Is Japanese hard?

Is Japanese hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:1000_Japanese_basic_words
vocaroo.com/i/s0BgsTaUjX9l
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Extremely hard. But learning a hard thing you want to learn is easier than learning an easier thing you don't want to learn. You CAN learn Japanese.

yes
imagine that you're learning chinese without any tones to differentiate between homophones even though the writing system is based on chinese but you use three different writing systems not one and also the pronunciation of consonants and some vowels is ruthlessly precise, plus how grammar works is completely foreign to european languages

>homophones
w-what did you just call me?

yes but unlike English it gets easier the more you learn so you can learn if you stay committed. listening comprehension is probably the most difficult thing though

at about what stage does it get easier in terms of ability?

English is more harder like my dick

I think it gets significantly easier when once you start getting familiar with the word order, and you know what order to expect information to come in, since it's basically inverted from english. i think it just clicks at a certain point but obviously it depends how consistent you are. the biggest hurdle IMO is vocabulary not only because it has nothing in common with English, but since Japanese has so few sounds compared to English it has tons of homonyms. This pronunciation easy but listening comprehension very hard.

>This pronunciation easy
this *MAKES pronunciation easy...

I'm fluent in Latin so word order is not a problem at all (it's a free for all).

Could you estimate some basic goals to achieve before it gets easier?

In my opinion, it's not that difficult, because most grammar follows regular patterns unlike in english where everything is a special case. Plus the language is syllabic, which is always a plus. The only thing I really dislike is the use of kanji. If they only wrote in hiragana/katakana, it would be a perfect language.

are those all actual different symbols?

>If they only wrote in hiragana/katakana

noooooooo

inb4 you get some autist who tells you that kanji acts like spaces so it would ruin everything even if japanese video games did it for years

There are far too many words written the same, and the lack of spaces makes raw kana unreadable to a large extent

午牛

>If they only wrote in hiragana/katakana

that's like robot speaking

well, I may have been exaggerating a bit when I said it would be perfect. It's just always amazed me that they use china's screwed up writing system AND their own in stead of just their own.

err right is cow?

Hiragana and Katakana aren't that difficult. The problem is the one million signs you have to learn in total (including Hiragana/Katakana).

I'm not good at teaching, and I'm not sure how far you are, but just from my experience I would recommend above all learning as much vocabulary as you can and its Kanji, and also to draw the kanji because it makes it way easier to remember. not all words have kanji, but all words can be written phonetically

kanji is actually easier to draw than it looks because every kanji is comprised mostly of either katakana characters カタカナ or one of the simpler ~4 stroke kanjis like 木、月、生 etc and the more basic ones are easy to associate with their meaning. I would say,

learn the kanas (hiragana and katakana)
learn how to construct a basic subject-object-verb sentence, and verb conjugations (they're very comprehensible)
learn how to write/say numbers (there are kanji for numbers but Japanese uses arabic numbers too)
learn vocabulary

and at each stage find as many sentences as you can whose meaning in English you know or is provided. weblio.jp and jisho.org are dictionary sites that both have a big database of example sentences that are translated both ways. and also rikaichan is a good browser addon that lets you hover over a word to display its dictionary entry. on top of just being generally handy, it's useful for "hovering" through a sentence to figure out why its structure gives it the meaning it does (when you know the meaning or it's provided). sorry if this post is a mess but i wish you luck.

It's the easiest language to learn.

I'm actually taking it next uni semester lads.

What am I in for?

>kanji acts like space
i've never heard that. those faggots are just mad because they don't realize that pictographs actually make reading comprehension easier. kanji is hard, but it's way better than writing everything in kana. look at the following sentence for example. sure you can pronounce it if you know your kana but looking at it makes me want to kill myself

にんげん として おかしい おとこ が おんな の かいもの が よい の を りかい できない と いう おなじ レベル の はなし だろ

The pronunciation is easy at least.

oh also
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:1000_Japanese_basic_words

btw write kanji characters as much as you can each step of the way

That will probably happen in the future. Today a lot of young Japanese can't write kanji because they only use phones or their keyboard. Many can't read half of the kanji because they're too uncommon.

drop in gpa

that's kind of what I expected honestly

凄く見にくい。読むのに疲れるぞ…

その通り

>no 太
bud why

I can speak and write Japanese but i can't read it. shit Hanja.

Only for dirty gaijin. Grorious nihoners can learn up to 10000+ words a day.

in the first place, this sentence doesn't make sense as far as I imagine or analyze my experience or such.

>counters
dropped

Well then add spaces
They do thay in childrens books

vocaroo.com/i/s0BgsTaUjX9l

ですですですですですですですですですですですですですですです

鬱麟鑑鷹驚襲籠鰯鶴鶯露魔躍艦顧鐘響騰...etc

potatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotato

The learning curve is just protecting us from autism. Japs invented the shittiest language ever just to stop foreings from masturbating to their precious doujins in internet in the year 2016.

Fucking nips, always a step ahead of us.

>Sees 鼠 instead of 鼡

I thought they simplified that character?

>write Japanese but i can't read it
why Kim kun!?

Only two. 犬 太

we have to write hanja by 新字体.
you have to thank about people who made 新字.
When we write 'koe' be hanja, we write 聲 by our own hand.

韓字. I can't read it correctly. my grandparents know how to read that.

indeed fingol kun.

I found writing, and reading it hard.

Learning grammar and particles are pretty easy so far.

basically you DON'T have to learn our language and vice versa.

I like learning it.
Plan on getting a job as a translator.
Maybe for politicians, probably for a company.
Then probably go into real estate.
Worst case scenario I become an English teacher in Japan, or Japanese teacher in US.

>mfw not only do they use shit tier traditional Chinese but the meaning of kanji is context dependant
why

Maybe, but their dicks are so tiny it can barely be called """hard"""

I wish I could read japanese so I could play all the untranslated vidya that will never get an english release.

>Maybe for politicians

Pretty sure your proficiency needs to be pristine for that, especially if you're going to translate directly.

Also, it's hard to find full-time work as a translator, jobs are far and few between.

t. A guy that has done some translating work (not Japanese).

When are they using Traditional Chinese?
Examples:
圖 亂 變 邊 觀 關 獻 險 鹽 Trad
図 乱 変 辺 観 関 献 険 塩 Jap
图 乱 变 边 观 关 献 险 盐 Simplified

Thats why I thought of the back ups being a teacher in the US or Japan for the other language.

おはようございます、アメリカ君!

日本語は難しいけど勉強できるよ!一生懸命勉強したら、日本を楽しむことができるよ!

Traditional is disgusting to write, but radicals in ot made more sense and made remembering it easier imho.
If only chinese would leave some of the simplified chars as it was...

The simplification process was actually an attempt to change Chinese into a PinYin style language, like modern Vietnamese (they previously used Chinese characters too). However the progress only made to the first batch of simplified characters, the second batch was tested but scrapped as it was unpopular. Some were changed more to be based off sound such as 墙壁>垟坒, some were made even more simple such as 留>畄,宣>㝉, and some are made to look more descriptive of the actual meaning such as 矮>仦. There were little optimization done to reconsider reinstating some 2nd simplification while removing some first simplification, which is why there are situations such as 随 having no 工 whereas 惰 still having the 工,when in contrast the traditional have 工 on both characters and the 2nd simplification have no 工 on both characters, making it more confusing for some people.

日本語を知っているのは出来ない

Donald trump
kek

>知っているのは出来ない

nù míng nú tǔ luàn fǔ
Noominoo Toorunfoo
>Does not work as intended in chinese

>pic
stop making up bogus signs.
only those which really exist on it are 大、太、犬.

Wow, you sure know a lot, user!
You wouldn't happen to be an actual Japanese person, would you?!

>Does not work
We use same 漢字
but, pronunciation is different.
怒do 鳴naru 奴do 吐to 乱ran 腐pu

Interesting. Although i dont think that it would be possible to switch it to pinyin-ish, since There are same words with same tones but with different hieroglyphs and meanings, as far as i know. Well, thats my opinion any least.

>only write in hiragana/katakana
何故アメリカ人は復活祭を祝いませんか?
なぜアメリカじんはふっかつさいをいわいませんか?

天皇は、日本国の象徴であり日本国民統合の象徴であって、この地位は、主権の存する日本国民の総意に基づく。
てんのうは、にっぽんごくのしょうちょうでありにっぽんこくみんとうごうのしょうちょうであって、このちいは、しゅけんのそんするにっぽんこくみんのそういにもとずく。

They can't.

Step1: Forget all about Anime stuff

Step2: You lose the reason to learn Japanese

Pronunciation, hiragana/katakana, and some basic things, no.
Well, you are a english native speaker so I guess you will have to learn pronunciation. Good thing about us, native spanish speakers, is that we can skip that part.

Well, there's some nice literature and history.

But honestly if I was learning languages for literature I'd learn fucking czech first.

But Japanese people are awesome, and it's interesting to speak with them on japanese language.

I can say the same to people in the whole world.
Anyways T-Thank you(n*´ω`*n)