BOWIE GENERAL THREAD!

Any and all Bowie discussion welcome here.

Favorite Bowie album/song?
Least favorite Bowie album/song?
New Bowie fans want song recommendations?
All Bowie discussion welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W60nQZrcCVs
youtube.com/watch?v=EsSlOGzPM90
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Favourite Bowie album/song?
Station to Station for album probably 5 Years for song
>Least favorite Bowie album/song?
Hours
New Bowie fans want song recommendations?
Start with Hunky Dory

Good choices, man. Here's mine.

Fav album: Diamond Dogs
Least Fav album: Never Let Me Down (Too obvious?)
Fav Song: Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing Reprise
Least Favorite Song: Wishful Beginnings

(Really hope more people join the thread :( )

i've only ever listened to ziggy stardust and wasn't a fan of it as an album

however when i've heard bowie songs on the radio i've enjoyed them

what album should i try next

Try Hunky Dory or Aladdin Sane, those albums have amazing production, especially the string work on Hunky Dory. I'm sure you'll love it if you give some songs on it a try.

If you tell me your favorite genre I can try to give more suggestions based on that (since Bowie's done almost every genre)

my favorite genre is twee pop

I don't know much about the genre, would you be able to describe some characteristics of it to me?

cute indie pop
here's an example song
youtube.com/watch?v=W60nQZrcCVs

Scary Monsters and Super Creeps. That album seems pretty close to the style you're looking for.

Welp this thread is probably gonna die. I tried.

nah u good, whats ur top five Bowie albums?

Mine Are:
1.Heroes
2.Low
3.Hunky Dory
4.The Man Who Sold The World
5.Aladdin Sane

R8 my taste

Needs more varied questions. Most of us have already answered "What's your favorite song?" etc. 5 million times

Yeah you're right man my bad.

Most underrated album bowie did? Favorite cover of his?? Best live album?

Well you can't go wrong with Bowie since a good chunk of his albums are perfect.

My top 5:
1. Diamond Dogs
2. Earthling
3. Aladdin Sane
4. Heathen
5. Black Tie White Noise

Hunky Dory
Favorite song changes constantly, currently been digging Big Brother

Least: Tonight/God Only Knows cover

Favorite Bowie: Low
Least Favorite: Debut Album
My Favorite Bowie song as of lately has been The Width of a Circle

For new listeners I recommend his most accessible which is Ziggy Stardust

hey i remember you from the last thread! May I ask what it is you like about his electronic albums? I liked earthling but i cant get into BTWN or Heathen as much. What did you think of 1.Outside?

Most underrated is for sure the man who sold the world. Its like if bowie wrote nirvana songs. Also crossdressing woman bowie is great, second only to mullet ziggy pirate bowie.

Nice choice for a favorite song, really underrated.

It sucks everyone hates Tonight though. I've always liked the album

Debut album was corny but not...TOO terrible. And yeah Ziggy is a good first choice for any Bowie newcomer.

So we all agree Tin Machine was Bowie's peak?

Oh yeah that was (mostly) me. Nice to see ya again!

To answer your questions in order For Black Tie my appeal was the brassyness and the awesome instrumental tracks (Especially Looking for Lester). I just LOVE brass instruments. And I always thought Bowie's vocals were fantastic on the album too (See You've Been Around and Nite Flites)

And for Earthling I've just always loved fast paced, distorted drum and bass songs. It's a GREAT album to dance to, favorites are Little Wonder and Dead Man Walking.

Outside had it's good moments but a LOT of weak moments too, along with Wishful Beginnings which I thought was one of the worst tracks he ever made. However there were a lot of great songs. Hallo Spaceboy, Hearts Filthy Lesson, Strangers When We Meet (especially the last one). Overall good but not as good as some of his others due to the skits and weak filler.

OH HEEEEEELL NAW.

I thought most Bowie fans agreed Tin Machine was a giant mistake...
(Aside from...you know...[ahem])

alright thank you maybe ill give btwn a relisten!

then you'd probably like Hunky Dory

For underrated, I like Reality. It's not amazing, but it's the best of his generally lame "modern rock" period.

His best covers are probably actually his Springsteen ones (Growin' Up/It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City).

and... I'm actually not super experienced with his live albums, now that I think about it.

Good list mane
1. Station to Station
2. "Heroes"
3. Scary Monsters
4. Low
5. Diamond Dogs

definitely check out Hunky Dory
youtube.com/watch?v=EsSlOGzPM90

Reality had one of my all time favorite Bowie songs, "Bring me the Disco King", a beautiful piece, though the album did have a few weakspots

(*cough* DAYS *cough*)

And yeah I ain't experienced with his live albums either. The only one I ever watched/listened to was the Reality Tour DVD. Great setlist.

thanks, yours is good too. Scary monsters is underrated af.

No prob. Oh and I forgot about Heathen since you asked about it. (My bad). Heathen just had a lot of musical experimentation I liked on the album (The distorted guitar on the first and last track, the distant drums in 5:15, a lot of the great horn/string sections throughout the album). And vocally as well the album was stunning, especially on the opener "Sunday".

Thanks!

did you like blackstar? I feel it always had a similar vibe to heathen, albeit a bit darker.

I enjoyed it to a lesser extent but yeah I thought it was a good album. Highlights for me were Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away.

That song is great, one of the best of his 2000's songs.

What's everyone's favorite Bowie eras??
For me it's a draw between the Funk era (1974-1976) and the Electric era (1993-1998) Though I do love all of them

White Duke/Berlin era he was at the top of his game.

Style wise: Ziggy
Music wise: Berlin

Definitely the Berlin Trilogy era, and his newest album was a great throwback to that style. Blackstar is still AOTY for me

Well if we're talking about his clothes I thought he had a really nice classy look in the early-mid 90s with the spiked hair and occasional stubble

Low and Lodger were perfect.
Heroes had ONE track I didn't like that much.

True, and who could forget this photoshoot during Berlin?

Which track?

Damn, a few of these could have been pretty good backup album covers for "Heroes".

It's a toss up between Plastic Soul/Duke Years or Berlin Era. I do love Halloween Jack in terms of look tho

The Secret Life of Arabia?

Sense of Doubt. I just thought the piano in the song was annoying. But all the other instrumentals I loved.

>TFW that's my favorite instrumental in Heroes
I personally find it beautiful

No I loved that one. One of my favorites. I remember when I was burning my own "best of" cd collection for my grandpa that was the other Heroes track I chose because it reminded me of Lodger.

I prefered V2 Schneider and Moss Garden. Can't decide from those 2 which I prefer of the instrumentals.

All three of those instrumentals are great in general

I agree

Favorite one's the third one in the first row on the first picture. IDK why it appeals to me.

Anyone have a favorite compilation album of his? I've been deciding between the UK version of "Best of Bowie" (because the us version is shit) and "Nothing Has Changed".

I want his shit so bad you dont even know

BUY IT ALL!!!
BUY IT ALLLLL!!
(Though personally I don't like compilations that cover such a small fraction of his career)

Nothing Has Changed has some essential Bowie songs and has the original version of Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)

Nothing Has Changed is best because it's 3 discs and contains a wide variety of all his eras. Changesonebowie is good if you just want a short one.

Yeah Nothing Has Changed seemed like the big winner.

I never really liked the one disc compilations because they usually cover so little of his career.

Whats the verdict on this? I see it rarely talked about by Bowie fans but I think it's quite good, if a bit basic.

I liked the original Sue better than the Blackstar version. More Jazzy.

I enjoyed it. A lot of pretty nice instrumentals. Personal favorites are the title track and South Horizon.

To each his own, personally love how intense the new version of Sue is. The Death Grips influence is easy to see on that track

Is this the boxset that costs like 400 dollars or something?

What are everyone's thoughts on this compilation album?

Honestly if I wanted a boxset of his work (especially one that pricey) I'd want it to cover as much of his career as possible, not just 5 years.

There's obviously nothing bad on it, but there's nothing truly illuminating. Most of the best outtakes and alternates aren't exactly rare. It was probably much cooler/more utilitarian to own back in '89, but today it's not even that great as a compiler—most of the albums aren't even represented by their best songs, or even that many period.

Yeah I think I'm gonna end up getting Nothing has Changed since that has the biggest span of the compilations and only has one or two bad tracks (This is Not America and Dancing in the Streets)

This album is god tier.

A lot of the Space Oddity songs don't have the same effect without the full orchestra behind them like they had on the studio version.

It's interesting hearing more stripped down versions of them though.

Well yeah they're still good of course I just prefer the versions with more lush, detailed instrumentals.

>still listening to memewie

geez louise lads he's dead

Okay, I really like Bowie as a pop-artist who kept re-inventing himself, sucking up inspiration like a sponge and his albums' sounds being on-point, but I don't think he is as good as people make him .
My favourite LP by him is probably "Heroes", having great ambient tracks like Sense of Doubt (fucking tense) and interesting art rock tracks inspired by krautrock or disco like "Heroes" (great engineering with the vocals by Eno) or The Secret Life of Arabia (those keys!). Aladdin Sane also has great tracks like the title track (dat avant-garde jazz) and Lady Grinning Soul ("She will be youuur living Eeeeend"); also The Prettiest Star (single version).
Low is like a proto-"Heroes" to me, to be honest. Not too bad (again, especially the ambient tracks), but not as pure; it is massively overrated in my opinion.
His early stuff is also not bad, The Man Who Sold the World and Hunky Dory are okay but still massively overrated, though they had catchy art pop/songwriter songs.
Outside is a little underrated but not nearly as good as contrarians make it, and still quite bad.
All his 80's stuff (including Scary Monsters and Super Creeps) is very derivative, and everything after Let's Dance (except Outside) until The Next Day was quite pure shit.
The Next Day is overrated, it's a quite bad album (the production and the vocals are super shit), but enjoyable for fans because of a few songs like Where Are We Now (which is like a 3.3/5.0 to me and sounds like it was written for "Heroes").
Blackstar is massively overrated though its ambitious production makes the title track and Lazarus really good (listen to the alternative/old version of Blackstar, it's quite boring). I think when Bowie realised he was going to die, he/his working mates decided to overhaul the album's sound. You can hear they are the centerpieces, and sadly other songs like Girl Loves Me have huge potential, but maybe they didn't have enough time to properly overhaul those tracks.