/grimes general/

Discuss the awesome Canuck electronic artist Claire Boucher, known as Grimes.

Suggested topics:
>How and when did you find out about her?
>Rank/rate her albums and post your favorite songs of hers.
>Did you see her live? Do you plan to?
>Who would you like to see her collab with?

Some cool stuff:
New! (FYF Fest 2016): Downloads: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4g84rl/grimes_downloads_various_rare_collaborations

Try to keep it music related, be nice to Grimes and to each other!

Other urls found in this thread:

genius.com/Grimes-i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in-order-to-make-a-living-annotated
exclaim.ca/music/article/grimes_talks_medieval_times_of_halfaxa
pitchfork.com/features/interview/8774-grimes/
grimygoods.com/2016/08/28/photos-fyf-fest-exposition-park-los-angeles/
instagram.com/actually.claire/
vimeo.com/39305009
vimeo.com/20859607
discogs.com/artist/1824104-Run-DMT
instagram.com/p/BDESTr1Oj9W/?taken-by=actually.claire
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Grimes fans are just Nu-Ricardos.

I'll just make another one, there's no reason at all to delete these threads

Grimes haters are antichrists.

READ THIS
genius.com/Grimes-i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in-order-to-make-a-living-annotated

Said Ricardo. Admit it, you're a Bjork fanboy. How else you would know about Ricardo Lopez??? I bet you post on every Bjork thread.

Where was the pic taken? Is that a screencap from the 2011 tour diary and if so, which city- Montreal?

Reporting a legit thread is punished by a ban. Read the rules.

Nope.

Read what I actually wrote. I reported a mod for deleting the thread.

My bad. It could be interpreted as you're talking to a mod. Did you really report a mod? Where?

Some notable reposts from last thread:

>Since I know you folks just love arguing about charts... here's another one for you to gnarl on.
>
>You'll probably think it's overly simplistic (which is perfectly alright since it is - on purpose.) But there's actually a lot of complex psychology lurking underneath the surface - most particularly regarding which lines do/don't have arrows on them and the choosing of reference genres listed (could probably use more, but I thought it best to start out as stripped-down as possible.)

Also, here's my rationale for describing Halfaxa as "witch house" in this chart, despite the fact that that is not what it actually is:

Technically speaking Halfaxa is a medieval (as opposed to goth/gothic) electronic dance pop album:
>"This album is more like medieval times," she explains. "I feel like there's this vague aesthetic idea that pervades the album. It's not totally gimmicky, it's just sort of this weird abstract idea of what is medieval and what the dark ages would sound like if they could be interpreted in an electronic means... I want to combine the feeling of sitting in a beautiful church with a reverb-y choir, but I want to combine that with the feeling of dancing to really good music. They're both really animalistic interpretations of beauty but I wanted them to happen at the same time for the listener."
exclaim.ca/music/article/grimes_talks_medieval_times_of_halfaxa

However, since there are no other albums currently in existence that fit that particular set of sonic descriptors (so far as I am aware of, anyway) it doesn't make very much sense to tell new listeners to Grimes that if they happen to already like that particular kind of music they should check out this album, now does it?

(continued)

this is the face of a person who's not using drugs anymore

halfaxa is not witch house

(continued from )

Notice the wording I used in the chart instructions: "Pick your MOST-LIKED genre..." The genres you see on this chart are not intended to be completely accurate descriptions of what her music is/sounds like (since that would be impossible given that Grimes' music is itself a definable genre - hence the giant dashed circle containing all of her music with the word Grimes at its center.) These are just common musicall reference points that - it is hoped - a new listener might already be aware of, and therefore might serve as a way of getting in to her music more easily for the first time.

I was actually tempted to use the term "gothic pop" instead. However there aren't really any other examples of albums to serve as common reference points for what that means either, so I'm afraid we're just stuck with "witch house" for the time being. Fwiw even Grimes has been over it for years:
>It used to really upset me when people called me "witch house." And then one day I thought, "But I did make a witch house record, whether I like it or not. Boo-hoo."
pitchfork.com/features/interview/8774-grimes/

is this?

I love how she looks in that picture.

Cool chart

good for her

Friendly reminder that Carly is the best Canadian artist.

who?

>But I did make a witch house record
she's wrong

she knows better

>Grimes is a badass–that’s all you really need to know. If you must know more, then know that midway during “Oblivion,” Claire-fucking-Boucher told the crowd she was having “technical difficulties”–aka, her pedal machine and ability to use pre-recorded samples had been cut-out. So Grimes did what she did best, improvising and playing the entirety of the song’s samples on muscle memory alone, not to mention pushing through “World Princess Part II” with the same issues. The first half of her set was a flurry of special guest appearances that included Asian rapper Aristophanes spitting her fiery foreign rhymes on “Scream,” while the common theme throughout her set was pretty clear: Grimes is badass; but her backup dancers are even more so. Accompanied by the same pair who have joined her throughout her tour, Grimes, and her musical partner Hana, tore up her jittery, synth-pop anthems with an almost frightening gusto. Ever the entertainer, Grimes used her signature shock tactics–roaring into her microphone and screaming in voice-cracking yelps while rolling around on the stage floor–to pull the crowd out of any pretense they might’ve had for being shy. On her more pop infused tunes, like “Flesh Without Blood,” and the Godfather inspired track “Kill v. Maim,” which the 28-year-old ended her set with in a head-numbing, insanity ridden finale. As the sole creative fire behind Grimes, Boucher has struggled profoundly in an industry that seeks to categorize, define, and in the process, belittle her efforts to produce meaningful art that entertains and inspires. Her ingenuity and experimentalism is beyond apparent, but live, behind her keyboards and guitars, Grimes remains a solely unique act that harkens back to a time when that word actually meant something.
grimygoods.com/2016/08/28/photos-fyf-fest-exposition-park-los-angeles/

a bit obscure dream pop =/= witch house

She's nice but let's face it, Grimes is the real deal.

no, she doesn't

I really really really like her but lets not stir up unnecessary drama.

>Attempting to stir up controversy by pitting Canadians against each other
>Clearly knows nothing about Canadians irl

this is such a vague statement wth

One day i wil find her and catch.

go to bed ricardos

as much as i hate this retard who memes on all of her trashique pics he or she has some rare stuff here and there

instagram.com/actually.claire/

How do i get into her?

I've listened to all her stuff but it doesn't even sound special and just comes off as boring to me.

> implying Grimeth isn't a naturalized burger by now

Why make cringe threads when you've got grimes generals?

Carly writes her own songs user.

vimeo.com/39305009

very underrated interview.

Manifesting those urges is definitely what one should do, in one form or another. 1

>sxsw 2012
what is your opinion on the hotly debated topic, voignamirians?

were drugs consumed that weeked

is that a smirk he's hiding under his fingers or something

i keep seeing this picture posted here and im still unsure of what the intended abstraction behind it is supposed to be

vimeo.com/20859607

does anyone by any chance have the name of the first song played, I even asked the guy who made it but he read it and didn't reply, fuck meeeeeeeeeeeee

are male groupies a thing? if i goto one of her shows do i get to fuck her if she thinks im hot?

wew lad

lol you reminded seb that grimes exists

no I didn't ask him, I asked run dmt (the guy credited) he's going by the name salvia plath now since a dubstep duo stole his name, and has now an atheism blog so maybe he hates anything related to his drug using hippie whatever phase, and that's why he didn't reply
still i love that song and it's a shame i can't find it

Have you checked all of these?
discogs.com/artist/1824104-Run-DMT

>Jack Antonoff, Claire Boucher
1 album, 1 song
>Jack Antonoff, Claire Boucher, John Hill
1 album, 1 song
>Claire Boucher, Matthew Duffy, Devon Welsh
1 album, 1 song
>Claire Boucher, Janelle Monáe
1 album, 1 song
>Claire Boucher, Pan Wei Ju
1 album, 1 song
>Claire Boucher, Mike Tucker
3 albums, 4 songs
>Claire Boucher, Airick Woodhead
1 album, 1 song
>Claire Boucher, Jay Worthy
2 albums, 2 songs

>Claire Boucher
11 albums, 73 songs

what did he mean by this

I think it's writing credits.

whos mike tucker and why has done so much stuff with him

What songs were written with Devon and Jack Antonoff?

Mike Tucker is Bloodpop

They've done Phone Sex and three versions of Go

>Devon
Grimes – Nightmusic (feat. Majical Clouds)

>Jack
Bleachers & Grimes – Entropy
Bleachers – Take Me Away (feat. Grimes)

She isn't. She's an out and proud absentee ballot voting Canuck.

I like Carly Bae, but back-off, Grimes is Grimes, the real queen of Sup Forums

>11 albums, 73 songs
Um... I think you need to clarify exactly what you mean by 'album' as well as 'song'... not to mention the difference between a Grimes-authored vs. Claire Boucher-authored project.

does anyone know the source where this pic is from?

entropy is the best

> Grimes-authored vs. Claire Boucher-authored project.

What's the difference?

I'll elaborate on this by giving the songs

>Jack Antonoff, Claire Boucher
Bleachers & Grimes – Entropy
>Jack Antonoff, Claire Boucher, John Hill
Bleachers – Take Me Away (feat. Grimes)
>Claire Boucher, Matthew Duffy, Devon Welsh
Grimes – Nightmusic (feat. Majical Cloudz)
>Claire Boucher, Janelle Monáe
Grimes – Venus Fly (feat. Janelle Monáe)
>Claire Boucher, Pan Wei Ju
Grimes – Scream (feat. Aristophanes)
(side note: alphabetically this order is correct because in Asian cultures [or at least Chinese] the family name comes first)
>Claire Boucher, Mike Tucker
Blood Diamonds – Phone Sex (feat. Grimes)
Grimes – Go (feat. Blood Diamonds)
Grimes – Go (Sirius XM Version) (feat. Blood Diamonds)
Grimes – Go (Bloodpop Remix) (feat. Blood Diamonds)
>Claire Boucher, Airick Woodhead
Grimes – Colour of Moonlight (Antiochus) (feat. Doldrums)
>Claire Boucher, Jay Worthy
Grimes – Christmas Song (feat. Jay Worthy)
Grimes – Christmas Song II (Grinch) (feat. Jay Worthy)

Albums are LPs, EPs, compilations, and singles. At least that's how my software does it.

She might start writing them all herself, but she certainly doesn't finish them alone. I'm no CRJ hater, user (imo by regular mainstream pop standards Emotion is an EXCELLENT album tbqh.) But to be going around bragging about her cred as a self-contained artist would seem to be somewhat... well... out of touch with reality.

It's from a performance in a TV show, can't remember the name

I'm so fucking sick of this meme whore. Also, 1989 is better.

jimmy fallon

emotion was pop AOTY whether you like it or not, also it was better than visions.

no

official memepop rankings of the 2010s

The 20/20 Experience > Visions > Art Angels > 1989 > Emotion > Night Time, My Time > Beyoncé > The 20/20 Experience 2 >>>>>>> Lemonade

yes

No, it wasn't. People just like it because they have pity on her.

Are you actually saying that E•MO•TION is better than Art Angels? Lol

> Sky Ferreira lower that Carly, JT above everyone else

Top kek

see her live desu. i was like u until i had the privilege

i saw her live at coachella a couple years ago and she sounded awful

It's ran by a tumblr girl. Let this change your attitude towards the retard.

Sorry to hear that. She sounded great when I saw her this June.

eh i still feel kind of the same

instagram.com/p/BDESTr1Oj9W/?taken-by=actually.claire
ok this is pretty fucking pathetic

Not nearly as pathetic as you whining about it. Go find another hobby besides creeping on innocent Instagram users.

Was i being ironic?

Who does he think he is, honestly.

Thanks for the rare Grimes anyway, gonna waifu the fuck out of these. :)

bet you wouldn't have the same attitude if instead of a cute looking girl there would be a fat ugly dude

>if you don't like grimes you're a woman-hating misogynist

reminder:

commenting about the attractiveness of a musician (an occupation which looks [should] have nothing to do with) is unnecessary objectification, and it's definitely mysogynistic.

shut up montie

Someone else could make her music?

why do the shitposters always have to target /grimes/

why

do you really not have anything better to do with your time than try to tear down some positivity on this board? are you trying to make everybody as miserable as you?

no one cares what you have to say, stupid numale hipster

its literally Sup Forums tier, shitposting and trolling should exclusively stay on Sup Forums, but thats asking too much

why dont mods ban those fucks, also, remember when it would say USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST? it really adds a warning to others

>crying because someone made a legitimate critique of the culture here in these threads

god forbid they show any kind of initiative in shooing the shitposters that they show for deleting our OPs...

its not that, im talking about the clear shitposts and blant attacks, the other is fine

Ex
idk what post you made but thats what i am talking about

Why does Sup Forums hates us so much fellow Voignamirians? I feel like the hate just increases everyday. We cannot even say Grimes outside of the general without being told to go back. Also, now that everyone loves Carly Rae Jepsen they will use her as a new weapon against Claire (because they're both from Canada).

I want to pet her head and feed her pills.

there's room on Sup Forums for them both

They're self-absorbed. People kind of not respect it.