Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DjKQmHUv8
youtube.com/watch?v=FweJYmdiP5k
youtube.com/watch?v=7Nz9jR_AuLM
loni.bandcamp.com/releases
youtube.com/watch?v=U76loq-MttU
youtube.com/watch?v=CHqR1Rql5r8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The problem with outsider music threads on Sup Forums is that most of it really isn't outsider music, just weird music.

The defining factor of outsider music is isolation from the existing musical community. But every example, from Johnston to Beefheart to even Moondog, were involved and aware of the music around them and influenced by it.

To a lot of people it just seems to be music made by the mentally ill; I've seen people claim Brian Wilson was outsider music.

Gary Wilson, to use your example OP, was very familiar with normal pop music. The fact he made unsettling, off kilter pop music, doesn't make him outsider music.

If you're looking for weird music, though, try the Savage Young Taterbug, Wicked Witch, Caroliner, and Inflatable Boy Clams.

I will check those, thanks! But now I'm interested in the definition of outsider that you are talking about, do you know any "true" outsider artists then? someone who played music without having any knowledge of normal music?

So are The Shaggs the only valid example or somefin?

This album is dope OP, guy built advanced homemade synths in the mid 60s and did some seminal early electronic music and some notable kids' records - this album was made in the late 70s (and wasn't released until decades later) and reflects him as a bitter alcoholic spouting sarcastic, profanity-ridden lyrics, many directed towards the music industry. Really cool sounding analog electronic instrumentation, I'd say ahead of its time

Nice, I'll check it out, thanks!

Daniel Johnston

I would still count Ariel Pink's early albums as outsider music. He seemed to have a lot of problems with depression at this time, no band etc. He's a social media whore and a sellout now but in the early days he was kind of a pioneer of this kind of thing

Tonetta is the man, meme songs aside he's written some amazing and heartbreaking love and pop tunes and he's enriched my life a lot in the last couple years
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DjKQmHUv8

DR Hooker
Bobb Trimble
Peter Grdzien

I love Tonetta

Music sounds like being an outsider despite being extremely mainstream.

Lol

If you haven't listened to this you should, it's a pretty cool mix between anti-folk and hip-hop.

is this Kimya and Aesop? wtf?

lol yeah
youtube.com/watch?v=FweJYmdiP5k

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he was at John Cage's house being mentored

>not picking R. Stevie Moore instead

Doldrums shits on any RSM album imo, I even think Stevie would agree

Trout Mask Replica

Hasil Adkins is considered outsider, right? He heard Hank Williams on the radio and didn't know he had a whole band and thought he played all the instruments himself.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Nz9jR_AuLM

>Savage Young Taterbug

his album from earlier this year is really excellent, catchy and greasy and rich, like a truck stop cheeseburger

Jandek perhaps?

loni.bandcamp.com/releases

also that

youtube.com/watch?v=U76loq-MttU

This is meme, not outsider.

Jerry Solomon
Dane Sturgeon
Heitkotter
BJ Snowden
Marc Mundy
Vyto B
Kenneth Higney

If you're a Zappa fan and don't know Wild Man Fischer then KYS.

youtube.com/watch?v=CHqR1Rql5r8

damn i miss highschool now