Overrated albums thread

Overrated albums thread

fuck you

word

Agree

Disagree

overrated as fuck
its widely considered to be the greatest hiphop album of all time and it just isnt
its still fuckin great but its easy to name 20 better albums that deserve that title

The greatest, no
One of the greatest, yes

so what's the best hip hop album?

Go ahead name them then.

From around that era I would say

2Pac - Me Against the World
B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal

Liquid Swords

Only by new generations and hipster magazines

>it's a "lets try to 'debunk' ol' skool Hip-Hop" thread

It's an 8/10 at best. It's not even Kanye's best

So chill with the whole "10/10. 100/100. Greatest album in Hip-Hop. Of all time" shit

Not OP but I don't see why going against Illmatic equals to going against all 90's Hip Hop

I agree that album is overrated and so is Nas

I really like Sonic Youth, but how anyone can think this is any more than a 7/10 is beyond me. Kim in particular is awful on this album, and even the best songs wouldn't stand out if they were on Goo for example. It's a sub-par Goo actually.

Then name the 20 albums better then this. I bet you're a kanye faggot

For what it's worth he kind of reaches his artistic pinnacle. You might not like it the most but respective to his other albums I think it's kinda hard to argue it isn't his best

First half is a little weak though, if every song were as good and unique as Monster, Blame Game, Hell of a Life, Runaway and Lost in the World it'd be an easy 10

>remember when Sup Forums used to hate kanye

Except Late Registration is his greatest release

Blame Game? Hell Of A Life? Dude, you're wrong again. Double wrong. Second half of MBDTF is ass

Only one in contention here is Ready to Die, and I'm not sure it's quite as good as Illmatic. Illmatic catches an essence of the place and the time whereas Ready to Die is just Biggie rapping about himself. good album tho don't get me wrong

>Second half of MBDTF is ass
lmao I bet you think All of the Lights is the best song on there

Late Registration was bretty good but it doesn't even touch the raw emotion and star power of a song like Devil in a New Dress

Fucking hell posted here looking for a proper discussion and only now do I realise this has become a BS Kanye thread

36 Chambers. Period.

>its widely considered to be the greatest hiphop album of all time
Who thinks this?

How can something so lame be so obnoxious

No, I think Devil In A New Dress is the best in MBDTF

Oh, you think Rick Ross' feature was emotional? How about Heard 'Em Say or Touch The Sky. Not emotional enough? Gee, I guess My Way Home or Roses isn't emotional either. Yeah, you must be right. Hey Mama has no emotion whatever. Never mind the part where he cries with his Mother and promises to give back for all the spoiling she's done for him. Nah, it's so much more emotional when Rick Ross' watch is Medusa or when Kanye says he's the LeBron of rhyme. That's soo much more emotional

Not him but I can name 20 I enjoy more only sticking to the 90's

Mobb Deep - The Infamous
The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers
OutKast - Aquemini
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
DMX - It's Dark and Hell Is Hot
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Chef Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food
Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
Makaveli - The Don Killuminati
Scarface - The Diary
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
UGK - Ridin' Dirty
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
2Pac - Me Against the World
B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal

My ex left me for an artist who's most recent project is having people hold pictures of Jim Morrison, "his idle."

I'm single but at least I'm not a pleb

*idol
Guess I am a pleb after all

Just Sup Forums

delete this

Jim Morrison is great

rym

This

this

why do you think it's overrated?

>implying other albums can have the lyricism skill of Illmatic.

Fuck You
FUCK YOU
Sort of understand
Sorta
I agree with this. Like the album, and Tha Crossroads is fantastic, but it's pretty dated.

you have pretty shit taste t b h.

WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT SLAMMING THE DOORS

>says Illmatic is the most overrated hip-hop album and there are at least 20 better

>lists 20 albums that are almost all equally as overrated as you are claiming Illmatic is

not even best Wu

Fuck off

It's boring nas sounds the same on every song, and he's rappiong about being a gangster when he never was.

>but it's pretty dated
So is Illmatic

Because the praise is way exaggerated

>says Illmatic is the most overrated hip-hop album and there are at least 20 better
Clearly stated that I wasn't the person you were responding to

>lists 20 albums that are almost all equally as overrated as you are claiming Illmatic is
How are they "equally overrated" when Illmatic is said to be perfect and the greatest album of all time by many magazines

the albums you listed are literally all in the RYM top 100 for hip-hop, they are circlejerked endlessly by white teenagers, and they are critically acclaimed as well. don't pretend you don't know that.

no one like this one.

Not nearly as acclaimed - plus I went out of my way to only put recognized albums over more obscure albums to make a point

Because they're actually good you idiot? There's only 20 hip hop albums worth talking about let alone 100

The first four songs are the greatest album of all time. And then the next six happen...

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Good King MAAD City
It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Enter the Wu Tang

that's it

THISSS

not even MF DOOM's best

Was wanting to listen to this after recently getting into MF DOOM, if I liked his work, would I like this?

yes i was literally in your shoes last month and i think it's fucken great
i think it deserves the recognition it's gotten

nothing can be overrated or underappreciated

underappreciated post

overrated post

>Heard 'Em Say
Kanye was never hood. He's never been lower than middle class. The first songs of his first three albums are all about him pretending to have had a struggle growing up, or otherwise singing about a struggle other people had. Emotional perhaps but not personal.
>Touch The Sky
Getting closer here, but all it really is a celebration of success.
>Roses
>Hey Mama
Now we're talking.

But those are just a few on a long album. MBDTF is itself an hour of introspection, and there's not really any words by him that aren't personal. His peak, corruption from fame, fall from grace with the whole world thinking he's an asshole, comeback are all examined, with a confession that he's lost in the world.

meant for

IMO this is the only album that can't possibly be overrated. It's not my favorite though.

Definitely.

I wouldn't really considere it underrated, i live in California and I don't really know anyone who has actually listened to it or listen to Nas on the regualr

Many people
I love this fucking album so much this is the greatest hardcore hip-hop album ever
Overrated. I liked Yeezus and Late Registration better for sure.
No this album is gold
Um this is basically like you just named 20 classic hip hop records. Like, do you really think Doggy Style and DMX are better than fucking Ilmatic?
agree. not best psych rock
no this album is 10/10
no this album is 10/10

>He's never been lower than middle class
He grew up in the south side of Chicago

>Mm.. Food
>Madvillainy
>Vaudeville Villain
>Endtroducing...
>My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
>To Pimp A Butterfly
>Good Kid Maad City
>Funcrusher Plus

I'd say God Loves Ugly, Late Registration, and Low End Theory but I need to listen to them a bit more. I'd unironically say The Money Store but I don't think you like "meme rap" and wouldn't take the list as seriously.

Any person that isn't retarded on Sup Forums usually enjoys Death Grips. It's unreasonable to say that they're 'bad' in anyway considering how polarizing of a sound and image they created. What other album has sounded, looked, or been released in the same way as NLDW? Jenny Death? Fashion Week? therre are none. Death Grips is probably the most 'standout' hip-hop group of the 2010s. and that's saying a lot because the only polarizing and wild things in music right now are happening in rap, for better or for worse.

>Life After Death
>Return to the 36 Chambers
>DMX
>The Chronic
>The Don Killuminati
>Doggystyle
>Me Against the World
>Reasonable Doubts

These are not on the same level as illmatic, some of them may be good but no where near the level of Illmatic.

(You)

disgusting