How many languages can one realistically be fluent in?

How many languages can one realistically be fluent in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qrDPjGHAuk0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kató_Lomb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

all of them

English is really the only worthwhile one though

One of our more prominent scholars in the 19the century was apparently fluent in around 20 languages

>slovenia

Literally who?

In a lifetime?For sure at least 5 languages from different origins if they are semi serious about it or a lot more, like said, if they dedicate their life to it.

Yes, I know there are many people who claim to be able to speak up to 72 languages but I want to know how many can one be fluent in as if they were his native language.
I mean, I'm quite fluent in English. If I fuck up some sentences it's because I never have the chance to practice it with an actual person, to speak and not just to type. So I can say I'm fluent in two languages.
I doubt most of those people have this level of fluency speaking all those languages. See Ziad Fazah.

There are people who can switch to differences and converse normally but less than ten is a good upper limit anymore the upkeep would be too much

differences = difference languages*

>Celtibernian
Whoa that shit has been extinct since the 1st century BC.

youtube.com/watch?v=qrDPjGHAuk0

I always knew education in the southern hemisphere was bad, but this...

I can believe it since the wealthy could afford a life of scholarly pursuits.

I was ready to rag on his Mando because these hyperpolyglots always sound terrible, but his accent is impressive.

Yeah, his Italian was surprisingly good. Excellent, actually. No wrong articles, no words borrowed from Spanish, he's even got a bit of Northern/Emilian accent. Nice.

Is Spanish borrowing that bad in Italy?

Kinda. Many foreigners often use "de" instead of "di" and "bueno" instead of "bene/buono".

This is often the case with polyglots who make videos on the internet. But his Italian whoa, man! Flawless.

Guilty. I also keep saying muito instead of molto

I'm aiming for 7, currently working on my 4th. If I make it to 7 though I'll have to just keep going. But I think you'll almost always be better in your native language than anything you learn since you'll encounter so many new words on a regular basis. I still learn new English and Spanish vocabulary at roughly the same rate because I read quite a lot.

Anywhere from none to 40 and more, depending on how elite you are.

4 plus your native language, it's max in my opinion.Of course we aren't talking about Duolingo's "fluency".

>no Wymysorys
picture discarded

If you have the time and necessity you can learn them.

Either as leisure, trade or just it being a part of life.

>Kató Lomb (Pécs, February 8, 1909 – Budapest, June 9, 2003) was a Hungarian interpreter, translator and one of the first simultaneous interpreters in the world.

>In the interview given to Hetek newspaper (1998),[2] she lists the following as the 16 languages she earned money with: English, Bulgarian, Danish, French, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Polish, German, Italian, Russian, Romanian, Spanish, Slovak, and Ukrainian.
BUT:
>In the foreword to the first edition of her book How I Learn Languages (1970), she says:[3]

>“I only have one mother tongue: Hungarian. Russian, English, French, and German live inside me simultaneously with Hungarian. I can switch between any of these languages with great ease, from one word to the next.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kató_Lomb

So generally speaking she was quite fluent in 16 (actually over 16) foreign languages, but only four of them didn't require any previous preparation. She is good example, because her native Hungarian "separated" her from other languages (I mean that Hungarian is so isolated, that she had to learn other languages with similar effort).

>She is good example,
a good example

Good post. Thank you.

>slovenian intellectuals

Completely depends on your priorities in life. What you want to spend your time doing.

What do you mean by fluent?

I'm bilingual at a relatively high level because I work in two languages which demand native level work to be done. Regular "sounds normal" bilingual people usually falter when asked to speak on a subject they don't talk usually about in one language or another. (That which true natives would have no problems accomplishing)

I've only ever seen high level bilingual + "sounds normal" third language. Any higher usually sounds like an obvious non native due to accents or lack of articulation.

The man made important contributions to the Slovene language before Canada even existed