How does Sup Forums feel about Devin Townsend?

How does Sup Forums feel about Devin Townsend?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OY37uSxjuIY
youtube.com/watch?v=2T0_n4VsaYo
youtube.com/watch?v=v5B0d2PctBA
youtube.com/watch?v=m1vOGSG4Og0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I feel that anyone who listens to him isn't worth speaking to

he's a goofball

Well, it's a good thing you had the option to type that charming sentiment, then, isn't it?

Agreed.

>I feel that anyone who listens to him isn't worth speaking to
But you would have had to have listened to him to form that strong opinion of him. So you're not worth speaking to, by your own admission.

A lot of his work is A+, his recent work is mediocre

>Ocean Machine up until the first for DTP albums

hng

Ziltoid is pretty good

what are his best works?

>not liking Ki
Opinion thrown out the fucking window!

OP here... It depends on your tastes, really. It's all him, for sure, but what I've enjoyed most so far is the Addicted and Sky Blue albums.

Ki is among those four albums you dip
I fucking love Ki

In my opinion, Ocean Machine, Terria, Ki, Synchestra, Infinity, basically almost anything he did up until Epicloud and after
Ocean Machine is my all-time fav I think

>up until the first for DTP albums
I thought that meant you thought that's when the decline, apologises.

No doubt, Ocean Machine is excellent. I haven't given the others in that list a proper listen. My experience is post formation of DTP. I'm really looking forward to Transcendence.

Burn.

Yep, lots of GOAT albums, but ever since Epicloud I haven't been getting into it as much, good songs here and there, but too many mid-tempo songs that never go anywhere and drag on.
He should stop using that soft distortion guitar tone that makes it sound like a background instrument. Same thing as Buzzo from Melvins, the old guitar tone is better.

Transcendence had a few good songs (Stars & Higher) and no really bad moments, but it really felt like Devin just treading water.

Deconstruction was honestly a 10/10 album imo. All four of the original DTP releases were near flawless. Ziltoid, Accelerated Evolution, and Ocean Machine are other top picks.

Seen him play twice now too, honestly some of the most fun I've ever had at shows was at Devy shows.

His shows look fucking excellent. I would probably have killed to see Retinal Circus.

I liked CoC, but I agree Z2 was a disappointment. What I've heard from Transcendence isn't wowing me either.

real nice to have devin circle-jerkers gathered here. Just saying you guys cool for liking him

*Casualties was also really cool. Makes me wish Ghost 2 had been fleshed out and given a real release so we could get more of that darker ambient vibe.

'preciated. I don't know anybody in real life that digs him.

Yeah CoC was cool. From what I remember I liked Deathray and Ziltiod Goes Home from Z2. And Silent Militia was fun.

Yeah I've been listening to Transcendence a bit, but I haven't given it my full attention yet. I like Secret Sciences, nice drums and vocal lines.
I don't understand why he starts the album off with two intro songs though. Same thing as on Deconstruction, it just messes up the pace of the album.

You're very cool too my friend :)

If dev is gonna play acoustic in churches again in england in the coming years, im defoo gonna fly there

Yep, more stuff like Radial Highway would be great.
youtube.com/watch?v=OY37uSxjuIY

It's pretty funny actually, a lot of Devin's B side stuff is just as good as his main releases. Epiclouder for example is better than Epicloud.

transcendence already leaked like a week ago.

Ocean Machine, Ki, Addicted, Terria and CoC are all great albums. Versatility is his strength, although it feels like he's gotten too comfortable with one specific style on a lot of his recent output.
Seems like a genuinely nice guy though, saw him play an acoustic show last year and he was pretty talkative with the audience.

I've been putting it off until the official release. (Just 'cause...)

I can occasionally listen to Epicloud (mostly for the Kingdom cover and the Epiclouder bonus tracks desu), but I can't really get into any of his newer DTP releases. Z2 felt verrry awkward and forced. Some of the songs from Sky Blue made more sense after I'd seen him play them live, but not enough to make me listen to the album any more.

Its like said, that shitty guitar tone washes everything out and makes it harder for his personality to come through, which imo is what makes his music interesting.

DTP is "mainstream" shit compared to his early output, with Ocean Machine, Infinity, Physicist and The Hummer being his peaks. I still like DTP, but I feel like he has no conflict left in his life, so the music's become highly digestible and nothing else (good for him, though). The new stuff is basically for random internet video loving science nerds whereas the old stuff was for a large number of different kinds of people that like innovation in music. He's sort of become "progressive" in the sense that there is a certain genre of music that is called Progressive, but that just utilizes certain tropes of "progressiveness", but isn't progressive itself. Like Dream Theater.

Overall, I think the early albums of the 90s + SYL were the best he's ever been.

Why the fuck did desu autocorrect to desu?

Oh user...

i honestly think that KI is the only non mediocre album in his discography

le prog goofball

Thanks for the input and I understand where you're coming from.

I'm wondering, though, if you're looking at this from a more "sound" and "lyrical" point of view than I am. Besides personally enjoying his sound and lyrics, what I'm referring to as progressive are his melodic self reference and chordal progressions. If you've taken this into account, please let me know, so that I'll understand better what you mean.

If you have (and even if you haven't), I would love it if you could refer me to something you feel is more progressive. Not, like, as a challenge, or anything. I'm just interested in what someone who has such a concise opinion on the issue would call more progressive.

>SYL
10/10 other than The New Black
>DTP
9/10

He has some real good shit, and I'm looking forward to Transcendence, curious how it'll turn out

Whoa! I thought for sure my thread was dead. Glad to see someone's enjoying the new stuff. Honestly, I've avoided the SYL stuff. Seemed too heavy for me.

I used to feel the same way before the first 15 seconds of him that I heard got stuck in my head and I ended up listening to the entire album

Thing is, it's incredibly confronting music at first, but the more you listen to it, the more serene it becomes
There's actually some fairly large shifts in musical dynamics in his songs that serve to really contrast each other

youtube.com/watch?v=2T0_n4VsaYo
Listen from around 1:06 to around 1:30, or skip to 3:10

Don't get me wrong, it's still heavy as fuck, but it's far from being unbearably heavy

>Top tier
Ocean Machine, Terria, Casualties

>Great tier
Accelerated evolution, Ziltoid, Addicted, Physicist

>Good tier
Sky Blue, Infinity, Ki, Ghost

>Worth a listen tier
Deconstruction, Sky blue, The hummer, Synchestra

>Oh shit nigga what are you doing tier
Z2, Epicloud, Transcendence

I love Devin and the majority of his work, favourites being Accelerated Evolution, Ziltoid, and Ocean Machine. I loved his SYL shit too with Alien probably being my favourite from that period.

I met him at a guitar clinic he held and it was the only time I was starstruck, he was a very genuine guy and really nice so its just another plus for me considering I love his style of heaviness with all the reverb and delay as well as synths.

Not on his dick or anything, he's just up there with my favourite artists.

he said listens, not listened
check your tense, bruh

Aight, I guess my post sounded like something a doofus would write.

I am looking at this from a more sound and lyrical point of view. You're right in saying that Devin still produces some top tier stuff structurally speaking. He's still a great musician, period.

I just feel that the experimenting in other departments has stopped or at least slowed down considerably. For instance: Since Ziltoid he's prone to using choirs and "epic" style elements to produce a certain sound and I think he does this way too much. The other side of his sound nowadays seem to be soft and soothing melodies sung by women or himself with a very particular kind of voice.

He still does produce many different styles of music, but I think he has found what he likes best in these different departments and just sticks to it. It's too clear-cut for my taste. Since Ziltoid, you could predict too much of how a new album would sound.

Has anyone here not jerked off in the morning but waited for the night to cum?

I very rarely jack off in the morning.

Now THAT, I totally understand. Yes, you are right. It is not a leap of faith, to any degree, to expect choir or soaring sustained vocals on any upcoming album.

He has one half a good song.
youtube.com/watch?v=v5B0d2PctBA

I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to any of his other stuff, and I had to once because I forgot what this one song was called. Like my other issues with lots of other metal artists, he has the downfall of being obnoxious.

What about this?
youtube.com/watch?v=m1vOGSG4Og0

Ocean Machine, Terria, Infinity, Ziltoid, Ki, Ghost, Epicloud, Casualties of Cool, City and Alien are all great albums.

Skyblue sounded like Epicloud2 and Z2 was over produced. I agree he has become over-reliant on the choruses, wall of sound production and female vocals. It would also be nice to hear him experiment with different guitar tones as well. Also, haven't heard Transcendence in full yet but enjoyed Secret Sciences and Failure more than what was on Sky Blue.