I never thought I would become "that guy" and get legitimately triggered about music...

i never thought I would become "that guy" and get legitimately triggered about music, but whenever I hear twenty one pilots or grimes and see their popularity I legitimately get angry about how awful they are

same with death grips

this

your taste in music is worse than the average grimes or t1p fan, i guarantee it.

I concur. Probably only listens to Sup Forumscore trash

>implying grimes is not Sup Forumscore

so he listens to grimes, huh?

>Radiohead
Okay, Mr. Patrician.

Do not compare Grimes to 21 pilots pls

shit dude i'm the same. just remember that humans are often tasteless idiots

see

convince me about grimes

youre right
>listens to it goes once
this chart is not accurate at all

it is accurate, and it's official chart from Sup Forums wiki

>accurate
>Sup Forums wiki

>>listens to it goes once
No, I've listened to whole discography, except BP, but I've read that it's something between TMS and JD, so I already know what to expect.

swap TMS with exmilitary

also TMR is not mucore

>this chart is not accurate at all
hello, newfriend

tfw you will never sit and contemplate the crashing waves with yorkey

TMS is more popular than Exm
and what is TMR?

this board is filled with non-functional adults who can't understand the idea of subjectivity, and can't handle their shit having a normal conversation about something unimportant like the music someone else likes. plus i hate all you pretentious snobs who act like you know shit about music when you don't go see live shit or even play music, what a joke

TMS with one less chromosome

i want to hold his hand and see where the horizon takes us

The entire point of Sup Forums to most of its users is to shit on other's taste and pretend to get too deep for something as soon as it gets slightly well known, thereby making them feel better about themselves for being so unique.

I wanna lick the sea salt off his face

no, it's because grimes is the only true rebel left in "indie" or "rock." she destroyed the bland rock sound expected of indie, and became controversial for that reason. she forced everyone to see that the genre of rock was dead, the same way radiohead did with kid a and kanye with 808s. kid a ended up being accepted as an alternative rock album and the sound of the genre in the future ('00s), 808s ended up being accepted as a hip hop album and the sound of the genre in the future (today), but they did that by rejecting and destroying their existing genre. grimes' previous album visions did the same with indie- rejecting and destroying what was expected and replacing it with synth pop. again, it determined the future of the genre. today "indie" may suggest music that sounds like visions more than music like the national or arcade fire.

then with art angels, she rebelled again, this time against the new consensus (which she had popularized) that indie rock = dead. art angels was primarily rock-inspired. grimes rejected guitar in her previous songs, which were dreamy and poppy, but every single song on the first half of AA is guitar driven, and some are aggressive. that's equivalent to how Radiohead removed guitars and rock (their old signature) from most of the first half of Kid A, and Kanye removed rapping (his old signature) on most of 808s.

rock is grimes background, she grew up on metal alt industrial punk, and then she got into the punk scene and she ended up as part of a collective of experimental artists making ambient and noise music. over time, grimes and several of these artists realized that although it's very easy to make mu/core music in their sleep, that kind of indie isn't creative or risky, it's all been done. so these artists began moving toward pop- the kind of sounds that at that time, were rejected by mu, p4k and indie fans. then when a pop sound was finally accepted, grimes rejected it herself to make aggressive rock. true patrician.

If you don't have an ear for production detail, I can't convince you, because that's where the genius lies in art Angels, and that's even where the emotion comes through. When she says "I think I love you" in the title track, there's a synth patch of someone screaming at the top of their lungs (probably her), that created a deep reaction in me. SCREAM sounds like rap is going to sound in 20 years or so, with an incredible dizzying and overwhelming amount of effects that feels like the rush you get when you climax during sex (which is what the song is about). If you like super knotty complex melodies and lyrics, and expert guitar playing, yeah you're gonna think art Angels sucks. But her melodies are still more complex than a lot of artists out there.

I mean you're probably joking but she grew up listening to Mariah Carey and shit.

Not the user you're responding to, but - interestingly enough - she actually DIDN'T grow up listening to that sort of stuff in her youth. If you go back and read the various interviews she's done it turns out she totally avoided listening to anything non-alternative for the first 20+ years of her life (hence why the existence of someone like Mariah Carey was A HUGE revelation to her in the late 2000s), which imo makes what she's doing now with pop music VERY interesting.

Do you also start screaming and slamming your arms on the desk?

>triggered grimefags

> probably thinks GYBE is a good band

rhythm >>>> melody

thom yorke knew that from kid a onward. he even said "i was tired of melody. i just wanted rhythm." and grimes knows that rhythm is most important.

grimes songs have melodies no less complex than anything being done by sufjan. her rhythms are exponentially more intense and intricate though.

it's not because there is anything uninspired about grimes' beautiful and unusual melodies that people hate her. it's because she does not leave it at that- as she did a bit more in her early work- instead she adds the most advanced rhythms of any pop (excluding jazz- but including rock, hip hop, r&b, dance, etc) artist today who is white (and most who are not).

her perfect melodies do not stand by themselves, they are rhythmically supported- something almost all rock and indie no longer understand how to do.

thom yorke understands the importance of rhythm in some of his work. his rhythmic sensibility in the amok title track, identikit, separator, 15 step, harrowdown hill, is very grimesian.

plus he probably loves grimes. i bet his ten year old daughter will be a stan if she isn't already. and nigel loves her.