12 years later... what's the consensus?

12 years later... what's the consensus?

Catchy songs with terrible lyrics. It's alright.

Mocked because Billy Joe doesn't have the cred to be angry about America, but nonetheless their second most listenable album after Dookie.

I'd be angery too if I had to grow up in California.

hot garbage

Pretty much the blueprint for every shitty song they've put out since

Pop punk is muff gabbage

lots of great guitar songs

>muh dookie
>muh pop punk sucks
get over yourself it's 12 years fuckign old

p good

irredeemable trash

more of these pls

yea

the fact that it still gets such a reaction from people is punk as fuck desu

exactly

The edge oozing from this album makes my ears bleed.

kek saved

The edgiest attempt at a concept album.
When I used to go to church in middle school, this kid was obsessed with Green Day and American Idiot. He'd wear black, chains, shit like that, and make edgy references to the album like "I'm the Jesus of Suburbia" or some shit. He'd also always do GD covers at retreats and any chance at open mic. He overplayed the dramatics in Good Riddance quite a bit.

That was me

You just know that guy has blocked all of that from his memory in order not to die of a cringe-regret overdose. Still probably sneaks into his mind every now and than as he tries to sleep at night.

I liked it. Jesus of Suburbia and Holiday are my personal favorites on the CD.

Holiday>Boulevard of Broken Dreams>American Idiot>Wake me up When September Ends>Jesus of Suburbia>The rest

the rest are still really fucking good though.

It was bomb as fuck when I was 12
I remember sitting under a wooded area in my friends front yard and we shared earbuds while listening to it on my portable CD player that had like the anti-skip technology or whatever. That was a really great CD player.

now-a-days? Uhh. It's really nostalgic. I can't really judge it fairly due to that. I think if I'd never heard of it before and listened to it today I'd give it like a 5/10, but I can't really say.

terrible boring trash

even 13 year old me new it was garbage

Your spelling clearly shows it.

You have to be 18 to post here, kiddo

Nimrod > Dookie

fuck you faggot

kys

Holiday's basic as fuck tho
Boulevard was the GOAT

Thought it was fantastic when I was a teen and had listened to so few rock albums that I could count them on a single hand. I still give it a nostalgia listen once a year or so, it's not that bad of an album.

On another note, has there been another truly huge rock album since this one? I can't really think of any that hit a generation of teenagers and sold millions of copies the way this one did in the last 12 years.

Arctic Monkeys - WPSIATWIN

We ranking now?

1. Give Me Novocaine
2. Jesus Of Suburbia
3. Letterbomb
4. St. Jimmy
5. Homecoming
6. Holiday
7. American Idiot
8. Are We The Waiting
9. She's A Rebel
10. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
11. Wake Me Up When September Ends
12. Whatsername
13. Extraordinary Girl

12 years later it's still crap

you need to hook yourself up to a lie detector to find out user...

It was probably the first album I listened to alot when I was like 10, so it holds a special place in my heart I guess. I listened to it a few times when I was older and its actually ok, kinda catchy songs and all. But still I just can't take anyone who actually listens to pop punk after the age of 15 seriously...

Ima be honest, most here hate it because
A.) Butthurt conservatists (muh bush)
B.) it's not a punk album
C.) It was probably that biggest mainstream album of the early 2000s.
It's an amazing pop rock concept album, with lyrics that mostly resonated with the youth. Sup Forums mainly consists of dads, so obviously it's out the window.

Agree

>lots of great guitar songs

Someone's smoking crack.

It's okay.

American Idiot falls into that category of sub-sub-Sup Forumscore, similar to Grimes' Visions (nobody talks about meme angels except grimes fans trying to defend her when defending her 'artistic ability'). There is no definitive general consensus on whether it's good or not, yet it creates so much discussion on here that while it perhaps may not be a definer of taste it is definitely a necessary listen.

I personally love it, but I don't know how much to attribute to growing up with it. I can definitely see why people can think it's one of the best or one of the worst albums of all time, but to ignore it's legacy is a terrible mistake.

Green day aren't punk

Thank you for your contribution! Now I know how The Beach Boys, Radiohead, and Swans must not be good, because they aren't punk! Not punk=shit.

Not even close to selling millions though

This

He didnt misspell anything

good shit go౦ԁ sHit thats some goodshit rightthere rightthere if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷM HO0OଠOOOOOOଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good shit

literally the worst conceivable ranking

AFI and MCR pulled off the "edgy mid 2000's teen angst" concept album better than Green Day ever did, imo.

Nah, GD was able to hit home with all teens regardless of their background while AFI and MCR mainly targeted emo kids.

Overhated. Its at least a 8.5/10

see Green Day live and Holiday will be one of the best fucking songs you'll ever see a band perform.

Your deduction lacks nuance, m9

1. JoS
2. Homecoming
3. Holiday
4. Novacaine
5. Are We The Waiting.
6. Whatsername
7. Letterbomb
8. BoBD
9. American Idiot
10. September
11. St. Jimmy
12. Extraordinary Girl
13. Rebel

Eh, if there's a runner up it's probably that one. I don't think it took the world by storm nearly as hard though.

Literally the only good pop punk album ever released.