Music makers of Sup Forums, what do you think of your own work?

Music makers of Sup Forums, what do you think of your own work?

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosauna.com/studio/
clyp.it/b0oqsg0i
youtube.com/watch?v=uHtyLYcqLPM
youtu.be/pyL7fuOOFaU?t=41s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No one act like that "THE AUDIENCE" in Sup Forums. Enjoying shit music is for pleb.

i finally found a dude i can collaborate with. i'm comfortable with him enough to really let loose and show him my honest riffs and things that I come up with. he validates most things I do and will give criticism in such a friendly, helpful way.

yet I still apologize for lack of skill, fucking up in places, etc...

he's always jamming out to my shit. i'm glad we started jamming because I really think i love him like a brother now.

I like my music a lot because it's exactly what I want to hear and I know the intention of the artist. I also get why people wouldn't like it. Also I hate my music because I hate myself and it's never good enough

>Are you literally me?

No but seriously I feel the exact same way. I make the stuff I want to make and I can actually jam out to it. That being said I'm so much of a perfectionist that it takes me forever to get anything done when in reality the common listener really wouldn't pick up on to such small details.

I recognize that it's worse than a lot of stuff in different ways, but nothing else is informed by my personal aesthetics to the degree that my own music is, maybe necessarily, so it's special to me.
I've not had much drive to make music lately. I wish forcing it worked, although I honestly don't actually want to so it's not bugging me as much as a creative block would. I think maybe I'm listening to so much music that music becomes less valuable to me. There's the fact that I've stagnated in my approach for a long time and have lost my collaborator, so maybe when I get some of the gear I want that will allow me to go in a different direction from computer-based music I'll be able to renew my excitement.

that sounds great. post your tunes if you can.

i will definitely do so. this is a new project we're trying to spread anonymously to get feedback on it, so i'll be posting in the share threads adn I'll try to mention you as inspiration. thanks.

In the same boat as you desu. I have finally reached a plateau in what was an exponential curve of learning about production, composition, why things work the way they do, etc. And now that I have a good understanding of what to do, I'm struggling to find any inspiration to make anything unique.

I've been listening to quite a lot of music to find inspiration, but I believe it's making it worse rather than helping. Because like you said it's becoming less valuable.

I hope to get out of this slump soon.

I think it's good while I'm making it and then gradually grow to hate it once it's done, then I'll come back to it a long time later and think it's OK.

yea, i second that. what genre

It's less of a plateau and more of a lack of desire. I actually want to explore less sophisticated technology like ROMpler modules or game consoles with music software and run them through physical effects (like a few of my "idols" do) rather than write on my computer, but I don't have the money to afford that stuff right now.
I wrote a track on audiosauna.com/studio/ the other day when I was at my mom's, and that was fun, and I got some of that rush and confusion of a more primitive and limited setup going on. The only reason I had to do that was cause she doesn't have FL studio on her computer though. I appreciate FL's piano roll more after trying to use that.

Is this babby's first realization? come the fuck on guys this is artist 101

An artist is never gonna be a fan of his own art

God this thread is so comfy

Not them but this sounds great

I agree, but I've come to the point where I'm not too embarrassed of what I've written down

I want be able to record some of the song ideas I have on my computer so I can use a DAW without having the sound be incredibly awful, since all I'm honestly doing right now is recording stuff on my phone, I have hundreds upon hundreds of them. Are there any DAWs/Studio monitors/Microphones under $100 that you guys can recommended? Or any tips on recording/writing music?

Total shit m8

I think it's too simplistic even when that's what I want, so I just have this weird anxiety. I know I should write for myself and be happy but it's still a frightening thing

I usually feel like it's worthless garbage, but then every so often I feel like it's pretty good, but I mostly just feel like it's garbage.

>too simplistic
I know this feel. But it drove me to start teaching myself theory, so it's not all bad

think im an absolute genius. think my work goes over most peoples heads tho. want recognition but dont wwant to dumb myself down

Terrible, amateur, unoriginal, embarassing.
I wouldn't show it to anyone.

Never share your own art anywhere

Not that I don't know theory, it's just that I want minimal track folk but it's still alarming when I don't feel like I need or want more but it'll be bad if I don’t

this

I just pirated my DAW, but I understand why you wouldn't want to. I don't sell my music though, so I kinda justify it in the sense that I'm not profiting from it. Reaper is a free DAW that a lot of people stand by. I think it's only really used for recording though. ReNoise is like $50, but it's just a tracker. If you google "free DAW's" you'll probably find a lot of shit that looks super ugly but maybe works.

Ugh, I'm a talent-free hack. I love doing it, but I'm not gonna "make it".

clyp.it/b0oqsg0i

I make music with my computer and I make it for me. It's the best music ever created and I will never let anyone hear it.

My music is always the same, too detailed to be charming, not good enough to be actually good
It sucks guys

>will never let anyone hear it
user pls

I think I'm pretty confident mostly because I have crystal clear song ideas, even stuff I haven't recorded or written down yet, and I've thought about the songs I want to make for soooooooooo long that I'm able to refine the songs in my head before I even write it out, so it might be a bit less embarrassing when it comes time to record it lmao. Also some artists like Anco, Tame Impala, Nine inch Nails, Madlib, Radiohead and even Death Grips (production wise don't worry I'm not trying to rap like Ride) really inspire me to write music whenever I listen to them

I'm very proud of what I've done with my friends and bandmates.
Some parts here and there I think are meh, but I'm growing musically pretty fast.
Overall I'm proud and excited to release my stuff.

>Overall I'm proud and excited to release my stuff.
l-lewd

I need some advice. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but this needs to be said so that my post makes sense. I'm a very good singer and guitarist, like genuinely, and my best friend just started playing drums a few months ago. He has the knack for it and practices and stuff, but the stuff that I want to write and play is a little bit too difficult. Also we are in college, so I want to get a band together and start getting gigs before I end up regretting it. I can get a drummer whenever I want, I'm pretty sure of it, but I really want my best friend to be in a band with me...What do? Should I wait like a year for him to get better at holding tempos, start a band on the side, or what?

what kind of music are you wanting to play exactly?

Just work solo until you can round up a lineup you like

forgot pic

If he can't hold tempos drop him.
Seriously find someone that amazes you.
People in your band will become your best friend.

Confidence is nice. Don't let the self-loathers in this thread influence you to think there's anything wrong with that.
You can still be in a band with him and write difficult music for a more capable band.

Maybe help him get better. Find some practice charts and if you know any other drums try and get them to talk to him. I've started percussion recently and couldn't doodle until I was given help

Honestly, you might not wanna take my advice, but if your friend is serious about art, about music, and about being in a band, than work with him, progress, maybe help him out, jam together. However if he's kinda doing this as a hobby and just said one day "ey I wanna play drums that would be cool lol" than still jam and have fun, but maybe keep that as a side thing and find people that are serious drummers, get to know each other and try to work something out

Prog lol

This as well

>tfw i have to play an original song to get into music school
i have like 3 decent ones, but with no lyrics, just end it.
And i suck at singing if im not alone, im going to have a fucking panic attack and my dream will end
just FUCK MY SHIT UP famalamans
why did god made me with a fucked up brain
will probably steal benzos from mommy

Yeah, if he can't keep time, he definitely isn't ready for prog. Just make a post on craigslist or something and hope for the best.

How much time do you had left

november

He is thats the thing, he just blew over 1000 bucks on his first kit...He played guitar for awhile in high school and has always listened to the same music as me, even from when we first met he liked Frusciante and stuff and listens to albums with me all the time and shit. That's why I really want it to work out, because he genuinely wants to, and he wants me to send demos of me playing and shit so he can practice and write over it. Is there like a way to get super good at drums in a year? Should I tell him to just practice for like 3-4 hours a day and learn Mars Volta songs if he really wants to be in a band with me?

youre at the age of applying to music school, want to apply to music school and have never written a song? wtf i had written and recorded hundreds of songs by that age. if it doesnt come naturally to you dont force it, it was never meant to be...

blue snowball

IDK I like it and I really like producing it in a lofi way but I really want a lot of people to hear it and normies don't normally like lofi music. So I have about 20 songs that I want to record when I get access to a real studio. Also I'm a senior so I think that I'm actually really far ahead of my peers as far as my age is concerned. I can honestly say without irony that my songwriting ability as far as lyrics and melody goes I'm reallygood but that's just because I've thrown away literally hundreds of songs. When all the cool kids were out skateboarding and playing video games I was writing and listening to music because my family was poor and I could illegally download anything online.

i've always created chords progressions and sometimes lyrics but never recorded them or wrote them down
i recently started again and im pretty proud of the stuff i've made so fuck you

Does it have to have lyrics?
You could always speak or rap, anyway, or maybe scream if you're into that.
Try something like this maybe, aside from the screaming. Hardly any melody in the vocals cause the dude can't sing and knows it.
youtube.com/watch?v=uHtyLYcqLPM
If you don't get into that school you can study music in a different school.

Kinda yeah, you guys seem to have so much passion for this that it would be better to help him learn, if you're patient and you REALLY want it than yeah do it with him and help him progress, it will probably all be better in the end if you do it with him rather than find someone to do it since you guys seem to have a lot of passion for this band (you don't have to take my advice Im just saying)

hate it paranoid people pretend to like it

>dont force it
Don't listen to this guy. "Meant to be" is nothing.

Any self respecting artist goes and does what he needs to do, rather than sitting and waiting for inspiration to come to them. It doesn't come naturally, you have to do it yourself. So don't get discouraged because you "don't feel it" or because "maybe it isn't for you". You have to persist

Don't listen to him, do you have everything except lyrics? And you didn't force it? Yeah you might have something

I used that song cause there's an "acoustic" version where he literally just speaks the screaming parts as well, I guess I should post that too.
youtu.be/pyL7fuOOFaU?t=41s

It takes too much time to finish anything but when it's done I usually regard it as superb

that really sounded like shit desu
is not that i cant sing, but i feel like all my lyrics suck complete ASS

Appreciate it along with all of the other advice anons left, still not quite sure what I want to do about it, but at least its a little bit clearer. I might just tell him to bust his ass if he wants to be in a band with me.

user, what bands do you like

>And you didn't force it?
no, sometimes im just messing with the guitar and stuff starts to take form
it only happens if i not force it
when i try to force it nothing happens, i dont know why, i guess it is because i lack theory knowledge

Welcome, but don't bust his ass too hard, you don't want to cause tension and come off as an ass, not trying to be mean, it's just kinda true with some bands, and when "band mates" fight it's literally the worst

If stuff actually does come to you then that's good since you can learn music theory but it's harder to learn how to make things come to you

I don't know if you mean the song or the vocals. It's really one of their most boring songs in both senses in my opinion, which is why I thought I should justify why I actually posted that one with the live version where it's all spoken.
Get someone to write the lyrics for you maybe.

Sorry if I sounded stupid that was horribly worded lmao

I mean it's okay. It's literally just vaporwave without the aesthetics. It's just a tryhard version of the caretaker

a lot
pic related is past week
why?

it's not where i want it to be

>Get someone to write the lyrics for you maybe.
that would be really gay

I meant the song, if (assuming you're not him) stuff comes to him, then that's a good thing, because it's hard to learn that, but he said he doesn't know music theory, which can be taught much easier

I did the same thing as you almost two years ago. We're a two piece band. My drummer's amazing now. His lack of formal education has led to some wild beats. I've grown immensely as a player just figuring out his stuff. We are tight. I even learned to sing and play our music (couldn't sing+play before).

Drummer also is our main lyricist. If he's into writing, do it. It worked out incredibly for our band.

I don't know what to think of my music I like it but due to the content dump that YouTube is nobody sees it. Not complaining, just saying that my cake isn't even on the table. It's still in the bakery right next to the other thousands of pastries.

A lot of those bands had arguably "forced" and maybe uninspired stuff like pink Floyd with a momentary lapse of reason or (arguably not hating on anyone's opinion) ummagumma. Yet they made incredible albums as well, so just because stuff doesn't come to you instantly doesn't mean you don't "have it"

Have anything you can share?

That's good news to me, how long did it take before you were able to actively write and play with him? I jam with him a few times a week for hours at a time, so there's that for reference.

lol, just put it out. I'm a rap producer and I have heard it all. You being aware of your flaws make you 100 Times better than 90% everybody.

Life is always so difficult, I am 18 now and I staarted playing with some guys but its always hard to schedule, and I never practice my instrument (bass) as much as I'd like to because its not as exciing playing alone and because I have to fill my music writting love quota I just dick around with my other instruments whenever I'm not busy with college or gf. I've written more piano and guitar melodies than bass lines lately. Ahhhh

I kinda agree with being alone, for me it's
Alone- write
Other people- play

it's shit from an objective standpoint but partially because i want it to be shit and partially because i am inept at making music

I can't sing that well, can't make songs with good structure, instrumentation is too minimal and basic, lyrics are cliche and expected. Basically I suck

I think my band has been improving a lot over the past two years. My guitarist and I have been best friends for years, and even though it drives me crazy that he's not a perfectionist like I am, he comes up with some of the most creative stuff even without having much formal education on music. Our vision differs a little bit, he's much more of an optimist and hopes to become well-known someday, but he helps give me the drive to keep going because I'm much more pessimistic about that sort of thing.

We mesh so well now that he'll show me new songs and I can write drums to them nearly instantly because I'm able to see his vision for it, it's a lot of fun

yeezy though

Sounds awesome trips, any links? Like a soundcloud or bandcamp page?

just apply to electro acoustics lol

Anybody else gets melodies or whatever from dreams? Is the dopest shit, feels like a gift from the brain.

i would but i can make pop so i will try with that first ok

That happened once! And when I woke up I instantly recorded it on my phone, it was so surreal because it sounded like a bunch of people singing it to me in my dream

Kieth Richards apparently came up with Satisfaction from a dream.

mind was reggae-ish and i also remember psychedelic visuals
based

It used to really frustrate me that I can never escape my influences but then I stopped giving a shit and started making music because it's fun. That's when I started making music I was semi-satisfied with.

tropinka.bandcamp.com (sorry if its like self-advertising but i just use it to store my music)
Is my music any good? I have been alone for too long and I think my mind has drifted off too far.

Sadly no.
Right out of the gate. His technical deficiency was never a problem. He always sounded good in the room, just not on recordings until sometime earlier this year.

I spent a good chunk of 2014's college winter break jamming out songs with him, and then we weren't as productive during parts of 2015. We found our sound via a good song in April 2015. He still had timing issues then. I became our singer in September 2015--still some timing issues. Now, I think we're a few months away from being professional-grade. Sorry for the long story. We play at least 12 hours a week, sometimes 20-40 when we're lucky/on a vacation. Good luck, friend. It's a hard road but you'll be prouder than shit when you glimpse The Emerald City and Oz

I found some friends to make a joke album together that we'll probably cringe over in a few years.

But I haven't had this much fun and haven't been this driven to complete something in a long time.

I hallucinate beautiful melodies when I'm overtired and barely lucid but can never remember them once I'm more awake.

>tfw never have a connection so great with other musician as the AnCo boys have because they are childhood friends
life is suffering

I get a lot of ideas from dreams, not exactly melodies but If I know how it felt I could try to make something out of it desu

it all feels really shallow and weak, plastic almost. i've tried countless time to write lyrics to try and cover the cheap production, but i don't like putting things up for people to interpret. i go through phases of composing 3 or 4 songs in a week and the months of nothing sticking. i just wish i could make a beat good enough to kill myself to.

my inexperience doesn't allow me to make exactly the music I wanna make, but I'm pretty ok with what I'm doing atm

I just wish I could get my band together cause I'm trying out the J Mascis "the best way to learn is by playing in bands" mantra.