Someone please give me a cool chord progression I can rip so I can finally write a song

Someone please give me a cool chord progression I can rip so I can finally write a song

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1QaJuLXrEEV
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I-IV-V

this

I - I - I - I - IV - IV - I - I - V - IV - I - V

until now this progression has been my best kept secret ;)

My go-to

also here is carlos santanas secret chord progression

i - IV7

+10 points if anyone gets this reference

>"hover"board
>it doesn't actually hover

explain this shit

isus4 - isus4 - i - i - V - #V - IV - VII - V - #V
Fuck around with the bass notes of the first 2 chords and its pretty decent kinda edgy though

yes it makes no sense especially when actual hoverboards exist now

what's the alternative name though, "handleless segway"

>sus
get out of here Ed Sheeran

My chord progressions are top secret

although here's one I just made up:
Emin Bflatmajor Eflatmajor Gflat minor

plz record and post results :^)

Roger Joseph Manning Jr. (famed session keyboard player and co-founder of GOAT band Jellyfish) once said that suspended chords make for really great chord progressions because the suspensions provide a "neverending" feeling since tension is built and resolutions are delayed - especially if you find the right way to string them one after another.

The proper method of doing this is taught in college music theory classes, and it blows my mind every time I see it done, because I can't seem to do it in a way that sounds pleasing.

TLDR: suspended chords can be good sometimes... but you're right, probably not the way Ed Sheeran uses them.

The suspended chord sounds unresolved because the traditional third scale degree is omitted. If the omitted third scale degree (in the context of the last chord) is present in the next chord it resolves the tension of the last chord, yet has already continued.

This I know.

How can this board know so much about theory sometimes and still listen to shitty pop/rock that utilizes almost none of it?

/spoilers anonymous is more than one person

Citation needed goddamn what are you thinking

When I first played through this progression, I didn't like it - it just sounded too weird. But with some good inversions and 6s thrown in - especially on the Bb chord - it sounds a bit more pleasing to the ear.

This is just me doing a shitty piano improv over the progression (there's a couple of starts and stops and just some fucking around) but this is roughly how that sounds

vocaroo.com/i/s1QaJuLXrEEV

>implying knowledge of constructing music
changes what you like.
You understand shit better when you listen once you know theory but its about the creative output not calculations.

Wow I didn't actually expect this. To be honest that wasn't meant to be a serious chord progression; i literally just made it up on the spot.

I appreciate the effort though :) I'm definitely saving this

just because someone understands and has the ability to draw something doesn't mean it'll be something people want to look at.

there are musicians who know next to nothing about theory who've made better songs than people who've been studying for years. it's a skill helped by that knowledge, but a skill on its own nonetheless

theres soo so much more to music than just music theory. what about textures, production value, lyrics, concepts and even image? these are all valuable aspects of music.
plus
>pop/rock
>not utilizing music theory.

also

Standing wheelchair

>vocaroo.com/i/s1QaJuLXrEEV
you're pretty good at piano mate, keep it up

the most secret-est progression isn't a progression at all, its a vamp.

autism, the post. If we wanna talk about music, lets talk about music. Music is an artform based on sound. Everything that you mentioned falls under the catagory of marketing.

>music is an artform
wrong
music is entertainment
as such, it's not distinguishable from its marketing strategies.

>autism, the post
>mfw the post is not even remotely autustic

Thanks! I just realized that I played Gb major instead of minor - sorry about that!

Please don't believe this, music truly has the capacity to be more than entertainment and many great works of music throughout history stand testament to this

>green is a color
wrong
green is something you see

>more than entertainment
entertainment > art
art is something you stroke your ego over, entertainment is something you enjoy
a qualia, to be technically precise

>texture and production value is marketing
wait what? so, musicians making the choice if instruments should blend together into a whole, or be easily distinguished from another isnt relevant? choosing to use lo-fi recording equipment or expensive high end stuff is just a marketing ploy?

besides that.
>2016
>still thinking modern music is consumed in a vaccum, not recognizing that an album is a complex package of signifiers that all shape and influence your perception of the music.
>still thinking youre able to interpret and think critically about music while disregarding cultural context, visual presentation and lyrical content.

>art is something you stroke your ego over
>music is entertainment, as such it's not distinguishable from its marketing strategies
Do you seriously believe that something marketable isn't something people stroke their ego over? Do you seriously believe that people can't appreciate art?