AOTY Thread

AOTY Thread

Make your picks, post your picks, rate their picks.

>1. The Cactus Blossoms - You're Dreaming
>2. King - We Are King
>3. Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids - We Be All Africans
>4. Western Skies Motel - Settlers
>5. Sarathy Korwar - Day to Day
>6. Jack DeJohnette, Ravi Coltrane & Matthew Garrison - In Movement
>7. Martha High - Singing for the Good Times
>8. Ukandanz - Awo
>9. YG - Still Brazy
>10. Jesu / Sun Kil Moon - Jesu & Sun Kil Moon

2016; best year of music so far this decade?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8emUhESeA
youtube.com/watch?v=6GBdjjLJ8Qs
trustpunks.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=P38O0C74-hw
youtube.com/watch?v=i-BO6s03acM
youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-_5KP1Lws
youtube.com/watch?v=C1LUMMTIC6c
youtube.com/watch?v=rLeCMqjx41E
youtube.com/watch?v=T3PTg4OnRRs
youtube.com/watch?v=uRxlTeEg_Zg
youtube.com/watch?v=HWtHwRMxsfk
youtube.com/watch?v=xVUHk2G1TyM
youtube.com/watch?v=bXvTk-N0HKo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bampu

Will anything ever top The Astonishing?

Doubtful

Really the only game in town is for runner up.

It was Anderson Paak but now I'm kinda leaning toward Esperanza Spalding although she did just recently get in rotation for me so the dust hasn't exactly settled for me despite being six months old now.

current list until I finish my top 42, trying to get caught up on all the albums ive missed.

Is thta in order? Do you think that Pinegrove cover is a reference to Christianity's connection with Saturn worship? That album is called Cardinal afterall.

in no particular order, and I think Cardinal follows the narrator going home and reminiscing. Thats all there is to it.

The year hasn't been that great, definitely some top notch releases tho

Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exits
Trust Punks - Double Bind
Naked Lights - On Nature
Exploded View - s/t
Omni - Deluxe
Autechre - elseq
Siddiq and Vektroid - Midnight Run
James Ferraro - Human Story 3
Cheena - Spend The Night With...
Lithics - Borrowed Floors

The Descendents album has pretty cute interior artwork and stuff. Otherwise I just thought it was worthwhile for their song "sequel"

youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8emUhESeA

>The year hasn't been that great
No offence, but if I were to go by your picks I'd probably have arrived to that conclusion, too.

'Cept for Thee Oh Sees. That was the bomb.

this year was lame, prove me wrong

Trust Punks is kicking my ass pretty damn good right now

aesop rock- impossible kid

Done.

I can provide more if you'd like.

wow, a whole lot of garbage? try again squirt

>a whole lot of garbage?
Pretty sure the problem is with you and not 2016.

I dunno. Maybe there's a Metallica fan forum that's missing you right now.

>8. Ukandanz - Awo
>10. Jesu / Sun Kil Moon - Jesu & Sun Kil Moon
these are the only two I've heard but they were really good. I actually discovered Ukandanz a few weeks before it came out by trying to listen to every single bandcamp posting in january

/thread

bro, i listen to high quality shit ONLY. Not your bushwack bullshit you're trying to sell me. show me something good or get bent

REKT

>show me something good or get bent
Now that's the second time I've had to do that.

Love for that Omni record and new Oh Sees, they've seriously been getting better with each new release, Drop aside

I really liked the arrangements on this album but Sturgill's voice and lyrics left me a bit cold.
I'll probably try to give it another shot in the future just because it does seem like something I would be all about.

current top 10, no particular order

Luna - Free Somebody
David Bowie - Blackstar
Jessy Lazna - Oh No
Celine Dion - Encore Un Soir
Loretta Lynn - Full Circle
Christine And The Queens - Chaleur Humaine
Mamamoo - Melting
Steven Wilson - 4 1/2
All Saints - Red Flag
Fifth Harmony - 7/27

>Jessy Lazna - Oh No
How surprised should I be that this was mastered by Bob Weston?

>Steven Wilson - 4 1/2
4.5 > HCE

Innocence Reaches
Human Performance
Sleep Cycles
IV
Nonagon Infinity

Really poor year so far, no albums released which feel at all essential.

>Really poor year so far
I can't even argue with you since you have three albums in your chart that I would have used as arguments to dissuade that opinion.

2016 rules. Why is everyone so cynical?

>no albums released which feel at all essential.
what was essential last year?

Anna Hogberg is super cute.
Have you checked out LABtrio's The Howls Are Not What They Seem? I think it's also really neat.
Life and Other Transient Storms also might be up your alley.

>Have you checked out LABtrio's The Howls Are Not What They Seem? I think it's also really neat.
starting now and this is the closest thing I've got this year

youtube.com/watch?v=6GBdjjLJ8Qs

Actually, Anna Hogberg might be close to essential, just haven't given it enough listens to say yet.

Pic related were all essential, plus some interesting stuff from Viet Cong, Polar Inertia, Earl's single Solace, Jenny Hval, and Milo.

Haven't, but will give them a go.

Yeah, see, I think the choices you've made on your 2016 chart are much better than these. And 2016 hasn't even ended yet.

Especially Perpetual. Did... did we listen to the same album?

>Pic related were all essential, plus some interesting stuff from Viet Cong, Polar Inertia, Earl's single Solace, Jenny Hval, and Milo.
Have you heard Trust Punks?

trustpunks.bandcamp.com/
released July 22, 2016
Auckland, New Zealand

++ought and girlband is pretty good too

i kinda liked jessy lanza

was that brand new worth listening to?

Listening to them now, but stop shilling them my man, you don't need to be quite so proactive. This is like the 5th thread this evening I've seen them recced so assertively.

I really enjoyed Perpetual, it was incredibly calming without being melancholic and without lacking complexity, as oftentimes seems the case with calming ambient music.

>but stop shilling them my man
you're not very good at anonymous communication. I've only mentioned them once before.

*tips deerstalker*

I thought it was an incredibly static slog that showed Ryuichi Sakamoto at his most comfortable and uninspired.

>it's just a coincidence that in so many unrelated threads this one album is posted!

Cool off. Your music is good, the angular / jangly guitars are the best feature thus far, could probably benefit from more grit in the vocals if you're going for the post-punk sound. A more complex or powerful bass might be in line, as well.

I haven't listened to enough Ryuichi to know him at his worst, but I like the comfort is shows. I found it boring at first, but grew to enjoy it for what it is, which isn't something pushing boundaries but working within them.

Even if that's true it's hardly "essential" tier, is it?

I wouldn't be using a perfectly benign squib of an album like Perpetual to claim one year was better than another.

Props for Carter Tutti and Ought, though.

>Your music is good
>Your
holy fucking shit kid get a grip

By essential, I mostly mean 'essential for that year'. Really only one or two ratings above 4.0 among those 10.

>.

Oh, I haven't checked this out yet.
Might be pretty cute.
I mostly went into LABtrio because of Michael Attias (whose Live at Greenwich Village was also a pretty neat album this year) and Christopher Hoffman (who was on Palehorse's Badlands which is one of my favs and might be my favorite thing Jeremiah Cymerman has done).

There are a ton of things I still haven't checked out yet/coming out soon too. New solo Roscoe Mitchell + the album he did with Pauline Oliveros, John Tilbury, and Wadada Leo Smith. Mark Feldman and Sylvie Courvosier's album with Evan Parker and Ikue Mori.
New Nick Cave and Lambchop's FLOTUS also seem like they could be really strong albums.

Ah, I see. Well in that case I'd like to change my argument.

A year with "essentials" is worse than a year without them. If there are so many good albums that nothing stands out as being particularly better than another I think that's a good sign.

I think 2016 has been great because there's been such a diverse selection of albums to be outstanding, but I definitely agree none of them are "essential" in the traditional sense. I think it's a good year to go spelunking for lesser-known triumphs.

>it's just a coincidence that in so many unrelated threads this one album is posted!
No it's not a coincidence. It's just really good so a lot of people are responding positively. Stay police though.

>Oh, I haven't checked this out yet.
I just randomly picked it out of a used bin because of the date and thought she was my special little secret until she guested for an entire week on seth meyers

Honestly, I think one of the reasons I haven't loved 2016 is its lack of a standout pop-structured album. I've really enjoyed many of those albums, but haven't found an album which is acceptable for any occasion. It may be a weak rationale, but a year feels incomplete without that.

>really good
Okie

i can't get into ansome much (tho i liked his release on mord) - think i might just be a burned out on that sort on techno.

also have you been keeping up with opal tapes this year? imo they've released better stuff than that perfume advert on your 2015 chart

youtube.com/watch?v=P38O0C74-hw

>rym
no wonder you're psychotically paranoid about shilling

>lack of a standout pop-structured album
Here you go.

Can't say I have, I'm pretty dance music / techno - pleb. What's your favorite release from it this year, I'll check it out.

As for Ansome, I liked them much more the first listen than recently. It's seemed a bit more commonplace the more I've listened to it.

>King
>composed of only women

>thatsthejoke.jpg

Please stop spamming this
>inb4 "major scale"

quality dubs

How can others even compete?

>major scale

No idea what this means but The Astonishing is patrician-tier.

2Sousa4u

stop

Dream Theater - The Astonishing

He thinks you're me.

I will be so pissed if a princess level isn't included on the video game.

youtube.com/watch?v=i-BO6s03acM

well, obv they're a bit more ep oriented (and desu their ~aesthetic has become a lil tiresome 4 me) but the $$$tag$$$ and karen gwyer releases are great. their sublabel is good too
youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-_5KP1Lws
if u like ansome/that perc trax sound then honestly the and that released this year is totally mental
youtube.com/watch?v=C1LUMMTIC6c

and u may also like
youtube.com/watch?v=rLeCMqjx41E
youtube.com/watch?v=T3PTg4OnRRs
youtube.com/watch?v=uRxlTeEg_Zg

honestly haven't listened to a whole lot of shit this year tho, my chart is a bit "obvious" or w/e

I reviewd this album. Here's what I said...

Ray

stick to film

>no-holds-barred
>pulse pounding
>for the whole family
>enchanting
>sucks you in
>visceral
>awesome

>The Astonishing

The best part of the astonishing is reading all the reviews for it

In no particular order.

>In b4 bait no bitch I actually have a social life

Makeout creek came out 2 years ago.

say hello to your 2016 champion

youtube.com/watch?v=HWtHwRMxsfk

defenestration-core

Wow, you come off as super bitter.

What does a social life have to do with anything, anyway?

Wow Jad and David are more prolific than usual this year.

I think I might like this song better than anything off the new Half Japanese too so I'll probably check this out.

I fucking love the new half japanese but yeah there's probably extra points for fascination factor on this one. I think it still qualifies for worst of the year though especially since that's apparently what they're going for and I think I should honor their wishes.

youtube.com/watch?v=xVUHk2G1TyM
I'm excited to get local credit for this one since it was recorded in Austin and Jad lives here although I don't know about David

Rob Zombie is still a force to be reckoned with though for worst of the year
youtube.com/watch?v=bXvTk-N0HKo

I used to be super Neet more or less and I've grown out of it in the past year or so. With it I've grown out of Sup Forums core as I feel it's all just a try hard pissing contest of who can find the most obscure and or diffrent music.

I'm bitter because any and every time I try a talk about the music here I enjoy people disregard it as a joke and any opinion I have gets disregard as "bait" or becuase it doesn't have enough "artist merit".

I come here on down time a lot less than I used to; but I think shit like Death Grips and Animal Collective is awful I'd much rather talk about Travis Scott or something but it's hard becuase of the way that anything popular is viewed here.

Funny enough it takes more skill to write a solid pop song that most everyone can enjoy over a 3-hour long tape loop

Fuck 'em. Listen to what you want. Sup Forums will complain no matter what you do the least you can do is try to be intelligent about it.

With that in mind could you not impugn tape loops in order to make your point? Kind of makes you look like a hypocrite. Elitism does, in fact, go both ways. It doesn't look like you made much progress to me, you just switched teams.