My girlfriend showed me this album. God damn this is a solid 9/10, maybe even a 10/10...

My girlfriend showed me this album. God damn this is a solid 9/10, maybe even a 10/10, but I'm really not into the rest of her music, mostly pop punk and what not.

I already listened to Daisy and Deja, liked them but not as much as this. What's a good path to go from here?

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/user/icarian_flight
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZkqjMpi_nU
youtube.com/watch?v=4dKo0l1WzFI
youtube.com/watch?v=4AKs7Ag9kZg
youtube.com/watch?v=o3QeEvgMG1s
youtube.com/watch?v=H3egMs22zjg
youtube.com/watch?v=0pJlZTY2Qlk
youtube.com/watch?v=oPJw9-uWIRE
youtube.com/watch?v=_M1BXPkSISE
youtube.com/watch?v=_v2rehPAf5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=fGE6g4d0HZs
youtube.com/watch?v=W_t9ikJmu5w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

mewithoutyou

Nothing you've reached the pinnacle of emo music

>emo

Fight Off Your Demons, officially released as Unreleased Demos 2006. Your Favorite Weapon is pretty good too imo. They've only had three songs since Daisy: Out of Range, Mene, and I Am a Nightmare.

Other artists I'd check out are Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Slint, Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon, Neutral Milk Hotel, Jawbox, The Smiths, and Sufjan Stevens.

Taking back Sunday
The lead singer for brand new is a huge douchebag

You're a fucking idiot

>not emo

i mean not really, but mewithoutyou is a good band. also la dispute and touche amore. have fun

Is this 2001?

Jesse Lacey is a god amongst men mate
Don't be talking shit

I already know Taking Back Sunday is another one of her favorites, not really my thing as far as I've heard.
We actually saw BN live with Modest Mouse at Merriweather Post Pavilion on the floor, it was a fucking awesome show. Already familiar with Slint, NMH and Sufjan too, but I'll check out the rest and this Thank you friends

Try Daisy. It's the album that came after The Devil and God. Brand New take on a much darker and heavier tone as well as abstract subject matter. It's been received with lots of mixed reviews but I think it's great. Definitely wanna play in loud in quality headphones or in your car. Other albums that I'd recommend that are not BN related:

The Shepard's Dog - Iron & Wine
Figure 8 - Elliott Smith
Pinkerton - Weezer
Bleach - Nirvana (if you haven't already heard it)
Put Your Ghost to Rest - Kevin Devine
Mean Everything to Nothing - Manchester Orchestra
You in Reverse - Built to Spill

Why You In Reverse?

have fun with your mislabeled pop punk bud

are we talking about Your Favorite Weapon because that's Pop Punk, not TD&G

is there a better Built to Spill album?

It's not bad but I think it's generally agreed that YIR is one of their least-good albums, it just strikes me as a worse version of Perfect From Now On

Brand New is embarrassingly almost all I listen to.
Just listen to other stuff I listen to. I probably love them the same reason you do.

last.fm/user/icarian_flight

If I were recommending Built to Spill for a Brand New fan I'd go for There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Keep it Like a Secret.

Car and Distopian Dream Girl are some of Jesse's favorites.

I'm drunk and this song makes me feel things.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZkqjMpi_nU

Doesn't one of the songs on YFW rip off Distopian Dream Girl?

Yeah, lmao, Failure By Design. That's why I assume it's one of his faves.
And he's covered Car a couple times live, I think a cleaner one of it was also a B side for the Quiet Things single.

how the fuck is Failure By Design a rip off of Distopian Dream Girl. Just trying to weed out the autism before it gets out of hand. Don't even tell me the riffs sound alike because that's not true.

It's literally the exact same riff. Are you deaf?
youtube.com/watch?v=4dKo0l1WzFI
youtube.com/watch?v=4AKs7Ag9kZg

Oh they are definitely inspired. I'm not saying it's a ripoff, I'm just saying it's definitely something they were listening to at the time. Jesse has never tried to hide that he takes a lot of blunt inspiration, but they turn it into something completely different. Like some of the lines from Degausser were from a Roky Erickson song, Noro follows the same structure as another of his favorite bands, Archers of Loaf's Dead Red Eyes, stuff like that. He even sometimes sings the lines from Yellow during The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot because he knows he used basically the same chords. Those chords are also the same as trailer trash by MM.

no u. the first 4 chords might be the same but they're completely different riffs.

some specifics by the way

Modest Mouse - Life Like Weeds
One of my all time favorite MM songs (and songs in general), it has a lot of the vibes from Out of Range too.
youtube.com/watch?v=o3QeEvgMG1s

Carissa's Wierd (Mat song) - Ugly Valentine
youtube.com/watch?v=H3egMs22zjg
Carissa's Wierd (Jenn song) - Sofisticated Fuck Princess Please Leave Me Alone youtube.com/watch?v=0pJlZTY2Qlk
Carissa's Wierd (Both) - You Should Be Hated Here
youtube.com/watch?v=oPJw9-uWIRE

Carissa's Wierd is a different genre but I think they're some of the only who can capture the same emotional level, it's different though. But if you love one I think you'd love the other.

Archers of Loaf - Dead Red Eyes (Major inspiration for Noro)
youtube.com/watch?v=_M1BXPkSISE
Radiohead - Climbing up the Walls
youtube.com/watch?v=_v2rehPAf5Y

youtube.com/watch?v=fGE6g4d0HZs

youtube.com/watch?v=W_t9ikJmu5w

It's the same thing, except Failure By Design only repeats the very beginning of the riff, the first 2 and a half seconds or so.

na m8. ur fukin wrong