What makes this album good? It sounds like a soundtrack for a Snow White musical

What makes this album good? It sounds like a soundtrack for a Snow White musical

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-YHQgSd9fzk
youtube.com/watch?v=Yr7zXskhy68
youtube.com/watch?v=6UUe3Q54qFg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thats kinda what people like about it

I like her butt

What makes it good though?

the horrible vocals is what people like about this shitty album

The lyrics are very pretty and her voice is unique

also, the instrumentation is very interesting and makes the long track runtimes feel quick

the ethereal instrumentation mixed with the poetic songwriting is transportive and alluring.

>horrible vocals

her voice is a pleb filter, it's great

Better album

She's a good songwriter lyrically and melodically, the vocals are great and powerful even if her voice is off putting to some people, and the album has a very unique sound.

close but no

wtf, she was the mum in the Kids video by MGMT

yea, plebs don't even like EXPERIMENTAL music like I do hehehe
Me, as a real avant knoledger, must be into all the ground breaking acts such as: Joanna Newsom, Grimes, Death Grips
Jesus, I am so into music...
(stupid person (you))

sad!

You think you're really smart

I LOOOOVE trap music Thugger Pitchfork told me it's good so I listen to BANGERS! I was born in le right generation because I am so into music: Mingus and post punk are sooo good (plebs don't know about my The Cure) I am also a philosopher of music (Avalanches) because I read REVIEWS OF BNM by Pitch(Talking Heads)fork Media (plebs don't know about my Fantano) (Radiohead is GOAT experimental band not pop rock like Gorillaz)

i like that her voice is sorta dissonant and abrasive - to me it makes the music way more dynamic. "pretty" vocals over the disney-esque and ethereal arrangements plus the delicate songwriting would just make it too..twee for me, i think. honestly that's partly why i could never get into sufjan stevens.

But Have One On Me did that better

this

Not really, her singing improved significantly on Have One On Me

I am intellectual into music (De la Soul is GOAT) and turbo avant free jazz (Coltrane eric dolphy) I am an imbecile (DAE DEVO??) Did the man who invented avant garde music listened to DEATH GRIPS? Plebs don't know about my rare pepes and Radiohead (Swans) Dubstep

I hear no dissonance... I guess it can be abrasive to certain people

Yikes

Who triggered you?

I don't like Joanna Newsom

I think it was the guy that said her voice is a pleb filter

Well it sorta is
Was he trying to prove that point?

Why of course, my fellow patrician pitchfork reader, fantano watcher, death grips listener, rym reviewer, tmp follower, beefheart admirer, Sup Forums browser, chart maker, daily poster, meme laugher, fedora tipper, scaruffi poster patrician!

You better listen to some Grimes. Try Halfaxa.

Hell no braw, Grimes is for fedora waifu poster, I only like real avant music (Paul Simon) Burial is good (REAL budspet) hurrr

Strangle on your own dick, god that hurt to read

i hate you

Grimes is for people with good taste.

>the dogs were snapping
>so you cuffed their collars
>while i climbed the tree house
>and how i hollered
>'cause, she'd lain there still as stone
>in my palm for a lifetime or two
>then saw the treetops, cocked her head and up and flew

i think i listened to ys for about a year before i actually parsed that little story about the bird flying into the window

anyway after all these years i like milk eyed mender the best, all the albums are brilliant but after hearing all of them a million times i pay more attention to the songwriting than i do the arrangements and end up listening to the non-arranged album a lot more than the others.

That's not Divers

i love joanna but for some reason that album does nothing for me. maybe it'll click one day...

she's really good at making long, multi-faceted songs not boring and flow exceptionally well

LITERALLY female Jeff Mangum

jeff mangum wishes

Let me stop you right there and ask what sounds bad about narrative-focused music with mystical and pastoral motifs (re:Snow White musical)

>not posting the best part

Then in my hot hand, she slumped her sick weight.
We tramped through the poison oak, heartbroke and inchoate.

>But Have One On Me did that better
No, Have One On Me is comparatively corny, grown-up, and dull. A lot of that album rubs me the wrong way, like that "Oooo oooo" build up on the title track. It just sounds grating and annoying. Joanna Newsom was really at her best as a songwriter with the Milk-Eyed Mender. Too bad she didn't realize that and thought she had to overshadow it with that voice that obviously isn't her own and she doesn't use on any other album. Ys is her best album by default but it still doesn't sound as sharp and cunning as the Milk-Eyed Mender. Basically every Joanna Newsom album is almost good.

QUICK POST YOUR FAVE JNEW SONG

youtu.be/-YHQgSd9fzk

youtube.com/watch?v=Yr7zXskhy68

youtube.com/watch?v=6UUe3Q54qFg

k i n g f i s h er

if she was around in the 70s she would end up in a symphonic prog band like Renaissance

I think she would go to somewhere like Pentangle or Fairport Convention.

This just made me realize Sufjan Stevens sounds like a less abrasive male version of newsom

>Too bad she didn't realize that and thought she had to overshadow it with that voice that obviously isn't her own and she doesn't use on any other album

it's not like she just decided to change her voice. her vocal chords were fucked up and she had to have surgery for it, it literally changed her singing voice

That doesn't explain the drastic difference in her singing voice from MeM to Ys

if she was around in the 70s she would literally be shirley collins, but of course most newsom fans don't know who that is

Both of them got way hotter through the years.

me too good butt.

Drunk Joanna is my fetish

shirley collins is more or less a household name you toolshed

She just seems so...normal.