Probably the best example of how The stat geeks have destroyed whatever integrity was left in the game of baseball

Probably the best example of how The stat geeks have destroyed whatever integrity was left in the game of baseball.

Once upon a time, you used to let your pitcher face the team's best batter, at least a few times per game.

You don't remember 2004 Barry Bonds do you?

why tho?

isnt the point of the game to win?

this is just like diving in soccer, if you want people to not do it, you need to make the rules (AND their enforcement) reflect that

You think Harper is the first batter pitchers were ever scared of?

Bonds was int walked with the bases loaded

This has nothing to do with stats you dumbass

>one of the most dangerous hitters in baseball

>PITCH TO HIM YOU FUCKING ASPIES

(You)

holy shit i would get pissed. he would have broken 100 if the cowards had thrown to him.

> i don't understand the rules of baseball and instead choose to behave like a petulant child on an uzbekistani watercolor forum

He was so pissed he stopped eating ten years later

i understand that it's within the rules. that's what i don't like. intentional walk should be banned.

Then the pitcher would just throw as off target as possible

Stopped eating oral steroids

Intentional walks save time dumbshit. If you banned it they would still walk them. They would just be more subtle about it. What are you going to do, ban balls?

Eh, it's not seen often enough to be a huge problem. Plus the keks when the guy after knocks in the guy that got walked makes it worth it

yeah, but he'd still have to make an effort to place it, and there would be a bigger risk of a wild pitch. much better than "catcher walks away from the plate and pitcher lobs him a softie" faggotry.

see also
>saves time
adding 3 minutes to a 3 1/2 hour game a dozen times a season is a price i'd be willing to pay.

Maybe harpers teammates should stop being so shot that they can't pitch around him

i don't give two shits about harper other than the fact that he's a victim of the worst rule in baseball.

This also. At least put Murphy behind him, hes been pretty hot all year.

The trick is to have a great cleanup hitter to make them regret giving that IBB.

When what would have been solo shots turn into two run bombs, that is when pitchers and managers learn to pitch to the #3 hitter.

>Bonds was int walked with the bases loaded

Based Showalter

It's part of the game faggot. Tell Harper to play better

Zimmerman shouldn't be such a bitch, he only made them pay one time with a "double" that as actually an error by Bryant

but the nationals are in the AL
or do you mean the neighborhood play

>pitchers never intentionally walked batters before advanced states
Neck urself

>intentional walk should be banned.

I would just bean the batter then, One pitch to send him to first instead of risking four pitches that have to be off target but still catchable by my catcher

You don't see Trumbo and Machado getting IBB'd even though they're better than Harper, you know why? The Orioles actually have a team around them

>le get thrown out stealing third with two outs and Chris Davis batting with the team down by 2 runs man
>better than Harper

Laffin

What is the point of IBB when you can use HBP?

Just read though this thread and it made me realise that baseball is even more shit than I thought it was

>le run into a wall and get KO'd man because he has no defensive skills
>better than Manny
Why do you Nats/Redskin fans have such an inferiority complex when it comes to Baltimore teams?

>I would just bean the batter then

sure ya would. because you're just that much of a badass. and besides, intentionally hitting batters never ends poorly...

>Implying teams shouldn't try to win

You risk ejection

>but the nationals are in the AL

They won't eject without
1. a history between a pitcher and batter
2. tensions running hot during the series
3. warnings already being issued

>stat geeks

T. Someone who struggled with high school algebra

harper getting beaned 7 times in a row would qualify as tensions running hot

Why don't they just put the ball on some sort of tee apparatus where the ball just sits there waiting for the hitter to blast it and remove pitchers entirely? Everyone just wants to see homers and since there are now no pitchers, the DH problem is solved.

>Trumbo and Machado
>better than Harper
Wew lad.

or just have pitchers throw to their own team, instead of against the other team?

i think you just invented golf

Its the umpires discretion. He can toss the pitcher for one HBP.

Pretty sure they've hit in their last 11 at bats. In fact Manny had 2 HRs today, one being a grand slame, and Trumbo blasted one today as well

why don't we just have the pitcher just throw it vertically, it really puts the onus on the batter!

never go full retard

wait, I got it!
why don't we let batters use a bat 20 times larger and let them hit it in any direction

Very rare though, when that happens it a young ump trying to establish control of the game. Like that ump that tossed Ubaldo Jimenez last year, everyone with sense knows that Ubaldo has always had control issues and that HBP was in no way intentional

i want to see him tip that right into the pitcher's face

>inb4 edgemaster

I'll put my bat in your onus

Why is that guy dressed like he has a bomb to diffuse?

because cricket balls are hard as fuck and throwing at the batter is perfectly allowed and common unlike your pussy american sport

says the American....

flags on Sup Forums was a mistake desu senpai

i think its hilarious. some of my best laughs come from flag posting

Cricket players are usually malnourished pakis and manlets. They need the protection.

but the big strong australians always laugh at me and never take me seriously

I just realized he looks like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs

Harper is the best hitter on the planet. 11 at-bats where the guy has only made one out [and it was a sac fly] is a testament to the respect pitchers pay him.

If you want to know what Mark Trumbo is, we have 2744 PAs before this year that puts him at a .762 OPS hitter.

Let's see where everyone is sitting when July rolls around.

This says more about Ryan Zimmerman than it does Bryce Harper desu.

>but the nationals are in the AL

you wanna try that again?

>Harper is the best hitter on the plane

There's only one other guy you could even make an argument for and he's not better than Harper. He was just great first.

He should start swinging to get strikes and tempt them to try and get him out instead. Or at least fuck with them.

That makes no fucking sense at all m8.

No, he should just keep doing what he's doing. Not making outs is what makes a hitter good.

youre just mad made you look stupid. Go get em next time champ.

>Bryce Harper is good at baseball

hes a terrible outfielder. Played left, now hes in right cause the team realizes hes a liability to field balls

Can't wait until he signs a 500 million dollar contract with the Yankees and busts harder than anyone has busted before.

So he's a DH? Why's he in the NL? He's not even a real baseball player in my book. He's the baseball version of a kick returner in football

He won't bust. He has all-time talent and will have his ticket to the Hall punched before he's 30.

see

The DH is an abomination to the game. The pitcher used to be the best player on the team all around. Now its become tradition that pitchers have the batting skills of a cerebral palsy victim. AL has no managing skills required. The game runs itself. Maddon had to make tons of risky calls today and use a bunch of different pitchers to get the job done. Truly an art form. And Bryce playing in the field is part of the game. If you want his bat then you have to risk manage. Its the same reason schawbs played outfield.

Players like Rod Carew and Mel Ott did it. It's rare but not unprecedented. For a guy like Harper he's more valuable taking swings than just getting on base.

I'm not even sure what kind of point you're making. His defensive metrics have been up and down in his career, but he's certainly not at all bad.

He's hitting .320/.451/.646 since the beginning of last year. He is flat out destroying the baseball like only a very select few players have done in history.

>he's more valuable taking swings than just getting on base.
No, he isn't. Outs are the most precious commodity in a baseball game. Anytime a hitter doesn't make one, that's a positive outcome. By learning what pitches he can handle and drive, Harper has become the best hitter on the planet.

You honestly sound like those guys who used to whine about Ted Williams that we laugh at today.

Harper is legit
Bonds didn't have the same drug testing we have now and got away with chestnut oil usage or whatever the excuse was

>be me at summer camp
>playing tee ball
>shitlord older kid figures he can stand 6 feet away from tee and catch the ball or throw the batter out when girls and weak kids miss-hit
>dad walks in to pick me up as I come up to hit
>kid doesn't move
>hit Lazer line drive into his nuts
>he goes down and cries for the rest of the game
>dad laughs and buys me ice cream

>Probably the best example of how The stat geeks have destroyed whatever integrity was left in the game of baseball.

I'd be more concerned about the FUCKING PINK BAT.

God they have to push their SJW agenda in sports too.

>hurr durr respecting women

Its just a front to make you submit, why dont they just fucking donate to womens charities if they want to help women? Its all about starting with something reasonable like "hey lets wear pink to support breast cancer research" then it goes a little further with the NBA's "Hey men lets stop raping women" campaign.

What if they IBB the cleanup hitter.

Bottom line, this isnt that big a deal. You have to allow this or some pitchers would just throw the ball at the player.

>I'd be more concerned about the FUCKING PINK BAT.

They do that for mother's day. NFL are the ones that cuck the entire month of October

>only 3 minutes
Are you having a giggle 4th official? There's at least been 10 minutes.

Sup Forums pls go

> he doesnt want to show support and appreciation for his mother
>donating money to fight cancer is SJW
You know they auction off all the pink gear and donate all the money to womens charities right?
>muh SJW culture
Fuck off dick head. I hate SJWS just as much as the next guy but youre just being retarded at this point.

It's actually anti-SJW to associate the color pink with women

>SCOREBOARD

He's right though