labour job.

its not bad, its just competitive

just don't throw away your cards so eagerly, go there for afew months and then decide.

Okay, i want to know, after I've learnt mandarin. Can't i just get a job as a sports store salesman? Or a waiter? how competitive are those jobs?

plenty of chinese local people already want to do those

I'd recommend really getting a higher education, does'nt have to be a doctor, you don't want to end up like ameriturds doing service/labour jobs for too long

>my self esteem

I dont have the greatest selfesteem either and being concious off and unquestionably tied to the soil here doesnt helps me either much in that regard (albeit it doesnt add with identity issues).

Just be a yellowtinted aussie man and try to get over not having a gf yet or an amazing physique. If you need something to connect with badly read some chinese classics and visit the continent a few times, get some friends there over the internet to keep contact with or if you are not an atheist and want to be a more legitimate form of the "neopagan" american who tries to reeurofie himself this way get into daoism and light an incence stick for your dead ones or something like this.

No need to risk falling on your face in a rush, seriously australia is unironically one of the best countries on earth besides newzealand, denmark and the swizz.
Now

I dont know Esp. When a poster holding a chinese passport telling me it's bad. I know bad shit happens in china but am i going to get taken advantage of for being an abc or something. What's my biggest worry here?

Or maybe he had enough confidence built in china to take on australia? Most of the ones coming from china to australia are successful in some way.

why do you insist on getting a job in china? the pay will be so shit that you would need to spend all of your time working just to cover living expenses

Long backpacking trips are more than enough to gain positive cultural experience, making stupid economic decisions wont necessarily help you with identity issues

I guess if you are having depression/motivation problems then a change of place would definitely help, shitty job would be a good wake up call but you wouldnt be hired without language proficiency. I suppose your relative could help tho, Id say go for it if you are on the brink of suicide with nothing better to do.

Oh and dont think about business shit if you dont have contacts thru your parents, all good business venture there is would be exploited by people with contacts and smarts already, Science/Tech/English jobs would be your best bet if you want to stay reasonably long or make reasonable amount of money

>assuming you're from Sydney its not even australian,
What did he mean by this?

Sydney is like 80% non-white.

I do have another option. I move to a regional australian town.

You know how there's stories these uni students cheating in exams and doing underhanded shit to get forward. Generally not afraid to take risks and think outside the box?

I want that. And i thought maybe i could learn it by living in China. ABCs are not like that at all. This isnt about things like chinese festivals or being in touch with chinese customs more so than it is about adopting attitudes of those from the mainland. I ultimately want to do business, that is my end goal, but i need the right attitude and confidence to drive through obstacles to get in my way.

dont know what your problem is, life direction issue or cultural issue?

either way I'd say save up/ask for a few thousand bucks and go on a trip around china even just the big cities, definitely worthwhile, then move to rural Aus if you have to.

However I wouldn't stay in china for long unless there is more money to be made than in Aus, pollution/internet censorship/no rule of law is just too much and its getting worse

Lol at the typos. Forgive me its 2am.

Life direction through adopting chinese attitudes is ideal. If china isnt possible then i have to develop myself in regional australia away from the city.

If im going to china, im living with my grandparents so i dont have to pay for a single thing. I have 30k in savings which should be enough for whatever it is.

> I have 30k in savings
> I ultimately want to do business, that is my end goal

So you are not a failure and simply want to pick up your roots for a greater amount of options and connections in life, goddamnit this sounds much different then your OP post.

lol, most of the riches in the world is inherited not earned. if your parents/relatives can't help you then you are not going to get rich anytime soon regardless of your ability/character, dealing drugs maybe? youre starting to sound edgy here, I got no experience making big bucks so cant help you

>Sydney is like 80% non-white.
That's bs. You country fucktards have never been here but make shit up anyway.

30k is nothing, can't even start a chinese takeaway. Chinese government even encourages uni graduates to start small business just to trick them out of their parents'
burial fund to pump up the failing economy however small the amount is, So no of chance making any money with that little

yeah drugs are probably your best bet if you want to go all out hustling and shit

I need to develop confidence, drive and ruthlessness to pursue my goals. With no confidence and self-esteem making a move would end in failure because i lack fortitude.
There's no way you are the chinese passport user. Absolutely no way.

That's not what I was saying. Why is it non-Australian?

There are chinese whos starting those shops where they buy vitamins from chemist warehouse and take them inside. Money isn't the issue. I cam never so that because i dont have the confidence to go out and chase something.
See seriously, this is what i fucking mean. I will never learn the right attitude to pursue goals relentlessly because i grew up amongst people like you. You said i sound edgy and yet thats how the chinese are from what ive heard. All australians are hyper conformist with little to none entrepreneurial spirit who cannot think outside the box and can only think of getting a job and working there for life while climbing the corporate ladder while thinking how great australia is. Australia is only great because there's money to be made. I dont want to be like you, scared of taking risks and always having to follow morals. but i have no choice because i dont know any other way.

>uni students cheating in exams and doing underhanded shit to get forward

I've changed my opinion. Move to China and stay there. We've got enough lazy drongos as it is.

ABCs are usually more adjusted to their foreign surroundings so as a fellow ABC you are less likely to be able to take advantage of them.

The FOBs are quite literally Fresh Off the Boat and don't know how things work so it is easier to subjugate (make friends) with them.

Take for instance, ABCs will use whitey (or blackey in rare instances) as leverage when there is internal strive or competition.

FOBs have none of these connections and can only speak their mothertongue of Mandarin (or Cantonese) so the only people they can rely on is the residual Chinese communities that have lived in the land longer than they have.

Am I not correct?

>his parents fell for the half asian half white beautiful mixed baby meme

they are stupid people, and you inherited their stupid genes, stupid

Yea fuck you. All you think about is conformism. No wonder the chinese who come here can see opportunities easier than you and make way more money than australians while working less.

I am the passport user, I have lower class friends/relatives so I know exactly how hard it is to make money for people outside the establishment. Forget about making money in china if your relatives can't help, better off saving up for a chinese takeaway in regional centres with that 30k,

for the milk powder/ugg/cosmetic shit, if you can rent a warehouse and stock enough shit with 30k AND (pretty big AND) have ways of distribution then yes you might make a buck, AND that's if you bombard your friend/family wechat circle with ads nonstop, the thing is its entry barrier is so damn low that only international students do it as a side gig, government is catching up too to make it harder for individual to sell through customs tax, in current year, I'd say forget about it, even minimum wage is better than that shit

They do that by breaking the rules that were set up to make sure society doesn't fall apart.

But the chinese love taking business risks and are more driven to get what they want even if it means screwing over others right?

I dont have that attitude. No abc would dare cheat in an exam. No abc would buy 20 iphones to resell for a profit.

I want to have that attitude, thats how the chinese thinks right? Im obviously generalising but for tier 1 cities. I can learn those in china can't i?

Do it. It sounds like an adventure you would remember for the rest of your life. Even if it's shit it's still an experience.

I'm envious as fuck.

ABC is Air Batu Campur m8.

China's a bit of a dump. I worked there for 6 months on a contract to do some engineering because the locals essentially got fed up with the local bullshitters saying they could do something and delivered nothing, so they got an angry white man to do it.

To be honest, the reason your parents probably left there are something you need to talk to them about because the straight dope is that the country is that its rife with nepotism, corruption and flat out incompetence to the point of the whole society having a collective psychopathic disorder. This isn't a really good environment to find your own arsehole amidst a billion other arseholes seeking to fuck each other over. Hong Kong is slightly less messed up, but its got enough of the mainlanders trying to still re-brain the locals into being good little leftist shitheads.

In saying that, there are some good people there but they're very few and far between and ones you'd actually trust are an even smaller fraction of that.

>This isn't a really good environment to find your own arsehole
Yes this is what im trying to do. I want to find my own arsehole. I know i have the capacity for it. My past experience just turned me into a coward

30k doesnt even matter its just for travel expenses and for costs related to improving myself. Im not starting a business on 30k. It's just money i use until i have developed confidence.